Model Cars Magazine Forum

Nightmare Kits CBP - aka Masochistic Modelers Anonymous

Jantrix

I'm trying to finish up my '57 Ford Custom on another thread, then I will get back on this. Also would like to start the Stacy David Rat Roaster as well as finish my other dozen builds I started last year. Good thing about this one, you gave us a whole year. I appreciate the way you are hanging in there with us.

Good thing about this one, you gave us a whole year. I appreciate the way you are hanging in there with us.

I have run a few CBP's and I have found the most successful ones are when the thread originator takes the role of cheerleader. :D It keeps people engaged and keeps the thread from dying out. It also helps keep me focused and motivated. I will finish this GTO before the fall contests.

I have been working on the chassis of my El Camino. I hope I can get fast Mock Up done today and see if it has the correct stance. If not, then I need to do some adjustments, but I should have an update soon. Also I need to figure out those Headers for the engine. It shouldn't take too long before it's done.

I have run a few CBP's and I have found the most successful ones are when the thread originator takes the role of cheerleader. :D It keeps people engaged and keeps the thread from dying out. It also helps keep me focused and motivated. I will finish this GTO before the fall contests.

Thanks again Rob, I really do appreciate what you are doing as "Cheerleader". This is only my second CBP and I think I know what you are talking about already. I noticed your name on the other one too as a participant, the AMT '32 Fords. I feel like I almost took that thread over but, didn't mean to, wondering what happened to the guy that started it. Really hated to see that one die and still hoping for a new life on it. Hang in there, we are having some fun here! :)

I managed to get my El Camino on Four wheels, I had to raise the front end a little, rear end was just correct from the kit. I painted the letters to rear tires, too. Of course this car needed Cowl Induction scoop, too. I didn't have one, so I had to scratchbuild one from styrene. Here are few Mock Up pics.

DSCN0678.jpg

DSCN0679.jpg

DSCN0680.jpg

DSCN0681.jpg

Cool thank you.. I still have more work to do on the hood.. then I will probably turn my attention back on the bed.

Had to laugh, I noticed your post was marked 1:44 am. and I thought you meant turn your attention toward going to bed at first. :lol: Been there, done that. I'm sure the bed will turn out great too Derick.

Edited by rmvw guy

I love how that sits, but if I can offer some constructive criticism, that engine needs to be set back so it's not in front of/over the axle, even if it means notching the windshield.

Noted - however, this is becoming more o a whimsical/not practical build - and I am spending too much time on a crappy old model! I am to the point of "just getting it done", so...

Paint and decals

28FC3622-5F91-47FF-BFF5-A32BC824E7C1-141

I think this one looks great but, I think I understand how you feel. I know mine is a piece of you know what, if that can be of any encouragement, what I do is put it aside for a while and it always draw me back when I look at what everyone else is doing. I don't let it stop me from working on as many other projects as I feel I need. Nice work on yours, keep it going! And I still love this thread. :wub:

Noted - however, this is becoming more o a whimsical/not practical build - and I am spending too much time on a crappy old model! I am to the point of "just getting it done", so...

Paint and decals

28FC3622-5F91-47FF-BFF5-A32BC824E7C1-141

Seems I can never wait for the paint to dry, maybe I am a MADMAN!!!! Now to go clean my airbrush. It's Testors yellow with just a splash of orange mixed 2 parts paint one part cheap lacquer thinner. Thanks for looking, please leave comments.DSC04474_zps114014c8.jpgDSC04486_zps610b8e9a.jpg

Edited by rmvw guy

Maybe I'm going a little MAD with these photos but, bare with me just two more. I just love using this lacquer thinner with Testors enamels, it drys like lacquer and glosses like enamel. And I was able to touch it within an hour and match the body to the frame without harming the finish. The paint seems to be glossing over even more as time goes by. Sounds like I'm trying to sell the stuff. :lol: DSC04487_zpsd0c81846.jpgDSC04488_zpsd9285494.jpg

Edited by rmvw guy

Chevy looks good Ron! I like the color and the contrast with the red chassis. I have that same can of thinner on my bench too!

Thanks Tom, I think I was still a little high on the fumes when I posted all those pictures. :lol: Seriously though, I have been loving the little bottles of Testors ever since I discovered ( from here), they work with lacquer thinner, good luck with it so far anyway.