Model Cars Magazine Forum

Daisy Dukes '74 Road Runner Has Been Released!

Custom Hearse

Let me know if they corrected the chassis of the older '74 gtx, which had a molded in single exhaust (and a 440 six pack engine...)

According to my sources, the chassis is corrected, the interior instrument panel is corrected, and for the first time ever the kit has correct 1974 hood and side/roof graphics, in black, white, and YES....red (my real 1/1 scale factory ordered '74 360 HiPo was black with red stripes). TIM

Edited by tim boyd

Did Daisy actually drive a '74 RR on the show? I honestly haven't watched DOH enough to know.

I do vaguely remember seeing her driving a Jeep, and I know MPC offered a kit of that.

she sure did. Daisy drove a 1974 Plymouth Roadrunner in the first few episodes and then a 1971 Plymouth Satellite Sebring for the rest of the first season and part of the second season. Originally, this car didn't belong to any specific Duke, but later on it was clear that this was Daisy's car.

All the Roadrunners were yellow, had a black accent stripe across the roof and down the sides, and had black accent stripes on the hood. In the first season, a 1974 body style Roadrunner was used. This car had a distictive bulge hood that was only used on the 1974 model. It also had a flush quad-headlight grill and chrome bumpers with black bumper stops. In the second season, a 1971 body style Sebring Satellite was used. The accents began in the front and ran toward the windshield on each side of the hood. This car also had a recessed chrome wraparound grill.

Daisy's car was destroyed while Bo and Luke were running from some of millionaire C.J. Holmes hired goons. The brakes went out and Bo and Luke jumped out before the car plummeted off a cliff.

ddsatellite2.jpg

1974 Plymouth Roadrunner, First Appearance: "One Armed Bandits"

sat2-1.jpg

1971 Plymouth Satellite Sebring, First Appearance: "Money to Burn"

sat4.jpg

cooter even had a '72 roadrunner

In "Jude Emery," Cooter loans Daisy a car that will impress Snake Harmon. It is a 1972 Plymouth Roadrunner with dual 4-barrel carbs. The side pipes are obviously just for show because when he car is jumped at the end of the episode you can see how far from the body they are mounted. The blue interior against that purple paint makes an unforgettable combination.

cooterrunner2.jpg

cooterrunner3.jpg

coy and vance had a '74 satellite sebring

When Coy and Vance first come to Hazzard in "The New Dukes" they are driving a 1974 Plymouth Satellite Sebring. It appears to be a stock car with a blue paint job and a white accent stripe across the top. This car is blown up by the Mean Green Machine.

cvcar2.jpg

bo and luke also had a satelitte sebring

This is the car Luke traded General Lee for in "Goodbye, General Lee." It was a 1974 Plymouth Satellite Sebring with a plain yellow paint job and black interior.

yellowcar2.jpg

And dave only the '71 wore Wagon Wheels

Ken, the early shows she had both a '71 and later the '74 Roadrunners. all were yellow with black stripes, but who knows how many were really Roadrunners. doesn't matter really i guess. the cars all wore chrome "wagon" wheels too which i doubt the kit is going to have.

Daisy switched to the Jeeps after Bo and Luke sent the '74 off a cliff.

if the "Dukes" issue kit does indeed have the stock stripes for both the body and hood that will be very nice.

Dave

Mine came in the mail last night (ordered directly from Round 2).

As suggested above, it has the right instrument panel and the right dual exhaust chassis (the builder must shorten the rear of the chassis - takes all of about one minute I reckon.

The decal sheet is especially nice - all three factory colors of the hood and the fender/roof stripe (yeah - now Bill and I can both build our stock 1/1 scale '74 RR's - his with the white stripe, mine with the red stripe). There are two complete sets of correct air cleaner decals, with both 340 (for '73) and 360 (for '74). There are very finely registed hood stripe displacement callouts, and roadrunner cutout lettering for the side stripes. I could not however find the "bird" decal which should be in the center of the front circle logo, the side stripe and on the trunk lid. Body looks nice, molded in white, but those who ordered the Exterior Decor Group (that includes Bill and I) will have to wing the wheel opening moldings on our own.

Nice box art and the Dukes tie-in should certainly help sell some kits.

