Model Cars Magazine Forum

A few questions for Johan fans from IMC

SteveG

OMG!

1. '66 Marlin!!!!

2. '61 Dodge Dart Phoenix 2dht

3. '57 Olds 98 Sport Sedan (aka 4dht)

4. '59 Dodge Custom Royal Lancer 2dht (w/interior please!)

5. '59 Desoto Fireflite 4dht (w/interior please!)

6. '60 Olds 98 Scenicoupe (aka 2dht).

7. '58 Cadillac Fleetwood 4dht

8. '58 Olds 98 Sport Sedan (w/better interior please)

9. '56 Plymouth Belvedere 4dsdn(w/interior please!)

Bring 'em on ... please!

Steve,

I'm curious about some things.

1. Are you working with Okey Spaulding at all, or is this a totally separate venture? I'm thinking that where he still has the Rambler molds, it just got me to wondering how this was all working.

2. Where is the manufacturing taking place?

3. If you don't have the molds, are you re-creating them from existing products?

Charlie Larkin

Steve,

I'm curious about some things.

1. Are you working with Okey Spaulding at all, or is this a totally separate venture? I'm thinking that where he still has the Rambler molds, it just got me to wondering how this was all working.

2. Where is the manufacturing taking place?

3. If you don't have the molds, are you re-creating them from existing products?

Charlie Larkin

I guess I better clear some things up. IMC is a total separate company not affilated with Okey Spaulding. Okey is still in business, I just saw him at Toledo. Any discussion using the X-el and Johan names was meant for historical reference only. They still belong to thier respective owners. IMC will not be using the Johan or X-el names on any of their products.

IMC is based out of Rockford, lL and has a molding facility in the US and plans to use it and supporting US suppliers whenever possible. R&D is being done in Northeast Ohio. As for the tooling I really can't discuss any details regarding the possible future projects. I can say that the Rambler Wagon is being molded here in the US from mostly existing tooling but is was necessary to re-create a few inserts that were missing.

-Steve

Edited by SteveG

I missed out on the X-El reissues when they were current (hey, I was still in the upper-single, lower-double digits in age!), and I'd love to see ANY of them back, interior or not. I always understood the original JoHan Promos had no interiors to begin with and later versions reissued by Mr.Spaulding had resin interior parts. Or did they have interiors originally and the tooling was later lost?

Chuck, most had no interior buckets . I think maybe a couple did however as they were the later Friction cars . Without checking every Issue of Collectable Automobile Magazine , I have no way of telling you which had and didn't . That's a question best left to Dennis Doty as he has the entire collection or at least Dick Nesbitt in Arlington Texas would know ............ Ed Shaver

Definitely the '60 Plymouth Fury 2dr ht

Stock '70 Maverick kit with the six cylinder engine

Late '60s Rambler 2dr ht

Any '63-'70 Cadillac Deville convertible

'78 Caddy promo

'62 Plymouth Fury convert

'62 Dodge Dart convert

Any full size '60s American car promos that haven't been reissued yet, including the AMCs.

-MJS

I'm not really familiar with the X-El kits. Do you know if there is any chance of seeing the '68 Plymouth Fury police car again? Was it among the batch of X-El kits you are talking about?

As it was available at the same time as the Rambler wagon I'm hoping that the answer might be yes, but there were a lot of rumors floating around about that kit, the last time Johan kits were being re-issued.

As far as the others, I see several 4 doors being mentioned which are always welcome to join my stash, and it would be nice to see some Cadillacs other than 59's available at a decent price.

The X-el/Johan catalog includes some of my all time favorites. Put me down as very interested in any rereleases. If the '59 (or '60) Dodge makes it back into production I'm all over it! I just love a good pair of fins!

Edited by mr moto

I missed out on the X-El reissues when they were current (hey, I was still in the upper-single, lower-double digits in age!), and I'd love to see ANY of them back, interior or not. I always understood the original JoHan Promos had no interiors to begin with and later versions reissued by Mr.Spaulding had resin interior parts. Or did they have interiors originally and the tooling was later lost?

All the Johan promos, frictions, and kits from 1960 onward had interiors. The dashes and steering wheels on models from the early '60s were usually quite nicely done but the rest of the interior was usually very shallow with no separation between the side panels and the end of the seats.

