Model Cars Magazine Forum

Anyone Make Resin 16" Duals for a '72 Chevy/GMC?

I don't know if these would work or not, but I found these from Alan at Ma's Resin.

http://public.fotki.com/cnaind/truck-tires--wheels/heavy-commercial/truckwheels.html

He doesn't have a size listed, but with an eight lug pattern, I'd guess they might be for a one ton.

Thanks for responding. I'd have to guess thatthose are for a bigger truck and older too. I know that some big trucks back in the '40's and early '50's used 8 lug wheels. Someone could probably sell a whack of the proper wheels like I am looking for if they could be bothered to cast them as a lot of guys are building or would like to build one tons but the proper looking, stock wheels are an issue all the time. I may have to use the Ford one ton wheels that are available I guess. ;):huh::(:P

Edited by impcon

In the old MTFA catalog is listed one ton wheels they are five whole buds. catalog numbers are WT-26 , WT-27 . I would e-mail Dave at AITM he still stocks some stuff from the old catalog.

the e-mail address is www.aitruckmodels.com

Those wheels from Alan are 18" for the '47-'59 Chevy 1 tons, but I have seen the same wheel used up to at least '72 on dual wheel trucks. I've cast up a set of similar wheels (my castings are nowhere near as nice, though) for doing the same conversion on the AMT '72, they look "correct" to me, as the Monogram Ford duallie wheels are way too small, almost like a 15 instead of the 16.5 that would be correct.

Here's a shot of a mockup of mine with the wheels I cast.

truck2064.jpg

BTW, if you use the AMT/MPC '67-'72 Chevy, the wheelbase is short for a 1 ton. The 1 tons used a 133" wheelbase for the standard truck, 157" was optional. The kits are the 127" wheelbase, which is correct for the long 1/2 ton and the 3/4 ton trucks. Also, there was a dual wheel option for 3/4 ton, so that might be a route to go if you don't want to lengthen the wheelbase.