Model Cars Magazine Forum

Fellow builders, I present to you..the Dohc Duece

Gray Smith

hey guys, been a while since i've been posting anything, I moved, started a new job and am still getting settled with the new baby. Anyway with this year being the 75th Anniversary of the Duece i'm going to try and get this done. I've been building on this since about 97 or so and just couldn't decide on a direction to go with it. Well i'm trying out a pro touring meets some old school build styles, with some vintage flair thrown in.

its the body is heavily channeled, sitting on an amt phantom vickie frame with the 4.6 motor modded to look a little old(flathead heads modded to fit the valve covers and my own version of a hilborn efi system). Front suspension will be phantom vickie, rear suspension will hopefully be a '99 mustang cobra irs. Color will be tamiya dark blue metallic, wheels are modded revell salt flat specials in wide and wider with some MPC Motorsports tires. It will get a horizontal bar grill and the lower pan will be molded in to cover the suspension mounts, and to tie in the quad projector headlights. Hope you guys like it, as always comments and critisms are welcome, also hope you don't mind the pic quality, its my dads camera and while it does have macro..the lights in his place aren't the best for taking good pics

100_0421.jpg

100_0422.jpg

100_0427.jpg

100_0423.jpg

100_0424.jpg

Thanks guys

Gray

I like the channeling of the body. Just the right amount of "dropping". However, I think you should take at least 1/4 inch out of the radiator shell. Maybe even a little more so that if you were to fit a hood to the body there would be a slight slope toward the front. If you do this mod, then simply cut off the bottom of the chrome grille for fit.

Bob :shock:

Brian, i'm still not sure about them either, the idea I had looked better in my mind, I just wanted something a little prettier than the regular mod motor vc's. I'll keep working on them, or i'll come up with something else...

Bob, been thinking of doing that, but I want to use a photoetch grill, mcg does offer a chopped grill shell though with horizontal bars...might give that a try, but the lower portion (the splash pan) won't be as low as shown, i've got a bit of work to do on the grill if I don't use a chopped grill..lol

thanks for the comments guys

Looking good. Are the intake trumpets the eyelets available at craft stores? I think I bought some to use for that application, so if that's what they are then I know they can look good now. Keep those updates coming. Deuce day is just over a month away!

yep that they are, i got em from michaels, i've got some of the black ones shown and some shiney aluminum ones...3 bucks for a package of 100

they are kind of big though, for systems where the intake openings are closer the trumpets will need to be filed flat to get closer..

That is neat! I love the stance and channel job, and the injection looks great. The Cobra IRS is going out in the mail today - You should have it by Friday. Hope it works for you. Looking forward to seeing more of this one, and the completed build on 3/2!