Model Cars Magazine Forum

VW Split window

empinut

Sorry about the thread jack on the IMC VW - yes, I have one I was thinking about backdating (to an oval rather than a split) and I like the way you did this one; just figured if it were an early enough body it might work. I should have specified that. (I know I could get a new kit, but a bird in the hand...)

the ugly stuff update...

Cleaned up the quarter windows and added semaphore openings. Think I am ok with the outside body, but will revisit after working on the chassis.

Thought my original attempt at the rear lights were out of scale, this is v2.

Spent a bunch of time on the rear inner panels taking into consideration the hinges I used for the rear lid and other parts I want to use:

1942(?) Kubelwagen center tunnel, long block, front beam (narrowed).

Hasegawa pan is great to work with as the rear compartment tin is separate.

Tamiya engine compartment inner panels are a good start for all scale VW engine compartment detailing.

Fujimi 356 trannny with front and rear mount grafted on.

Trying to keep it all old school.

Awesome king/link pin detail on the front beam from Hasegawa. You can see my method for narrowing a scale front beam.

Next...convert an extra Hasegawa T1 window insert into the inner bracing that is present on a beetle's body, cutting out the door and window areas.

thanks

Hi. very nice work so far. There is a friend of mine (here in Brazil) that is also doing the same work...

May I ask you something?

I'm really interested in the Hebmuller body. Could you please send me the email of your "VW nut" friend???

Of course, still a lot of work to do

IMG_0474.jpg

WIP here:

http://www.small-dreams.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=70&t=14519

Edited by Drago

• 1 month later...

Working on the inner panels and headliner. I have a plan to make working semaphore turn signals...crossing my fingers it works.

I thinned out and drilled/filed openings in a spare Hasegawa window insert to make the headliner. Had to cut it into 6 pieces to make it work best once I thinned it out. More work to make the B pillar and door panels plus smoothing out the headliner pieces together. The instrument pod insert is from a Hasegawa 1/24 scale Kubelwagen. close enough.

IMG_20131115_133812-vi.jpg

IMG_20131115_133834-vi.jpg

IMG_20131115_133902-vi.jpg

IMG_20131115_133919-vi.jpg

IMG_20131115_134209-vi.jpg

IMG_20131115_134617-vi.jpg

IMG_20131115_134959-vi.jpg

IMG_20131115_135035-vi.jpg

IMG_20131115_135352-vi.jpg

IMG_20131115_135412-vi.jpg

Tom, maybe with the new ROG vw's we may see some new variants?

Bill, I saw the ROG VW test shot recently at the Liars Model Car Challenge. To my untrained eye, it looked like the best detailed kit of a VW to date! The engine alone looks like it's worth the price of the kit. Every little detail and rib on the transaxle! Can't wait to get my hands on one!

Thanks Tony, Ron and Tom.

Ron, I like your convert deck lid. Is that a 69 or 70? My first bug was a 1969 with dual kadrons back in 1980 when living in SoCal.

Tom, maybe with the new ROG vw's we may see some new variants?

Thanks

Bill, Mine is a '70. This one is going the Volksrod route, I think. As I said, I probably should have done it first in 1/24 or 1/25 scale. Too late, I already started cutting. The sawzall is my best friend and a cars worst nightmare. lol I think this one is #13 for me. I like the EMPI nut name you picked, I missed that the first time I looked.

Edited by rmvw guy

Thanks Clay (Der Bugmeister!) and Kevin (fishnets,tats and volks rods, yes please!)

You liked my pic I take it? :) That was from a shoot my muse and I did in W. Virginia at the Trans Allegheny Lunatic Asylum. It is a V-8 powered Rat Bug. We shot her in a sort of gothabilly bride of Frankenstein styling. She is actually a redhead...my favorite! :)

Kevin

Edited by ningoth4

• 3 weeks later...