Model Cars Magazine Forum

WIP: 1/16 '68 Mustang Pro Mod

ClayK

Ditto everything that was said above. I learn so much following your builds and you seem to make it look easy...I know its not.

I need to look into this Scale Motorsport 1/12 twill and find out just what it is. Where did you source it Clay?

Edited by gasser59

Clay.... awesome updates. I have admired your work for many years And it is a pleasure watching this build come together. Thank you for showing us the build process. I am always itching for updates on this.

that seat has to be one of the best looking seats i have seen. I do have to ask.... what did you use for the texture of the seat and how did you do it? The finish looks like a suede material and you hit it spot on. Beautiful work on the carbon fiber decals. Best i have seen.

Edited by Mooneyzs

Ditto everything that was said above. I learn so much following your builds and you seem to make it look easy...I know its not.

I need to look into this Scale Motorsport 1/12 twill and find out just what it is. Where did you source it Clay?

Brad I have picked up some of my scale motorsports carbon fiber decals from Hobby Depot in Tempe.

Thank you guys for the nice comments.

Chris, that texture looks better than it does in the pics. The camera couldn't really capture the real texture of it.

It was kind of a screwed up method. I first primed the parts, then shot it with Krylon "Natural Stone" which is a spray can of texture. I think Scale Motorsport has something similar. Once that dried I painted it flat black. But it didn't have enough texture. So I painted it black again, then dropped it in a baggy filled with embossing powder from Michaels then shook it up like "shake a bake". The wet paint held the powder on. Then once that was dry, I painted it flat black again to seal in the powder and make sure the color was even. It is pretty durable one that last top coat dries.

Clay

Thank you guys for the nice comments.

Chris, that texture looks better than it does in the pics. The camera couldn't really capture the real texture of it.

It was kind of a screwed up method. I first primed the parts, then shot it with Krylon "Natural Stone" which is a spray can of texture. I think Scale Motorsport has something similar. Once that dried I painted it flat black. But it didn't have enough texture. So I painted it black again, then dropped it in a baggy filled with embossing powder from Michaels then shook it up like "shake a bake". The wet paint held the powder on. Then once that was dry, I painted it flat black again to seal in the powder and make sure the color was even. It is pretty durable one that last top coat dries.

Clay

Clay... Thank you so much for taking the time to explain the process to me. I am going to have to try it on a seat i have laying around. I can only imagine what this looks like in person, the pics you posted looks like the real thing and is simply gorgeous. Since you are saying the pics couldnt capture the texture i can only imagine that is even better. Very nice work!!

• 2 weeks later...

My update isn't going to be as cool as what you other guys have been posting, but I have been getting some things accomplished.

I gathered up all my front suspension pieces and finally got it all bolted together and working. The tie rods hook to a rod that slides back and forth in the rack, not exactly working, but it does allow the tires to turn left and right. The struts are from MicroNitro of course, and I machined the steering arms and painted them clear red. Everything is bolted with either Scale Hardware bolts or 00-90 brass nuts and bolts.

I can't say enough how much I appreciate all the help I've been given on this project from Jim @ MicroNitro, Michael @ Dirtmodeler, Ted @ Ted's Modeling, and Terry @ Flashpoint, and all my other buddies that have helped along the way. I couldn't build this without them.

P3033323Z-vi.jpg

P3033324z-vi.jpg

P3033322z-vi.jpg

I've also been working in the interior. I installed my headrest and back cage shield. I've also got the pedals painted and installed.

P3033325z-vi.jpg

P3033326z-vi.jpg

P3033327z-vi.jpg

P3033328z-vi.jpg

Once those were in, I scratch built a simple master cylinder and bolted it in as well as the rod connected to the brake handle. I've also got the seat belts made. These are built up from medical tape painted black, and Futurattraction's 1/16 belt hardware. I had to bolt the lap belts in before I could install the seat. Even as big as this thing is, it is a pain to work down inside there! I need to run a few brake lines, then the seat can be installed for good.

P3033329z-vi.jpg

Speaking of the seat, it is complete and detailed as well! Now that I have the belts in, I can drop it in place.

P3033331z-vi.jpg

P3033332z-vi.jpg

I've also been working on the body a lot.

I cut off the A-Pillars and replaced them with plastic stock. I also added new window lips for the front widow from brass. As well as the lower edge. I soldered tabs to mount the hood to it as well. Gotta thank Joe for the tip on that. He had done the same thing on his '57 Chevy and it works very well.

I've also started working on the door side window frames. Trying to get all this body work done once and for all!

P3033337x-vi.jpg

P3033338z-vi.jpg

P3033341z-vi.jpg

P3033339z-vi.jpg

That's it for now. Thanks for looking!

CK

Clay... I am always in awe of your updates and can't wait for them so I can drool over the details. As Brad mentioned, I love your attention to detail and admire your work. I think this was a huge update and it is looking killer. Very nice work my friend.

Edited by Mooneyzs