Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/8 Scale Pro Street Chassis

arick

This thread will introduce you to the new TDR 1/8th scale Pro Street chassis modeled in CAD and how it came to be by producing it useing the Rapid Prototyping method. The first test chassis, shown here, will be my personal project. Once I'm satisfied that everything works, the chassis will be added to the TDR product line. The first few photos show examples of the CAD model from various angles.

[ichassis-1_8-426-Cuda-5.jpg

Mchassis-1_8-426-Cuda-1.jpg

G]chassis-1_8-426-Cuda-6.jpg

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii183/k...-426-Cuda-2.jpg

The next photo shows the test chassis as produced useing the RP method. The chassis was produced in four sections. Each section is pinned and joined useing styrene tube connectors.

001.jpg

The test chassis is designed to accept an IFS and a 9" style rearend suspended by a coilover/fourbar rear suspension.

034.jpg

MG]http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii183/kitmandeuce/028.jpg

I've posted these photos in this thread because this chassis is going to be built here as my personal project. The chassis will go under a 1/8th scale fibreglass MF Willys coupe body and it will be fitted with an injected TDR426 engine. So, from here on, this will be my personal build. Its going to take some time, but I'll post as I go along and answer any questions here.

TDR products can be viewed at "www.tdrcatalog.com" and they can be contacted at "tdr.innovations@gmail.com".

Edited by arick

028.jpg

Here's a photo of the rear end showing the coilovers and fourbar suspension installed in the chassis. When produced, all the attachment points and suspension pieces and brackets are drilled to accept attachment hardware. In this mock up, I used styrene rod to temporarily attach the IFS, rear end and rear suspension to the chassis.

Edited by arick

The Willys body is from the Madd Fabricator. Its done in fibreglass and is very strong, dimensionally accurate and even thickness throughout. I'll be posting photos as this build progresses.

MF also produces a fibreglass Bonneville Belly Tank, a Turtle Deck T, some really cool Sprint Car stuff and a soon to be released Anglia. Scalemotorcars is very close to introducing an 8th scale Baracuda body to the market. The chassis shown above should work under some of these new bodies.

Hopefully, all this new 8th scale stuff will create some fresh excitement in large scale modelling.

Edited by arick

One thing I forgot to mention about the TDR chassis is that its wheelbase is adjustable. The chassis is produced in four pieces that are pinned together with styrene tube. The wheelbase can be adjusted depending on the length of the styrene tube. Adding a roll cage and more X members will provide extra strength.

Don, I'll be putting a Lenco behind the engine.

PStreet asked about the Willys body. Here's a few photos.

[009.jpg

IMG]http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii183/kitmandeuce/008.jpg[

010.jpga>

This is test body that was molded in one piece with a seperate hood. In addition, considerable time has gone into smoothing the underside. Production bodies can be ordered in various configurations.

Edited by arick

012.jpg

Just for fun, I'll show you a spy shot of my Willys Roadster. I cut the roof off of a coupe body, chopped and laid back the windshield, dropped and laid forward the cowl, sectioned, pancaked and molded in the hood, molded and laid back headlight buckets and filled in the cockpit. There's still a long ways to go.

Wait until you see my Willys woody........

One thing to remember about the RP process is that the finish texture is not smooth and that depending on your preference for detail, some surface smoothing may be required. And, the smaller the part, the more difficult the smoothing process gets.

The answer to your question is yes, we are looking at producing bodies, parts and accessories in smaller scales.

Edited by arick

One thing to remember about the RP process is that the finish texture is not smooth and that depending on your preference for detail, some surface smoothing may be required. And, the smaller the part, the more difficult the smoothing process gets.

The answer to your question is yes, we are looking at producing bodies, parts and accessories in smaller scales.

SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

EEEEEEEEETTTTTTTT!!!!! :huh:

That Willys body looks fantastic. I remember hearing about it on the SMC website, i think, but hadn't seen the final product. The roadster looks great as well, how labor intensive does working the body turn out to be? Ive done 1:1 glass work and i hate it, but i've got to admit that i would love to get my hands on one of these bodies one day.

I have four MF bodies, three Willys and a Turtle Deck T with a track nose (watch for this one, its going to be powered by a TDR Offenhauser). I am very happy with all my MF bodies and other than haveing to cut out windows and wheel openings, the MF body needs very little finishing. They are strong, dimensionally accurate and even thickness throughout. The Willys coupe can be ordered in various configurations, depending on your build preference. MF will be announcing an 8th scale Anglia, hopefully before the end of the year.

More information about the MF line of bodies can be obtained from "tdr.innovations@gmail.com".

Edited by arick

020.jpg

I'm starting to detail the TDR IFS. The A arms and rotors are fairly smooth out of the box so all I did was give them a light sand and a couple of coats of high build primer before shooting them with chrome. The coils are too fragile to sand so I just shot them with high build and then chrome. If you look closely you'll se the pads in the calipers.

Edited by arick

• 2 weeks later...

TDR is makeing some adjustments to the IFS in order to make it a better fit under the MF Willys body so I decided to start at the other end. I used some 600 grit and after a couple of passes along with a bit of work with a small file, I had the rear clip smoothed. I finished it off with some high build primer. The surface finish out of the RP printer is pretty good so it only took me about an hour to smooth it and prep it for paint.

0152.jpg

I also smoothed the rear end housing and shot it with high build. I've left the calipers as is but painted them Guards Red. The four bars have been smoothed and chromed.

016.jpg

While going through the parts box I found a rack and pinion that I think is from a Vette kit. I think I can make it work with the TDR IFS.

017.jpg