I'm pretty sure the first Johan promos to have interiors were the '57 Oldsmobiles and friction '57 Oldsmobiles sold in stores did not have interiors. '58 Cadillacs and '58 Oldsmobiles were similarly available with and without interiors. The X-el re-issues of these models all had interiors, though they leave a lot to be desired compared to the bodies of these models, particularly in the case of the '58 Olds, which has a dash that looks more like a '57.

None of the friction or promo '59 Mopars from Johan had interiors. The Dodge and Plymouth were available in kit form in '59, which did have interiors, and unlike the warp prone acetate promo/friction models, were molded in styrene. When X-el reissued the '59 Mopars the Dodge and Plymouth did not have the interiors that were available in the original annual kits (which is why the original Johan kits for these cars are so sought after.)

This is a no brainer, The 70-72 Olds 442'S And the Toronados.. Those would fit perfectly in with the Revell Convertibles . For us Oldsmobile Fans. The reissued 70 They had out originally was in fact the 72 442 with the 70 hood and chrome tree. Thats why the interior patterns were wrong in those kits. I just recently found the 70 kit For $35 Sealed, And the Revell front and rear bumpers fit , The hood is alittle wide on both sides, But it's an easy fix, But the grill is wrong for the Cutlass,And Culass S version of the 72. They had a different pattern for those cars, I would Love to see all 3 years of those Kit I mentioned reissed. I would buy atleast 4 of each years.

This is a no brainer, The 70-72 Olds 442'S And the Toronados.. Those would fit perfectly in with the Revell Convertibles . For us Oldsmobile Fans. The reissued 70 They had out originally was in fact the 72 442 with the 70 hood and chrome tree. Thats why the interior patterns were wrong in those kits. I just recently found the 70 kit For $35 Sealed, And the Revell front and rear bumpers fit , The hood is alittle wide on both sides, But it's an easy fix, But the grill is wrong for the Cutlass,And Culass S version of the 72. They had a different pattern for those cars, I would Love to see all 3 years of those Kit I mentioned reissed. I would buy atleast 4 of each years.

From Deans? I got my sealed '72 Olds kit for $35 from him as well. ;)

Mine was the USA Oldies issue- on one of the side panels, the rear illustration shows what looks more like a '69 rear bumper/taillamp setup.

Any and all Jo-Han kits you can do! Especially the unusual 50's and 60's cars. Question, is this the same IMC that produced the "Little Red Wagon" Dodge Pickup and the 1948 Ford convertibles?

This is an all new IMC, see my earlier post. Lindberg has the LRW and a few others that didn't disappear in Asia or someother far off place.

As far as the 70-72 Olds Cutlass 442 that might be do-able if the tooling could be tracked down and aquired. I seem to recall Testors had it last. As far as the Toronado's go I doubt the tooling is still around. Probably scrapped in 80's or later as the original Jo-han was on their last leg. I can't recall if Seville did any Toro's or not after they got the Jo-han. Anyone know ?

If you're going to go after the original tooling, Steve, it would be nice to see the AMX and Rambler back, too.

Is the possibility of cutting new molds on the table? One thing I would like to see (I think a lot of us,) is some of the big cars that had to be scaled down, done as proper 1/25 models.

I would suggest looking into paperless prototyping and computer modeling as a way to really cut down on the costs, while maintaining quality.

These people are a great resource and can probably help you explore that possibility. http://www.paperlessparts.com/

Charlie Larkin

I believe Testors had the Maverick/Comet, and one of the AMC tools at one point, I seem to remember them being reissued as Testors kits in '05/'06. Well, they were in the Testors Catalog at that time, but I never saw them on the shelves or being built.

Testors offered the 1970 Olds 442, the 1969 Rambler & the Pro Stock version of the Comet with all the kit parts, plus a set of pewter rims & wider tires in their "HSO", (Hobby Shop Only), line about 10 years ago. They were in much heavier cardboard packaging, & were offered roughly concurrently with their HSO Jimmy Flintstone kits.

Testors offered the 1970 Olds 442, the 1969 Rambler & the Pro Stock version of the Comet with all the kit parts, plus a set of pewter rims & wider tires in their "HSO", (Hobby Shop Only), line about 10 years ago. They were in much heavier cardboard packaging, & were offered roughly concurrently with their HSO Jimmy Flintstone kits.

I remember those.. the Ramblers always seemed to have crushed roofs due to being too tightly packaged.

Now, those I DO remember, at least the Rambler version. Didn't they include a photoetch fret as well?