Model Cars Magazine Forum

'53 Corvette

Greg Pugh

Another way to go is to do lots of filing and sanding with the existing parts. This is a problem that's shared with almost every Jaguar E-Type kit, including the 1/8 version. As for the surrounds, here's how Alex Kustov dealt with them on the Ferrari 275 GTB. It starts out rough at first, then takes some finessing.

http://www.italianhorses.net/Gallery/Resin/EX275SN/275GTB2%20SN.htm

• 3 weeks later...

Nothing too spectacular. I found and ordered some aluminum velocity stacks to cut down and install on my throttle bodies. They should be here any day now. I spent last night cleaning up the bottom body plate and got it in primer. I would've posted pictures but it wasn't exactly exciting stuff. Still progress is progress. Lol

Thanks for checking in!

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Ok. Well the restaurant is opened and doing well so it looks like I might have some spare time this fall and as promised, I'm getting back on this badboy. Not a whole bunch happened yesterday as I spent the majority of my time at the bench getting reacquainted with the darn thing! :lol:

I was always unsure and hesitant on how I was gonna pull off the exhaust system I had planned. After staring at it for the afternoon, it suddenly hit me and away we went. There will be more pictures coming as I put this together but I have my exits all sorted out and I thought I'd show them off. B)

image-vi.jpg

Thank you Randy!

Nothing too exciting but I drilled out the head for the exhaust and primed the engine tonight. The exhaust conundrum was the last piece to the puzzle on my engine so now that that's ironed out, it's onto paint and assembly. I worked on a couple of other things but want to wait just a bit before sharing. B)

image-vi.jpg

Thank you so much guys! I finally made it to the LHS and picked up the paint for this bad boy. I decided against going with the stock white and instead I'm going with a gunmetal gray with red interior and black soft top. I want it to have just a little more attitude than I feel like the white could deliver.

Really like the direction that you are taking this one, not using the Wimbledon White is another good styling breakaway from the restoration crowd. This one should be a real stunner when finished!

Go with a couple metal doughnuts around the exhaust outlets, would look good with a pair of cut out plugs on the outlets then run some sort of exhaust beneath the car. Idea two - when I first saw this outlets I first thought, twin side pipes; there was a Mercedes of the era that ran a similar setup.

Throttle bodies - Like the setup you have already but, an improvement could be triple Webber 48's being used as throttle bodies, Kinsler and a few others make a conversion for them.

Other thoughts - 1. AMT's '51 Bel Aire came with a Wayne cross flow head for its six, these cross flow heads were a hot setup in their day. Visually would create balance under the hood. 2. Headlight Bucket Screens - How about a plexiglass covers ala XKE Jag? Use the stock screened buckets to make a mold of the lens area, then cast lens area in resin include the bezel, smooth out the screen by filling with Bondo, Vacuum form the covers over the resin copies using clear plastic sheet.

I've been working on many small projects on the car it seems. Not any of them are quite complete yet but I thought I'd show some of my progress.

After my color change decision, I decided the car would look better if it was smoothed out a bit. I still plan on using the stainless trim and the "Corvette" logo on the side of the car but I plan on shaving everything else, bumpers included. Here you can see where I was working on the rear exhaust outlets and the trunk lock cylinder. The four holes you see there will be filled also.

image-vi.jpg

I figured a big ol' chrome toothy grill would look kinda funny with the bumpers gone so I came up with this. I've still got some work to do to what you see behind the grill mesh. I don't really care for what is currently behind it.

image1-vi.jpg

image-vi.jpg

image1-vi.jpg