Model Cars Magazine Forum

1950 Chevy Texaco, box stock *Update 6/25/12*

Hey, I bought this kit at a Hobby Lobby. It was 20 bucks for glue, tamiya sandbag kit, and this kit thanks to a coupon. This kit is great except for a few minor tics. The cab and front fenders have mold lines that need to be sanded and the cab is molded incorrectly. Also, the instructions don't say what color to paint it, so I painted the engine red...

DSC03666.jpg

DSC03667.jpg

This is the way I want to build it.

DSC03668.jpg

Earlier today I found a red that I had and used for the engine, I thought it looked like the red from Texaco so I used it. It turned out great on the fenders I need another can.

Here are the fenders painted red with no clear. I need to paint white on the body and cab then I will paint red for the front fenders. I also painted the steel wheels red from the fenders.

DSC03657.jpg

The wheels.

DSC03658.jpg

The engine and the light for the roof.

DSC03660.jpg

DSC03661.jpg

Edited by '08SEAL

Looking good. i would suggest using BMF on the rails. It looks good and would also be eaisier than painting. As I said, it's just a suggestion.

I don't do bmf. It's just one thing I don't do. I just don't buy it and I don't do it. I just painted white on the cab and rest. I need the red on font fenders then decals and clearcoat.

I don't do bmf. It's just one thing I don't do. I just don't buy it and I don't do it. I just painted white on the cab and rest. I need the red on font fenders then decals and clearcoat.

Just curious, but why? It makes model looking much better with BMF applied than chrome trims painted silver. ;)

Chevy Pickup looks very good so far! Paint job on the fenders turned out great, and I'm sure that this is going to be amazing build.

I'm with you on the bmf Lane, I have used it and hate it. It never looks right unless you get it perfect and I have ruined too many other wise good paint jobs with it combined with the Exacto blade. I did a set of rails with foil and another with silver paint, guess what I like the paint better. I use silver paint or a Prismacolor pen with clear over. I am working on this same kit right now. Mine is green and black. Keep it going, I'm interested in what you are doing with the chain and other details.

Just curious, but why? It makes model looking much better with BMF applied than chrome trims painted silver. ;)

Chevy Pickup looks very good so far! Paint job on the fenders turned out great, and I'm sure that this is going to be amazing build.

it's just the way I build models I guess. I like silver paint and don't see the difference with bmf

Of course it's your build, and you do what you want, and whatever you do, it will look good. I'm sure of it, your talents are great! :P

But give it a try at some point, BMF is easy to use once you learn it, and it really makes the model much less toylike.

Edited by W-409

Got some work done on it. I only work at night for 2 reasons, New Mexico heat and my cousins are here and more coming tomorrow. The paint on the cab is the best I can do. I would repaint red and get it on the white, vice versa with the white.

DSC03670.jpg

DSC03671.jpg

DSC03675.jpg

DSC03676.jpg

This is the pan for the bed. 21 sandbags, a bumper (weathered to perfection, IMO, with Dr. Crankys chrome technique.), a header, a tire, and a chain.

DSC03673.jpg

DSC03674.jpg

Thanks for looking! All comments appreciated, rather bad nor good.

Looking really cool ! Your paint is just fine , don't worry about it . The sand bags look alot better after the little fire , and the bumper ( ? ) painted black and yellow looks great .

It's a push bar, in place of the front bumper. The front bumper is what you see in the bed of the pickup. Its not paint either. Its a decal and I'm lucky it dried with a flat finish.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

the bed is looking great! What about the fire? have i "over read" something?

One question or fingertip: if the truck is heavy load with all the stuff, have you thought about the stanc of the back wheels / axle? If it is lower in the back, it would look much more realistic ;)

Edited by Dominik