Model Cars Magazine Forum

1967 Chevy Impala SS Wagon

Ron35369

This is a resin kit that I built last year from R&R Resin. I used the 67 Impala kit from AMT for a donor. The side & tailgate windows are made from thin acetate. The paint is Cadillac medium Rosewood with dark Rosewood on the rocker panels. I would have liked the stance to be a bit lower but the resin wasn't cooperating for that. So it is standing tall & proud. Hope you enjoy.

67ImpalaWagon9.jpg

67ImpalaWagon1.jpg

67ImpalaWagon2.jpg

67ImpalaWagon5.jpg

67ImpalaWagon8.jpg

67ImpalaWagon3.jpg

67ImpalaWagon6.jpg

Thanks again everyone for the comments. Jamie, my paint process is fairly simple. Once I get the body sanded the way I want I use a piece of tack cloth & wipe everything down. Next I spray automotive lacquer primer in sever thin layers. Next I gently sand with 400 grit if I think the primer is too rough. Then I spray three coats of base coat or more if there's not full coverage. Then I spray a first coat of House of Kolor clear in a light coating & wait till it tacks up. Then I spray a full wet second coat of clear. Most times thats enough but sometimes I need a third coat. Once the clear dries I usually polish the hood, trunk & top with a micro mesh polishing kit & give it a final rub out on the entire body with Turtle scratch & swirel remover. Thats about it.

You did a fine job and the car looks great! it's nice to see it sitting like it should as the lowered thing is getting old and frankly, it does nothing for most models at all IMHO. Variety is the spice of life and being creative is what model building is all about and to each his own. But you couldn't improve on this build unless you added a set of stock sized white wall tires.. they'd go nicely with those wheels and that colour. I respect everyones builds whether they be custom, rod or stock and I do nt like to criticize, but this is one car that you just can't improve from the stock look on aside from the rally wheels. it looks like the caster did a fairly good job on this one as well. AAA+++

Thanks again for the great responses, I do appreciate it. Gary, you hit the nail on the head...Variety is the spice of life. I like to build a variety of models & I usually build them the way I would like to drive them if they were the real thing. Dominik, I'm glad you like this one...I have many more resin wagons waiting in the wings to be built when I get the time. Just something about the long roofs that is so cool.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks again guys, for all the great comments. James, the R&R Resin kits have very few pin holes but they do require quite a bit of clean up & in some cases a lot of thinning to get parts to fit properly. All in all, they do fill a blank area, so I won't complain too loudly.