Model Cars Magazine Forum

I'm new here.An intoduction and pics of my favorite build

My name is Darin Bastedo, I've been building models for about 32 years. As you get to know me you'll find that I build just about anything from Replica Stock to the wildest of customs and show rods. I have Big soft spot for Cobras and other sports cars of the 60's.

My friends joke around that my favorite color is primer gray because i always have about a dozen in-progress projects. I reside in Kingsport TN and work in retail sales.

My favorite build to date is this 1967 AC 289. while to the untrained eye it looks like a 427 Street cobra, there are many subtle changes to it. The AC 289 was produced in England for domestic consumption, athough a few were exported to europe, and a couple even made it across the pond to the good old USA. It used a standard 289 engine similar in tune to that used in the leaf spring cobras but was put in the coil sprung 427 chassis. the rear fenders are the narrow 427 fenders that graced the first 30 Street 427 cars. they were used on this version because it used the narrower wire wheels that would have looked silly in wider 427 S/C fenders that the majority of 427 cars had. I made this modification to the Monogram 427 street Cobra kit, as well as filling the side pipe holes, scratch building the rear exit exhaust and adding Detail master wire wheels. so without further ado, here are the pics...

DSCF1127-vi.jpg

DSCF1128-vi.jpg

DSCF1129-vi.jpg

DSCF1130-vi.jpg

DSCF1131-vi.jpg

DSCF1132-vi.jpg

DSCF1133-vi.jpg

DSCF1134-vi.jpg

DSCF1136-vi.jpg

DSCF1140-vi.jpg

A photo of the real thing...

ac_289_01-vi.jpg

Hope to get to know you all better.

Darin Bastedo

HMMMM, looks like the big block body shape. So, the other AMT one is representative of the 289s we see in the US?

The amt kit is of a first generation 289 Cobra, and more specificly an early one at that. it has no fender vents, and worm gear steering. The monogram cobras are 427 Cobras. This Model technically isn't a Cobra at all. In 1967 when Shelby Cobra production ended they continued building them but didn't use the Cobra name. also the 427 engine was very expensive so they used the less expensive 289 engine.

The official name of this car is "AC 289". It was never officially imported to the USA, but a handful made it here.

Snake fan! 8) great build it almost gives reason to the 289 powered

trans leaf sprung kit that Sunny produced many moons ago at least

the body would be right.

Pretty sure the Sunny kit is a modified knock-off of the AMT 289 Cobra. The AMT Cobra is indeed an early car, and because it's been re-issued so many times, the tooling is tired. Monogram's 1:43 Ultimates Cobra is a far superior, albeit smaller, kit. If you can hang loose for a while, Accurate Miniatures is tooling up an all new, 1:24 FIA/USRRC 289 Cobra.