Model Cars Magazine Forum

Flintstone resin Porsche 550

PatW

It came like this.........................

1FlintstoneResinPorsche550_zps88ad249a.j

A body, A chassis with seats and a firewall to go behind the seats..............

46_zps7cb8302c.jpg

47_zps79f94c6a.jpg

49_zpsd3faea97.jpg

51_zpsd0fc3839.jpg

As a lifelong fan of VW Beetles I'm glad I kept spare parts like gearstick, pedals, wheels/tyres, rear and front lights to add to this build. The alloy mesh grilles were made from a 1970's car bodywork patch-up kit.

I couldn't decide whether to go round the panel gaps with a fine graph pen. Since I took the pictures I've gone over the rear rubber bonnet tie downs with a black sharpie.

Edited by PatW

Thanks guys, yes the gas pedal isn't quite stock. It's from a Union VW Beetle kit that offered standard Beetle and drag Beetle with different chassis, wheels, supercharged V8 motor, including various chromed extra's like the gas pedal.

32_zpsfa1eda2b.jpg

Oh and I made the fuel filler cap out of a door mirror and a strip of plastic............

38fillercap_zpsb8570912.jpg

always like to see this sort of thing built up, but one question: is it a trick of the photography or is the body really that rough, especially in the back? I have this Flintstone body but don't recall it being like that. but I also haven't painted or primed it or anything and that's typically when those nasty surprises jump out at you.

fujimi 356 wheels and tires?

jb

Well jb the bodyshell in places is not totally smooth. Although it is in my estimation very good quality and the detailing is correct. I would have sanded it all down but the fear of taking off most of the detail stopped me.

I didn't primer the body, which would have made a difference.

Yes the wheels were off an old 356 kit but I also had an old Beetle kit with the same rims and tyres, but only 4-bolt pattern.

>I also had an old Beetle kit with the same rims and tyres

maybe that was the revell 356 kit then? because I don't think the fujimi wheels, which are minor masterpieces in and of themselves, were ever available anywhere else. I could well be wrong, could you show a pic of the beetle kit with those rims please? would be interested in knowing otherwise.

jb