Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hot Dog Lovers = Tony Packo

A taco is a taco.

A pizza is a pizza.

A "taco pizza" is neither one. It's a train wreck. ^_^

There was a little pizza shop in the north-central-west corner of the state (now gone, unfortunately,) that had a taco pizza that sounded awful, but it was absolutely delectable.

Don't knock it 'till you try it.

Charlie Larkin

Neon relish is just regular relish (what you call piccalilli), but they put green food coloring in it. I have no idea why, but is is bright green!

Actually, piccalilli, while a relish, is actually green tomatoes and a little bit of pimento, relish is relish- diced pickles, peppers, etc. Slightly different.

If you have the opportunity, look up Howard's Foods in Danvers, Mass., I believe they'll ship anywhere.

Deep dish pizza- when I was in Chicago in 2000, my friend who was living there and I went to Lou Maniatti's (sp.?) and I'll say this....it beat the pants off of Uno. Don't get me wrong, Uno's is good, but that was phenomenal.

Harry- do I even want to know what you think of Greek pizza??? (The way my shop here makes it- and the way I like it, white sauce, ground lamb formed into strips and sliced thin, feta, lettuce and diced tomatoes.

Charlie Larkin

We once had a fancy family affair with the best prime rib! Some old Irish relatives needed theirs well done and then covered it with Ketchup! Yuk!

Sacrilige! One of my friends used to put ketchup on her steaks. I broke her of that (and a lot of other) culinary bad practices. Still need to get her to stop adding salt to everything- woman will put half a shaker on her already salted french fries.

Prime rib for me- rare, horseradish, maybe a little pepper or a very small amount of A-1. Serve with green beans, carrots, and a baked potato.

Charlie Larkin

Edited by charlie8575

Deep dish pizza- when I was in Chicago in 2000, my friend who was living there and I went to Lou Maniatti's (sp.?) and I'll say this....it beat the pants off of Uno. Don't get me wrong, Uno's is good, but that was phenomenal.

Lou Malnati's.

Harry- do I even want to know what you think of Greek pizza??? (The way my shop here makes it- and the way I like it, white sauce, ground lamb formed into strips and sliced thin, feta, lettuce and diced tomatoes.

That may be tasty, but it's just not "pizza." I don't know where this trend of calling all sorts of things that aren't pizza "pizza" came from, but it makes no sense to me. So we take a pizza crust, top it with corned beef slices and cabbage, and we have an "Irish pizza?" Top it with sauerkraut and dumplings and we have a "German pizza?" Top it with rice and beans and we have a "Mexican pizza?"

I don't think so...

That may be tasty, but it's just not "pizza." I don't know where this trend of calling all sorts of things that aren't pizza "pizza" came from, but it makes no sense to me. So we take a pizza crust, top it with corned beef slices and cabbage, and we have an "Irish pizza?" Top it with sauerkraut and dumplings and we have a "German pizza?" Top it with rice and beans and we have a "Mexican pizza?"

I don't think so...

The Irish and Mexican pizzas- not so appetizing.

The German pizza: add some sausage, perhaps replace the tomato sauce with brown gravy to go with the spaetzle, and you might be on to something.

Charlie Larkin

Here, slightly west of Philly, we have "ovals". These look like pizza, but I'm told it's more of a stromboli / calzone that they didn't bother to fold over and left open face. It's oval in shape like a football, but still cut into slices. It's a personal pizza size and you can order a mess of usual and odd things on it. You have to specify if you want pizza sauce or cheese on it. I guess technically they haven't broken any pizza laws. My wife usually orders the cheese steak oval, with sauce on the side. Pretty good... being my wife she only eats about half of it, so I eat the other half after my meal. Kinda why I married her!

Maybe. But it wouldn't be pizza. ;)

Lahmejuan= Armenian pizza.

Ground lamb, peppers and onions on lavish. Not Italian pizza, but the concept is identical, and it's been one of my favorite things since I was a little kid. It's really the only way I like lamb aside from shish kebab.

You have a decent sized Armenian community in Chicagoland, there must be one good Armenian grocer someplace.

Either that, or see when the churches are having their picnics, and go check it out.

Charlie Larkin

If you want the best pizza in the world (or the best hot dogs), you need to come here to Chicago. Nobody does either one better. Different... but not better. B)

We may have the most corrupt politicians in the country... but we also have the best hot dogs and pizza! :D