Model Cars Magazine Forum

Scott Shafiroff Pro Stock Mustang II

1320wayne

Here are pictures of another completed project. I just put the finishing touches on this one within the hour. It is an AMT Firefighter pro stock Mustang II kit built as the Scott Shafiroff pro stock. The decals were provided by Bad Habit Motorsports, when they were around. The body has been lengthened to meet the wheelbase of the real car. The build features basic engine detailing such as plug wires and fuel lines. The headers were scratchbuilt out of solder and aluminum tubing. The whellie bars and parachute were sourced from the parts box. The resin cast helmet is in place because unfortunately, when I was attaching the chassis for the last time, as I was stretching the body to get the chassis in, the front end cracked on the upper drivers side fender. Normally I wouldn't choose to hide something like that but since the paint, decals and clear coat were all finished I really had no choice. This was a fun one to build.

DSC03695-vi.jpg

DSC03697-vi.jpg

DSC03701-vi.jpg

DSC03699-vi.jpg

DSC03702-vi.jpg

DSC03705-vi.jpg

Wayne:

I'm curious about the lengthening. I thought that was first done on the FWD cars. Was that the case with this one or is the MPC kit too short?

Thanks,

Mike

The early versions of the Mustang II pro stock cars had an almost stock wheelbase. By the later 70's, pro stock teams that were still using this body style were lengthening the wheelbase for better weight transfer. The Dyno Don, Gapp and Roush and Bob Glidden cars were all primarily stock wheelbase cars. This car along with the likes of Herb McCandless, Eddie Shartman and the Super Fly car were done later and had longer wheelbases. Bear in mind that my data may not be 100% accurate but this is to the best of my knowledge.

Edited by 1320wayne

First of all Wayne, very nice model and great photos too! But, I have to disagree with the wheelbase discussion. If you're not sure, grab an NHRA rulebook from the era you're building from. The Herb McCandless and Glidden cars are one in the same. Bob had the car built and didn't like it, so it was purchased by Herb. Also for future reference, there was no cowl vent behind the hood. That is, the hood should extend all the way to the windshield.

Jim Kampmann

Nice save with helmet! Sometimes we need to be creative.

Mustang II's were some of my favorite pro stocks. I even built a few myself but havent tried this one. Yours looks good as always. Looks like you got the stance just right.

Raisin