Model Cars Magazine Forum

Police cars I have driven

Agent G

Here's a few of the cars I have driven over the years. I built a couple more but donated them to the police academy library when I retired.

This Caprice was my favorite of all. First police car I ever drove with power windows, power seat, and CARPET! :P

DSCF2431.jpg

DSCF2432.jpg

DSCF2433.jpg

I liked this Ford but blew the engine responding to a call. :lol:

DSCF2434.jpg

DSCF2436.jpg

This one is a WIP. I drove several just like this in the district.

DSCF2449.jpg

DSCF2450.jpg

G

I liked this Ford but blew the engine responding to a call. :lol:

DSCF2434.jpg

You shouldn't have been going so fast! :P Seriously, though, all are nice builds (even though I see the Ford is a diecast) and looks like the last is already wonderfully started. Nice work.

All are very nice, clean builds and I do like them all. The interior shot of the caprice looks good and I like how the seats look like real vinyl. I agree that design and overall appearance of the older Caprice is very pleasing to the eye but then I have always liked those cars. However, I do have to say that whoever designed the dash board layout on those cars didn't have much in the way of taste as they are very plain. Never the less, I have never owned a Chev of that vintage but we have had several '84/85 Buick wagons and I really liked the dash design on those.

Nice builds.. do you have plans to do any more police cars?

:):):)

Thanks guys.

Yes we have always had simple graphics. Strange really as we always drove cars with a mid level or better trim package. Look at the Caprice's side mouldings. I replicated that with Evergreen styrene, unique for that era for sure.

The Brick and the Caprice have what we called the "football". I found it strange that for many years from the front or rear there was nothing to indicate a police car. :)

If anyone ever made a plastic late model CV I'd be in heaven.

I'm going to build a 2000 Impala, the one I drove the most before I retired. I inherited it in '05 with 16,000 on the clock and it was cherry. Naturally I drove it like I stole it, hence the '06 in this photo!

DSCF0141.jpg

G

Edited by AgentG

I assume the 'football' logo was derived from the traditional MO Hwy Patrol markings since it looks similar. Do you have any idea where MHP came up with it? Its just such a unique but immediately identifiable "brand!"

Nice models. Building replicas of my old 'rides' has been a goal of mine for a long time ... still unfulfilled, however. (Although I have finally one on the bench ... ready for BMF and final assembly.)

I assume the 'football' logo was derived from the traditional MO Hwy Patrol markings since it looks similar. Do you have any idea where MHP came up with it? Its just such a unique but immediately identifiable "brand!"

Nice models. Building replicas of my old 'rides' has been a goal of mine for a long time ... still unfulfilled, however. (Although I have finally one on the bench ... ready for BMF and final assembly.)

Danno, The back seat detail should be spot-on from your perspecive!

Actually the MSHP designed their's from ours after we patterened ours from their logo ;). MSHP introduced a football shaped logo just prior to WWII. They went back to block letters for the wars duration then reintroduced it in '46 or so. We designed ours patterened after their's then they developed what they have now!

For a while every department in the St Louis area used a version of the football as a door logo.

The original Troopers were trained at the St. Louis Police Academy. The blouse worn back then as standard uniform was patterned after our blouse but a different color. Same with the Sam Browne belt. We wore that cross strap until the mid 70's, the troopers still do. MSHP Lieutenants and above wear brown leather, as did the first troopers.

G

Edited by AgentG

Wayne,

Interesting. I stand corrected and appreciate your setting me straight.

Just goes to show how misconceptions can be developed; one often assumes the larger, 'state' agency was the lead in developing practices or traditions that the 'local' agencies adopt. However, often it is the case that the larger agencies jump on bandwagons developed elsewhere.

And, if it is anything like I've seen in the areas I worked, even if a larger agency appropriates someone else's idea, it only takes a few years for them to convince themselves it was their idea all along ... unless it doesn't work!

Cheers!

Usually the state agency is the lead in training and development. In our case the SLMPD existed way before the MSHP.

St Louis as it is organized now dates from 1869. The MSHP didn't exist until 1925, with the first troopers being sworn in in late 1926 or early '27.

Curiously, St Louis always patterened its uniforms after New York. St L.,NY, Philadelphia and Chicago were all roughly the same size back in the 1800's to early 1900's. They traded ideas, uniform designs, and technology freely then.

ALL were based on London's Metropolitan Police.

G

My first cruiser was a 73 Plymouth Fury with a 440 magnum that was issued to me out of the academy. Then we went back to Fords, thankfully. I had a 76, a 78, an 82, an 84, an 86 an 88, a 90, a 92, and a 94. You see, in the CSP, we were all issued a cruiser which we kept and drove 24/7/365, on and off duty! Then in 1996 I retired! No more cruisers! LOL

My first cruiser was a 73 Plymouth Fury with a 440 magnum that was issued to me out of the academy. Then we went back to Fords, thankfully. I had a 76, a 78, an 82, an 84, an 86 an 88, a 90, a 92, and a 94. You see, in the CSP, we were all issued a cruiser which we kept and drove 24/7/365, on and off duty! Then in 1996 I retired! No more cruisers! LOL

Typical of a big city PD we didn't get to take them home. Fortunately for many years I only shared the car with one other sergeant. He was as anal as me when it came to our "office" so it was all good.

Ain't retirement great!

G

Single red 'gum machine' on top and a S&W siren. Ah, the good old days!

Yes indeed, the good old days!

Trouble is most of us are deaf or nearly so in the right ear from that 1 gazillion watt siren on the roof. God bless OSHA and CALEA for fixingh that issue.

G

Guest Johnny

Yes indeed, the good old days!

Trouble is most of us are deaf or nearly so in the right ear from that 1 gazillion watt siren on the roof. God bless OSHA and CALEA for fixingh that issue.

G

I know around here when the "modern" siren first appeared the old officers wouldn't use it like the old one. They would just hit it as they approached traffic or busy intersections!laugh.gif

Great Police car builds! cool.gif