Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell '62 Corvette Roadster 2'n1

Dr. Cranky

Revell has included uptops with some of their kits ('48 Ford, '72 Olds), so it only applies to a few of their convertible kits. But, if an uptop is a make or break deal, pass on this kit.

In a manner of speaking, you got an uptop for the Olds eventually, that didn't make it in the first issue of that kit either. I'm surprised we didn't see the '58 and/or '59 get reissued in '13. Try to find one of those '59's...if I recall neither of those kits come with any roof options either.

I have both the 58 and 59 kits. They both have uptops one issue is a soft top and the other is a hard top I just don't remember which has what. Also most of the Revell convertables I have have uptops or hardtops.

The 64 Mustange Pace Car, 55 Chevy Pace Car, 53/54 Corvette, 57,58,59 Corvettes, 68,69 Corvettes, 427 Street Cobra, Baldwin Motion Drag Cobra all these have tops.

In a manner of speaking, you got an uptop for the Olds eventually, that didn't make it in the first issue of that kit either.

I wasn't going to chum the waters with talk of a future modified reissue (with at least one option being a race car with a hardtop) since this kit did just hit store shelves this week, but that's never stopped us before. :D

I think I'll wait for the second version that may come with an up top. You would have thought that Revell had learned their lesson with the '72 Olds,but apparently NOT. :rolleyes:I just hope they don't make us wait as long as we had to on the Olds. By the time they did come out with the up top, I had already lost interest in it and still haven't bought that kit. In this day and age,there's absolutely no excuse for producing a kit of a convertible without an up top. It's just plain stupid.

I totally agree. Leaving out a top on any convertible is flat-out wrong.

Why do some of us bash a kit because of what it does not have? Of all the complaints I see about not having an uptop on a convertible then why do I not see more uptops on builds? Just about all convertible models I have seen are displayed without the uptop. Also if everyone feels this way and this kit does not sell then why would Revell spend more money on a kit that did not sell?

Plus a little side note. Revell has yet to reissue both the 58 Pro Modeler Corvette or the 59 Corvette.

Why do some of us bash a kit because of what it does not have? Of all the complaints I see about not having an uptop on a convertible then why do I not see more uptops on builds? Just about all convertible models I have seen are displayed without the uptop. Also if everyone feels this way and this kit does not sell then why would Revell spend more money on a kit that did not sell?

Plus a little side note. Revell has yet to reissue both the 58 Pro Modeler Corvette or the 59 Corvette.

For me, personally, it usually isn't an issue. But in this case the lack of an up top might be a deal breaker for me, since both of the versions I want to build of this will require the lift-off hardtop. I'm sure it's possible to find a workable top for one, and/or wait for a resin caster to fill in the blank, and if that happens I might still get a couple. But until then, I don't have much use for a kit that's not 100% complete from the box for how I need to build it.

No biggie for me w/ the hardtop, I have a few parts AMT '62s I can source one from. And I figure the 2nd issue will have them. Alas, I went to my LHS and they had only 2 left, both of which had been reserved. I should have preordered one...oh well, wait until next month when the OLDs get them...

Guys - and I'm talking generally, not jabbing specifically at Craig who seems quite affable and well-reasoned for the most part - ya might wanna watch that whole modeler/assembler false dichotomy, and its consequent implication that people who rightly point out things that shouldn't be missing only do so because their building skills are limited.

First, there's a healthy number of us who criticize and then fix the problems, who've demonstrated the outright falsity of that premise time and time besides time over time again.

But second, and of perhaps more interest to those using this argument, the whole modeler/assembler canard has an inevitable smugness about it, which might appear to result from a life so bereft of meaningful accomplishment that the user is desperate to be smug about something.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure NOTHING COULD BE FURTHER FROM THE TRUTH in most cases, and I honestly don't believe it applies to Mr. Irwin at all. But the fact remains that even the most vaunted modelers ain't exactly curing cancer, so it's kind of a silly thing to express smugness about - intentional or not.

I'm sorry if I offended anyone, I've seen great looking models built from only the parts in the kit. What I'm trying to say is that over the years I've built 4 doors from 2 doors, sedans from hardtops, convertables from coupes, 65's from 64's, and so on. There is no perfect kit, so I build what I want from I is kitted. Sometimes if you want something bad enough you just got to do it yourself.

They already make it. MCG 2109 for the 1961-62 Corvette kit. It will work for the Revell Kit.

mcg2109.gif

Thanks and i really hope it fits. i just ordered it from MCG along with the set for the '68 - '72 Corvette and some seat belt material.

joe.

I purchased this kit today. Overall it is nice. It seems to be not as crisp as other new releases - could just be my attitude right now too. Anyhow:

Mild line dissecting fuel door - a little askew

44AB4EE4-1E49-47B0-9863-7AA94E6F8B29-33625-0000096BF4C1ED9C.jpg

The mold line up front - good luck

7CE03E51-A2AB-4F4E-93A5-A6311F044BB4-33625-0000096BFD45745F.jpg

Bits of flash and a couple not-so-well planned small parts - side mirror and door handle (sprue attaches on door handle button)

01E4FBAD-281C-4F40-88A1-192360636DC8-33625-0000096C038B54EE.jpg

Actually looks a little worse in person

F7F2F900-2B38-48E6-9704-93E1102E49FB-33625-0000096C0AD3A57C.jpg

I am not sure I like this wheel mounting method

81F2EF5E-4985-4A80-9FB7-3397E62D62B6-33625-0000096C1105B697.jpg

The "brakes"

8F92D86B-A1A1-40F9-8525-1F6E6D821EE9-33625-0000096C1DA30B1E.jpg

Lots of ejector pin marks on interior - may be a no factor depending on seats, etc

B616C9C3-FD04-4216-A57D-5BAB41F0A424-33625-0000096C17325CA2.jpg

The decal sheet is nice - lots of small details AND a replacement for the script you will sand off the front

6A2A74C7-7BE2-46C5-ABBA-FE9F07250C15-33625-0000096C2B276986.jpg

It's a nice kit. I am just being Debbie Downer and pointing out some things that are not like 90 percent of the rest of the kit. I will more than likely get another and wait patiently for that resin hardtop....

I think the sprue attachment points for the door handles is the best possible location-- at the lowest visible point when mounted on the car.

I am not a fan of the "flanged" wheels in recent Revell kits, either, but it does make the sprue attachment points a non-issue. Heck, you can even twist them free and nobody will ever be able to tell.

One out of nine well placed ejector pin marks in the interior floor is not a good ratio. Using flocking/embossing powder gonna is pretty much be mandatory when building this one. And why the laser date on the floor, too? That seems very odd, even though it will get painted over.

Those brakes are extremely basic, but I assume they are only to be used with the custom wheels? Speaking of which, could we get a pic of those, pretty please?

Is this kit really a new tooling or a die cast repop? I've been looking forward to it coming out, but now I'm having second thoughts about buying one. I'm a collector of Corvette kits, but for $26 I don't know. Maybe I'll wait for Hobby Lobby to carry them then I can use a 40% off coupon, that way I won't feel bad if the model isn't up to past Revell kits.