Model Cars Magazine Forum

Nostalgia Gasser Inspiration

Dr. Cranky

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I am currently building a model of my 1:1 gasser, "Stormy Monday". I was hoping to have it done by the Toledo NNL this year but I will not be able to make it there this year. So here's some foto's of Stormy, and some of my model, which has a straight axle which I hope to maybe have some day on my real 55 hehe!

Spring2010-06.jpg

Spring2010-04.jpg

Spring2010-07.jpg

crossmem.jpg

hood.jpg

chrome01.jpg

Wow! I just read through all 9 pages of this thread and I'm physically exhausted! :lol:

I wish individual posts had a "like" button as Facebook does because there are a few on here that I, well, like because the poster gets it. I hope you all know who you are.

I agree with several on here and feel that "modern nostalgia cars" (Now there's an oxymoron for you!) whether they be "gassers" or "top fuel" cars, bear little to no resemblance to what they are called. I'd rather see the real thing in a museum or on the show field that one of these modern fakes going down the race track. But that's just me.

One other thing that has only been touched upon slightly is that Corvettes and Austin Healys, etc. are not gassers. The full name of the class back then was "Gas Coupes and Sedans". Corvettes were considered "sports cars" and were not eligible for the gas classes. If you look closely at some of the photos posted here you can see the class designation /MSP which stood for "Modified Sports". I know, I know, they have that "gasser vibe" and that's fine, but for those of you who like to build for accuracy, for the gas classes, Corvettes are out!

Wow! I just read through all 9 pages of this thread and I'm physically exhausted! :lol:

I wish individual posts had a "like" button as Facebook does because there are a few on here that I, well, like because the poster gets it. I hope you all know who you are.

I agree with several on here and feel that "modern nostalgia cars" (Now there's an oxymoron for you!) whether they be "gassers" or "top fuel" cars, bear little to no resemblance to what they are called. I'd rather see the real thing in a museum or on the show field that one of these modern fakes going down the race track. But that's just me.

One other thing that has only been touched upon slightly is that Corvettes and Austin Healys, etc. are not gassers. The full name of the class back then was "Gas Coupes and Sedans". Corvettes were considered "sports cars" and were not eligible for the gas classes. If you look closely at some of the photos posted here you can see the class designation /MSP which stood for "Modified Sports". I know, I know, they have that "gasser vibe" and that's fine, but for those of you who like to build for accuracy, for the gas classes, Corvettes are out!

Drew my friend...while I have great respect for you and your knowledge, I must disagree with your assertion that Corvettes were not eligible for the gas classes....at least if you meant they were never in gas classes. It depends on what years you are talking about. Up until 1967 Corvettes did indeed run in the M/SP classes. Until 1968, that is when the MSP class was removed from the NHRA rulebook. In 1968 all Corvettes that were running in MSP were switched to their appropriate gas class for their weight break. So it all depends on what year the Corvette model is supposed to represent. In 1969, the Modified Production classes were getting very popular and a lot of Corvettes simply bolted on a tunnel ram and a few other mods and ran in MP.

And another part of the reason Corvettes were in that older MSP class was because they were made of fiberglass. Quote from the 1968 rulebook.....

"These classes will include fiberglass-bodied cars that are classified as sports cars."

Up until 1967 Corvettes did indeed run in the M/SP classes.

Then I maintain what I said.

It was after '67 that the gas classes started their downfall when NHRA began to allow full tube frame cars with late model bodies.

For somebody like me, (and many others) the true gas classes did not include Corvettes.

Then I maintain what I said.

It was after '67 that the gas classes started their downfall when NHRA began to allow full tube frame cars with late model bodies.

For somebody like me, (and many others) the true gas classes did not include Corvettes.

Yup, I agree with Drew.

Yeah maybe so Drew. But remember, those full tube frame cars were not allowed to run legally in the gas classes. The key word here being "legally." Those tube frame cars with the flip top bodies etc were never run in a regular competition gas class...they were only run in all those "Match Races" that were part of the drag racing "shows" at various tracks around the country.

I have a 1979 rulebook which still does not allow tube frame chassis in the gas classes... they still were required to be "stock automotive type." (quoted from the 79 rule book)

So while I agree with you that the tube frame cars like you speak of were indeed the beginning of the end of the "true" gas classes, those cars with the flip top bodies and tube frames weren't competing against the cars in the regular gas classes. They were an entity unto their own...like when the A/FX cars first started....

I was one of the announcers at Connecticut Dragway in the years 1971 thru 1973, and we still had some true gassers running then. However...a helluva lot of Gassers, MP, Altereds, Stockers and what have you began to run in those doggone Bracket classes. Man I hated those brackets. All that sandbagging stuff.... Anything went in the brackets...didn't have any specific rules to go by...just your own stated index...