Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell preview photos from Toledo NNL #31

SteveG

Last but not least are the Black Widow and the 72 Olds Cutlass Custom Box Art Model

Revell210-vi.jpg

Revell211-vi.jpg

Revell212-vi.jpg

Revell213-vi.jpg

Revell214-vi.jpg

I would like to thank Ed for taking the time out to come to the Toledo NNL and displaying some new product. More news will be coming from I-hobby Expo very soon although I can't make the trip this year. Ed hinted that the bigger news will be coming later with the Fall 2011 Release annoucements next year. I say keep them comming ....

-Steve

I can see some possibilities with the'48, but those funky "Bailon" style flowing fenders didn't do anything for me in the '60s, & they still don't cut it now.

But the Mustang, that is a must have, just wish they ( Revell) would bring back the parts packs, there are a few different engines & wheels combos I'd like to buy without forking out $20 bucks plus for a kit that will just take up space.

Edited by horsepower

I'm delighted to see Revell willing to take chances with product.

Boy, did the '49 Mercury custom kit blow us all away despite the initial concerns that it might flop because those mandatory styling cues might not sit will with all potential buyers and because '49 Mercs had been done to death.

The Merc was a surprising hit and I'll bet this one turns out the same!

Batten down the fade-away hatches, boys! This one's gonna be interesting. :lol:

I wish they had given US the option or not to have a chopped top. A M T did it back in 1962 with their 57 Chevrolet kit . They also did it with the 53 Studebaker . Now i'll be figguring our how to unchop the top........ Ed Shaver

I'm with you Ed! I've been wanting to do a stock '48 coupe forever, the old complicated IMC/Testors kit doesn't cut it for me! I hope they come out with the un-chopped version in the future!

Can't wait for this one. I was wondering, was there a rep. from Revell standing by this test piece telling people they couldn't take any pictures of the back of the model? I've seen numerous pictures of this on many different sights from different people , and no one took a picture of the back. :lol:

It's a '48 Ford. There's never been much going on back there! :lol:

Can't wait for this one. I was wondering, was there a rep. from Revell standing by this test piece telling people they couldn't take any pictures of the back of the model? I've seen numerous pictures of this on many different sights from different people , and no one took a picture of the back. B)

I can't remember which album, but someone did take a rear shot of the two models. It's out there...but I have no idea which album I saw it in. Taillights looked like separate round pieces, similar to the Lincoln Cosmopolitan taillights in the '49 Merc.

I'm one of those that prefers the chopped top on the kit.

If it had been a stock height body, I might have bought one at the most. With the chopped top & all the custom options, I see at least four in my future & likely more than that.

As an aside, I have bought exactly zero of the previous R/M 48 Ford variants simply because to build a hot rod from them wasn't accurate without modifying/kitbashing, & I had no interest in a stock version.

I am planning to buy a reissued 48 Woodie soon, to build along with the soon to be released midgets & trailers, but until they were announced I had no interest in building a stock Woodie.

A question about the upcoming custom 48, is it going to offer a lowered suspension option as well, such as what was in the ProModeler 48 convertible? This may have been addressed in a prior thread & I overlooked or forgot it.

B)

When the chopped '48 was announced, I was also thinking "why chopped?", but now seeing the test shot my creative mind went into overdrive, which is 50% of the fun!

Fun is the key word here, remember the 60s, when most annual "promo derived" car kits showed pics or illustrations of the customized version somewhere on the box?

Lots of builders back then, went crazy with the custom features found inside the kit and beyond.

Model building at it's best, is about being creative and having fun, a great escape from an overruled society if you will.

The boys and girls at Revell are doing good!

Luc

Edited by Luc Janssens

I'm one of those that prefers the chopped top on the kit.

If it had been a stock height body, I might have bought one at the most. With the chopped top & all the custom options, I see at least four in my future & likely more than that.

B)

Pretty much the same thing here.

While the replica stock purists must be seething, I just don't see how offering a stock coupe body would have made the kit sell much better, if any, than the previous stock offerings. I don't think any of them sold particularly well, and the street rod variant was a very half-hearted attempt. When Revell does a great custom/street rod, sales are usually commensurate with the effort.

This custom version looks like Revell truly "gets it", in a kit that can be built as a custom from mild to...wilder. It has the most opportunity to sell in multiples; to people who want not only the coupe, but to donate custom parts to their convertibles and woodies. I believe Revell nailed the combo that will not only make the most modelers happy, but also to sell the most models.

Custom modelers never complained about having to chop a top, or buy an already-chopped resin body, so I would think that people who want a stock body can do their own conversion, or purchase a resin stock body conversion...which I'm sure someone will offer. Sorry, but this time they just aren't going to get a stock '48 coupe for $12 at Wal Mart. I'm pretty sure if Revell hadn't gone to the custom effort they have w/this subject, it would not have set the market on fire...at all. There was a time when they couldn't give away the stock woody wagons. The model car business is full of compromises necessary to keep the companies afloat. IMHO the best compromise is the one that Revell is going to produce. You know it's going to be a popular subject at all the various shows, and that would include the stock-conversion models that people will make from it.

A quick 2-cents. Being very involved in the promotion and operation of many substantial model car shows/contests for more than a decade and a half, my observation is that builds of vintage street rods/street machines/customs have always far outnumbered the builds of vintage factory stock cars/trucks in public showings.

Granted, many builders may have factory stock builds at home, in their closets ~ if you will, but the models they bring out to shows/contests are the rods and street machines and customs with immediate "gotcha."

I'm not surprised retail sales of strictly stock kits trails far behind the kits with "gotcha" features and parts built in.

And remember, when Revell announced the '49 Merc kit, the immediate reaction was that it, too, would tank because '49 Mercs had been "done to death." Well, it rolled out with a pre-chopped top and lots of "gotcha" and lots of goodies and has been a best-seller. Stand by for more of the same! I predict we'll see a LOT more fat-fenders on the tables in the Street Rods, Street Machines, and Customs classes for the next couple of years. Hide and watch.

:)

I think Revell/Monogram is on to something here with the 48's, making the trailer for the midgets specifically set up for towing by the 48 woody and the 50 pickup, will help generate more interest in those kits, and 48 custom coupe will also create more interest in the conv. especially if a lowered suspension is offered and maybe we will see a stock roof coupe with 2n1 options like stock and some other custom wheels and a dropped suspension, maybe the chopped version help sell this possible stock/mild custom version with stock top.

I agree.

I wish Revell had shown some respect to the stock/other genre builders. Not everyone knows how to chop a top....try and learn and don't force your whims on the rest of us.

That said...the Mustang looks really nice. I'll probably be picking one of those up.

Charlie Larkin