Model Cars Magazine Forum

Spread Axle question.

I bought this trailer back in 1993 at a swap meet already built. I only added the air barke lines. I have some repairs to do, but I was thinking about one thing. This measures out to be almost a 10'2" spread. It's 8 scale inches too short, but convincing enough. My question is, since this is a 40 ft trailer, and represents a late '60s thru early '80s trailer, is this too long of a spread for these axles to be legal? I know spread axles were around at the time, but were the axles this far apart? Or was the 8'6" spread more appropriate for this time period? I can tell that the kit's sliding suspension was cut in 1/2, and the long center spring added. The suspension isn't totally accurate, but I think the builder did a good job. I have some definate ideas for this one. Also, what were the other stock colors for Fruehauf flats at that time? Anyone know? Or were they all red except for customer spec?

recentstuff003.jpg

recentstuff002.jpg

recentstuff001.jpg

Thanks for looking

The purpose of a spread axle was to add more weight!

In Oregon a set of two axles is good for 34,000 lbs with a spread of less than 8 ft., legal axle weights or multiple item load.

With a spread of 9' you can carry 39,000 lbs.

With a spread of 10' you get a max of 40,000 lbs. on that set of axles.

There is no benefit to a longer spread than 10' because no single axle is good for greater than 20,000 lbs. unless it is with a Heavy Haul permit. And THAT is for a single item load!

These rules are pretty much universial country wide.

When you guys build your trucks... a good idea would be to check your local Department of Transportation web site and make sure your build is legal. This is especially true when building a heavy haul vehicle.

8)

Feel free to ask me any questions about trucking as I worked for ODOT for 13 years selling truck permits.... :wink:

So you're the guy I call once a year for my weight reciept, huh, Jarius? :D

Thanks for all the input from everyone. Jim, the nice thing about spread axles is that you can load them to 40,000#, instead of 34,000# like a standard tandem. One thing to mention, though, is that you still have to stay under 80,000# to run the interstate. However, some of your western states, like Colorado, allow 85,000 on secondary/US Highways, just not the interstate. New Mexico allows 86,000# gross if you stay off the interstate and run US highways. This is if you have a 5 axle truck with the spread axles.

I probably will shrink this down to an 8ft spread, as it seems to fit with pix I've seen of older spread axle trailers.