Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tamiya Toyota Hiace Quick Delivery -- Motor City Version

This is probably my all-time favorite kit. I've imagined it as a delivery vehicle for shop named on the side. It has been used hard and has repeatedly been the target of graffiti taggers. I can't really get a good shot of the load area but it holds a scratchbuilt box that looks pretty cool. Lots of weathering involved.

DSCN3339.jpg

DSCN3334.jpg

DSCN3345.jpg

DSCN3338.jpg

DSCN3333.jpg

More photos can be seen here:

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/ChillyB1/library/Toyota%20Hiace%20Quick%20Delivery?sort=3&page=1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Coooooool....how did you make those graffitti? The same i planed with a trailer, but have no idear, how to paint it.

A nice detail is the scratching on the rear windows.

cool.

That on the rear windows is called scratchiti; at least that's what it was called in NYC when vandals did that on subway cars and on buses.

I created the graffiti with three or four different methods. One was simply using a superfine tipped Sharpie to write on the truck. I also made a template of the "Pam" tag out of very thin sheet styrene. For the "Chilly" on the top, I first visited a graffiti generator online and chose what typeface and size and other variable factors that I wanted, printed that out and then created masks out of two inch tape. For the big orange blob, I placed a piece of masking tape on my cutting mat and semirandomly cut it with a hobby knife in a sort of organic shape, which I then place on the truck and semirandomly filled that with orange then played around with the black paint. For the pink blobs, I created a mask that was supposed to be a sort of outerspace alien or robot, which is just circles from a template arranged in vaguely humanoid shape. I cut it in half vertically and put the two halves as can be seen. All work with the airbrush was improvised to mimic actual examples of graffiti found on the internet.

Does that help at all as an explanation of method?

It really isn't that much work. Remember, you can afford to be a little sloppy because it is graffiti! And if you mess up, you can always just paint over it and try again. I found that everything worked just as I had hoped on this project. I didn't have to redo anything.

And another maybe helpful tip: Choose your colors in advance. I wanted colors that look like those graffiti artists (or vandals) use and happened to have some on hand. Others I mixed myself.

Can't wait to see what your trailer looks like all tagged up. Good luck with it.