Model Cars Magazine Forum

see a build , gotta have it

As model builders do we ever stop buying kits? l have not yet....

My best guess ,,,,,is no.

I walked away from actually building for nearly 10 years. and I would still buy something when it caught my eye . I guess thats why I have the stash I have.

My best guess ,,,,,is no.

I walked away from actually building for nearly 10 years. and I would still buy something when it caught my eye . I guess thats why I have the stash I have.

I just recently started my second build in about 8 yrs. But yet every year at NNL East alone I'll drop money and drag stuff home. Now that I'm building I'll probably step it up some.

On a related note: I found SIX Ross Gibson resin Mopar engines scattered in 3 different places. $20-odd a pop and I lost 6 of 'em..... :o

I'll probably leave a stipulation in my will that while on the way to the cemetary, the funeral procession must stop at a hobby shop and buy one more kit for me!!! :blink::lol:

Hmmm...

Time to update my will. :rolleyes:

Dave, that is a very good point. I have been caught up in the better get it now or it will never be available again routine. I have purchased kits at my LHS that they have bought in collections for a fraction of the new price as well as at shows. Those impossible to find very expensive kits often come up for less than $10 at shows.

I stopped buying kits for future projects about 10 years ago. Now I only buy a kit for the current project I'm working on. I let others buy the kits and then store then for me.

When I need one I may pay a tiny bit more for it, but I figure the extra cost I'm paying goes to the guy who brought the kit and stored it for me. And sometimes the kit costs even less then the original price when new. This is not an easy thing to do because I want some of the new kits just because they are cool kits. I have to constantly resist the urge to buy.

When you think about it, how many new kits go way up in value 5 or 10 years after they first go on sale? I would say very very few of them.

OK so maybe this is one that went up. I paid about $20 for it a few years ago. Now it's up to about $50 with shipping.

But I still have no plans for the kit yet.

$(KGrHqF,!lkE9K8O-wq,BP(e,b!rhQ~~60_57.J

I'll probably leave a stipulation in my will that while on the way to the cemetary, the funeral procession must stop at a hobby shop and buy one more kit for me!!! :blink::lol:

Hey, it's often custom for the procession to pass your house so why not have them pass your favorite hobby shop too!

My kit buying habits have evolved. When I first got back into model cars, I would buy new kits that I knew I wanted to build. I'd buy them as soon as they came out because I didn't want to miss out. My kit stash grew by a lot, and it's to the point where I feel guilty about the size.

Now that I've been to a few model car shows, I realized that most if the kits I will want to build in the future will be available for half-price. So, I've pretty much stopped buying new kits, and stick to the swap meets. I do keep my eye out for rare kits, but mostly I window shop, and spend my hobby budget on detail parts and paint.

I think you hit upon a few things. First, my building habits have changed a lot over the years. I joined the formal hobby to build Mopar muscle cars. Then I was into factory stock cars, the first model I did was a '57 Ford, being followed by a '57 Nomad. I was going to build all the classics in order. Then I met Joe Cavorley and he got me to veer off into light commercial. I got into buying obscure Japanese kits for a while. Don Banes persuaded me to collect dune buggies and other small 4x4s. And now I'm building rat rods and such. So many of the kits I bought many moons ago no longer interest me. Still, I will go through a box and find stuff I swear I never saw before!

I have about 4 of those pink bugs. I am thinking the same!

My only advise is keep track of what you have in your collection otherwise you will end up with 4 pink bugs. :)

and pink bugs are only a problem if you don't have any paint! :) That's actually a nice body with the flairs on it. I have one, could always use a few more.. wait, that's what got me in trouble in the first place.