Model Cars Magazine Forum

Texaco Gas Station design

Repstock

I like Joe's Garage, but where are you going to find a 54 Dodge with a mashed up door ??? The Stratocaster with a whammy bar can be found in the 2006 Dodge Magnum SRT8 kit..........people are either going to get that or not.

OR NOT!!!

Frank Zappa.....Joe's Garage

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oH8u9PxWJo

Edited by Ju Ju

In 1988 I ran a Boron station that looked like A but in reverse with bay doors on the left. It was leveled after I left for a more modern building and Mini Mart. We were still pumping gas for everyone back than . We had the oldest pumps in the area that standard oil still used.

The Porcelain outside on B makes a fine looking station . My late friend had many panels that he was going to use for his office walls in his restoration shop .

Enough rambling I vote for A if you are counting . LOL I just wish I had pictures for you to look at.

For anyone really folowing this subject in an archtecturial sense, the second shot is what is refered to as a "Denver " style station. These predated the "Porclean " boxes by about ten years .

Edited by Eshaver

• 2 weeks later...

Scored a folder of a couple hundred vintage pics taken by a Texaco rep in Idaho in the forties. He had taken 2-3 shots of each station as well as bulk plants

tex-11_zpseebc527f.jpg

I like this one. The clipped corner and angled pumps is a very unique feature.

Is that a Cadillac at the pumps? I can't quite see the hood ornament well enough to tell.

Charlie Larkin

• 4 weeks later...

Cool thread...I like B then C after that. Can you get plans for these anywhere? or do you just have to build off pictures and reference stuff for sizes?

I have plans for "A" and "B" (I have access to remaining actual structures), but I haven't located a "C" design yet. For the last several years, I have been locating stations of the '70s, and with my eldest son, measuring them. These measurements are used to create an AutoCad drawing in 1/25 scale. So far I have done two Texacos, a Clark, a Shell, and a Phillips 66 station.

Tom, you jus gave out yer secret. Few of us have access to Auto Cad ....................

When I worked for peanuts for a small robotics company, I had the program on my computer, and taught myself (with the help of a sympathetic engineer) how to muddle through it. One of the few perks of working there. To this day I think that company only existed as a shelter for ventures in which the owner was actually interested.

• 3 weeks later...

Ahh, "B" brings back lots of memories of vacations in the 60's. We would stop at Texaco's when possible because that was the only credit card my dad had.

I can almost hear the double "ding" as cars pulled up/away and ran across the black hose that alerted the attendants.

The "chime" of the pump as the gallons ticked away.

The "whine" of the impact wrench coming from the garage section.

Inside the office area the pleasant (to me) "aroma" of new tires.

You would also have to take advantage of the "free" road maps. One of each state or local region. Stations near sate borders were a bonus as they tended to have maps of several nearby states.

Surprisingly I don't ever recall anyone at the station questioning why my sister, my brother, and I each needed an armful of the same selection of maps. Wish I would have kept these as some have value in the collectors market.

Thanks for the memories!

Edited by spawndude

• 3 months later...

I have plans for "A" and "B" (I have access to remaining actual structures), but I haven't located a "C" design yet. For the last several years, I have been locating stations of the '70s, and with my eldest son, measuring them. These measurements are used to create an AutoCad drawing in 1/25 scale. So far I have done two Texacos, a Clark, a Shell, and a Phillips 66 station.

I've since added a different Shell and Gulf.

• 2 months later...

Dass O K , people tell me I do pretty good working off two dimensional photographs and then transposing into a 3- D building . You need to be in Norfolk Virginia October 26th to see my two newest I P M S weapons .................

I have started the "B" design and am posting it in another thread. I was wondering...was this a "style" of station with a name, like the "Denver" or "Matawan"? I am curious to find out as much as I can about it. It's one thing to just copy the measurements off a building, it's another to really know something about it.

Tom, by 1940, Texaco was doing four porcelain boxes , A B C D . The Matawan came about as a result of Mrs Johnson during her husband's presidential term . The fences in front of junk years , Beautify America was kind of a collaboration between Shell Oil and her staff. It was the famous "Porcelain box" that was a target . In Texaco terms , this was a "B " station , uh two bays , rectangle standard lot shape . Now I don't what questions you have pertaining to Texaco's buildings , I'll try and answer them in a P-M .