Model Cars Magazine Forum

Unleash... The Muscle Truck!

So as if I dont have enough going in my small build space I just couldnt keep my hands off this truck. It's the '74 Chevy C10 as seen on the YouTube hit series "Roadkill" from Hot Rod Magazine!

I was just randomly browsing Ebay when I came across this truck and instantly knew it had to be the Muscle Truck!

20140809_203046_zpsyppeqley.jpg

20140906_212739_zpsrttrb29j.jpg

20140906_212705_zps3bcexwv2.jpg

So I let it sit on the shelf for a little while before it finally ate at me enough to tear it apart

I already have a '55 Chevy truck I started working on... but I couldnt help myself!

20140911_203938_RichtoneHDR_zpsfzcfrdgk.

I also filled in the roof to get rid of the sunroof that this kit came with.

20140911_203642_RichtoneHDR_zpsjkd7ue3n.

I won a lot of bumpers on Ebay because it had C10 bumpers. They're the larger 1:24th scale bumpers but with a little bending and convincing, the front looks great, and I sectioned the rear bumper to get the right width. Sorry for the dark pictures. I couldnt get my phone to take great pics.

20140911_204319_zpswmo4jfss.jpg

20140911_204310_zpslth5uajv.jpg

I was sent some taillights for it by a generous member here, which is much appreciated!

I'm on the hunt for an LSx engine, and I'll have to be ordering the correct resin automatic trans, and a Ford 9" axle probably from B-N-L resins.

I will have to scratch build the frame because its not correct for what the Muscle Truck has under it, and also do some other small scratch and modified things to get it just right.

So thats it for now!

Edited by JTalmage

Yes, they are! But the real truck isnt full of bells and whistles either. Only really going to add the ratchet shifter, and the famous cup holder/ratchet shifter mount. May try to find a custom steering wheel thats a little closer to what the real truck has but the one in it will work as well.

Thanks everyone, didnt have time to touch it all weekend. Was very busy with birthday parties for friends and family. Literally the whole weekend.

Mint! I've been following your roadkill replica builds, you do top notch work Jesse. A replica of the muscle truck and the general mayhem will look awesome on a shelf together!

Thanks! I have a few more up my sleeve when the time comes. Including the Crusher Camaro, The El Camino, Super Bee, and MAYBE the Cheap Truck Challenge Bronco from like the first episode.. maybe more... dunno yet.

i agree, that thing just looked plain nasty with the boggers

there's a look JT!

Nooooooo lol! I hated when they cut it up. It'll stay in street trim :)

Edited by JTalmage

This will be interesting! I like watching those Roadkills as well and this was one of my favorites. I'm sure you will do great work with this one, so I can't wait to see more. I'm interested in the grille, though. What are you going to do to replicate the one in the real car better than what the kit offers?

I have some leftover photo etched grille from the General Mayhem project thats on hold waiting on parts still and I think I'll use it. It wont quite have the depth the original grill has, but it will at least look the part.

I would make a grille from styrene sheet, but I dont have that kind of patience.

• 2 weeks later...

I should be able to sent out your long awaited hot rod parts in the next few days, and if you want I have a couple of Datsuns I could toss in there as a patience award!

One is built, the other has no nose.

No suspensions for either.

Thats up to you. I would be very grateful! (In case I screw up the one that my friend is giving me) Oh, and the "Im waiting on parts" wasn't a poke at you. :)

Ruben found a chassis for me that might have a usable front suspension, but I think he may be busy/out of town as I havent heard from him... no biggie because I wasnt in a hurry on this project anyway. Got too many others on the stack to got thru first.

I got an LS engine for this build from Manny @ VCG Resins. So I started to build my LsX intake for it so I can build the Muscle Truck in it's carb'd format.

20140924_185311_zpsav5hifce.jpg

20140924_194733_zpsddviunuk.jpg

Pretty sweet engine. Looks like it has a 6 speed on the back of it. I'll be sawing that off for an automatic to go on the back though.

So I started building an intake out of some styrene strips. I bought some Evergreen 157 a while back to make hot rod frames, and it looked like I could cut some lengths of it and bend it for intake runners. Well that idea didnt pan out so well. So I cut more strips of it and stacked them on themselves and glued them together with some zap. Sat them into the intake valley and glued them together at an angle. I had cut and temporarily glued some strips to the insides of the heads since the actual kit intake is a supercharger. This will simulate the intake side of the head and the beginning of the runners. I am not very good at doing detailed scratch building so I did the best I could.

Since my first attempt failed at shaping it I decided to carve it. And that worked out pretty well. I did lots of sanding and carving. This was the first stop I took to take a picture.

20140924_220441_zpsidyp2ayt.jpg

Lots more sanding and carving later...

20140925_200734_zps9sl64yrp.jpg

20140925_200808_zpssrerlgxc.jpg

20140925_201651_zpsu4whbyua.jpg

20140925_201727_zps2tzynlsv.jpg

20140925_201739_zpssnhstkvk.jpg

As you can see I added a carb riser and a carb plate to it. I'll sand the top down just a little so its not as intrusive. Still have to do some more sanding and filling/filing.

I also put some injector bosses on the intake as the real lsX intake does.

20140925_215140_zpskhjsyzrt.jpg

20140925_215217_zpsnkudjkyu.jpg

Edited by JTalmage

Thanks! I need better tools to do it though. I'm using basic xacto knives, some sanding sticks, zap-a-gap, and sandpaper. no microscope or magnifying glass lol

I'm having a hard time progressing on this truck because I keep forgetting I have to send the intake away to the resin caster first instead of painting it and gluing it on my engine. lol

Edited by JTalmage