Bottom line, nicest reissue since the original annual kit and by far the best decal sheet ever. TIM

As suggested above, it has the right instrument panel and the right dual exhaust chassis (the builder must shorten the rear of the chassis - takes all of about one minute I reckon.

The decal sheet is especially nice - all three factory colors of the hood and the fender/roof stripe (yeah - now Bill and I can both build our stock 1/1 scale '74 RR's - his with the white stripe, mine with the red stripe). There are two complete sets of correct air cleaner decals, with both 340 (for '73) and 360 (for '74), 400, and 440. There are very finely registed hood stripe displacement callouts, and roadrunner cutout lettering for the side stripes. I could not however find the "bird" decal which should be in the center of the front circle logo, the side stripe and on the trunk lid. Body looks nice, molded in white, but those who ordered the Exterior Decor Group (that includes Bill and I) will have to wing the wheel opening moldings on our own.

Nice box art and the Dukes tie-in should certainly help sell some kits.

Bottom line, nicest reissue since the original annual kit and by far the best decal sheet ever. TIM

PS - the kit still has the 400 four barrel and non-stock tri-power, but the engine displacement decals are correct for all the optional engines in '73/'74. TB

Edited by tim boyd

Hummmmmmm. I have a previously issued kit that came with out the decal sheet . Course that was Ertil's doins too, tryin to save a cent an a half . Maybe I can pawn that one off on some unsuspecting customer and do a correct one . Ed Shaver

Looks like a nice kit!

Is the dual exhaust molded in the chassis?

• 2 weeks later...

2009_0605christmas0043-vi.jpg

2009_0605christmas0037-vi.jpg

2009_0605christmas0036-vi.jpg

2009_0605christmas0042-vi.jpg

I have a couple notes on this kit too. I do not understand why the cartoon bird is not represented on the decal sheet, when Warner Brothers owns the right to Dukes AND the Road Runner cartoon. The decal sheet would be a 10 if not for that fact. On the positive side, there are plates for the Plymouth and the General Lee, some fun bumper stickers for the Boar's Nest and "My other car is the General Lee" and all the stripe colors. The tire are stamped Goodyear and all the parts are bagged seprately. Chuck, it is wonderful how nicely the '71 Charger fits under this car.

Edited by 1972 Satellite

So they are now tampo printing copyright info on the bottom side of the bodies? There is something amusing about that! Especially when you think about all the "cost cutting" claims we have heard over the years. :huh::P:D:D

Also wondering if the "cartoon bird" is NA due to separate licensing fees?

Edited by Spyder

Why not just mold it to the top of the chassis plate, where it won't be seen at all? No tampo print machines to set up. There is a cost involved to tampo print. If it was molded to the top of the chassis then it is a one time cost; with tampo print, it has to be set up every time it is run.

I think that might be closer to the truth, Ol Warner Bros. probly wanted a mint ta let ONE lil ol model company use the Road Runner! I think Chrysler was payin just pennies per car, while MPC woulda probly had to pay some flat out excorberante fee just for a lil bird that woulda been only what, an 1/8th of an inch tall? biggrin.gif

I think that might be closer to the truth, Ol Warner Bros. probly wanted a mint ta let ONE lil ol model company use the Road Runner! I think Chrysler was payin just pennies per car, while MPC woulda probly had to pay some flat out excorberante fee just for a lil bird that woulda been only what, an 1/8th of an inch tall? biggrin.gif

I think I read somewhere once that Chrysler paid WB $10,000 for the rights to the "Road Runner" name and the cartoon character image. That was a steal! I'll bet there were plenty of RR's sold back in the day just because of the cool name and logo!

Ok,first off the kit does Finally have the right dash and chassis,so why spend $18-$20 for this,and whatever price you have to pay for a 71 Charger,just to cut to peices,as far as the decals,they are much better then the last issues of the kit in the past,the air cleaner decals are worth it alone,as far as starting on a nip pick fit AGAIN about the decals,Buy the for Keith Marks like we all did with the last issue!we finally have a RIGHT 73-74 Road Runner ,yes it's a bit dated since the original mold for all the parts started out with the 71 GTX and Road Runner,just modified over the different years ,till the restyle in 75,I think it's a decent kit that we should be happy we dont have to pay alot of money for the original,the only difference, in the old one from the 70's is the birds on the trunk and in front of the hood! thats it!