Model Cars Magazine Forum

Re-issue of the Johan '59 Rambler wagon coming from Model King / IMC

S. Svendsen

Don't know about the Rambler but Johan's old Studebaker Lark kit scales out to about 1/22 or 1/23 so anything is possible! It was also advertised as 1/25 because that's what the cool kids buy! :D

Yeah that '59 Lark is a BIG one! I wanted a resin one to build (MCW does one) to go with the '58 Hawk I was building-------when I saw the size of it, I was immediately put off!

The Johan '59 Rambler wagon is 1/25. It's inaccurate in that it is a trimmed as a cheaper "Classic" series model on the longer "Ambassador" wheelbase. As on the 1/1s, all the added length is in front of the firewall.

Starting in '62 Johan Ramblers, including the Classic four-door sedans through '66 (and '65-'66 Marlin) and the compact American appear oversized for 1/25th and are likely closer to 1/24, but are otherwise nice models. Like many Johan kits, though, they suffer from a ridiculously narrow track width and a slightly short wheelbase (particularly apparent in their '61-'64 Oldsmobiles.)

All Johan Studebaker Larks were also on the large side and had additional proportion problems that make them perhaps the least accurate Johan models.

Additional Johan trivia... '60 and '61 Chrysler New Yorkers are inaccurate in that they are trimmed as New Yorkers but they are on the shorter Chrysler Windsor/Desoto wheelbase. To correct it one would have to add length in front of the firewall.

Johan's '59-'62 Cadillac Fleetwood sedans all appear to be 1/25 but suffer from a too-short rear deck. Unfortunately I don't own any of the Caddys anymore or I'd take the time to scale them out.

I've got one of these from the "re-birth" of Johan a few years back. Simple but a neat kit, I'll pick up at least one more, maybe two. I wish I had grabbed a couple more of the Plymouth police cars when I had the chance. Hopefully if these sell well, it will be next since the tooling was supposedly all accounted for.

Was this the Juha Airio Rambler mentioned earlier? It's a '56 sedan, but seeing how this guy operates he could have started with this kit. This guy is like the MacGyver of modeling!

That's exactly the one I was thinking of and I believe if you dig up the old SAE article on it you'll find he started with the 59 Rambler Wagon.

-Steve

I made the same mistake Roger- and I ended up paying a pretty penny for the one I got, though I didn't pay the huge amounts some guys did.

I've heard a legend about the little coupon my kit came with. Mine came with undersized Moon discs, and the kit came with a coupon for a free set of better-fitting replacements. Apparently at one time, these kits with that coupon were trading hands for about a bill and a half. :blink:

I missed out on this kit in '03 because like a fool,I thought since they were producing it again,there would be plenty of time to pick one up. I won't make that mistake again!

yes, due to much smaller production runs today, its best to pick one up now, when interested.

The funny thing is that in '03, I remember seeing the kits at a Hobby Lobby in Springfield MO.

Like you, I never picked one up....

Edited by Luc Janssens

yes, due to much smaller production runs today, its best to pick one up now, when interested.

The funny thing is that in '03, I remember seeing the kits at a Hobby Lobby in Springfield MO.

Like you, I never picked one up....

Luc is right, it's going to be a limited production run so if you missed out before this issue will be your best chance. Of course I would love to get another shot at it but there's no guaranties that will happen. I guess I'll have to wait and see how IMC's debut goes at iHobby next week ......

Steve

• 3 weeks later...

I have one of these from the last release. To my eyes it does look 1/25th scale, the only complaint I have about it is that the glass is tinted light green. Not unusable for a custom, but I wanted to make a fire chief's ride, so am planning to make my own. The thing that has stopped me, is that the roof, which I painted white, has turned to an off-white color. Not sure how to fix this, except maybe paint the roof to match the body (or maybe paint the roof black, just to be done w/it). Any opinions on this would be helpful.

• 4 months later...

Hey guys,

Does anyone have an update for this??? I have been wanting one for a long time and missed out on the last re-issue.

Will it have the surfboard and other items?? Someone said it might have some additional goodies.I would love to know what.

I will get at least 2 of them this time.

Thanks for any info,guys

• 2 weeks later...

That's a great subject. Is there a Rambler American in the planning..or actually out there?

When I was about 12 or 13 my mom traded our hemi powered '56 Plymouth for a 1960 Rambler American 2 door wagon. Yeah, mint green with the flat 6 cylinder and that famous 3-on-the-tree overdrive transmission (the one that they made the song "Little Nash Rambler" from. The only thing that saved me from total embarassment all through Jr. Hi and into high school was those reclining seats, and the fact that the little wagon was indestructible. Thank God it wasn't pink. We called it the "green pig".

I see 'em now built as strip race cars.

Edited by deja-view

On 3/27/2012 at 7:59 AM, gbdolfans said:

Hey guys,

Does anyone have an update for this??? I have been wanting one for a long time and missed out on the last re-issue.

Will it have the surfboard and other items??

It will include two suitcases (maybe one suitcase and one bowling bag?), a cooler, two surfboards, and an all new decal sheet, and image of which Sean Svendsen or Steve Goldman may be inclined to post...or just Google "Illinois Model Company".

Has anyone tried e-mailing IMC? I know either Steve or Sean posted their e-mail address in another topic here on the forum a few months ago.

Edited by Casey