Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16 Scale Army Vega Funny Car - Finished 10/14/2018

Mooneyzs

Seth.. thak you very much.

Well Fellas... I got some work done on this over the weekend. I pulled the engine oit of the chassis, all of the body supports out of the body, prepped them for primer and got the first coat of primer on the body supports. The primer revealed that I need to do a lite bit of body work on them before I can put some color to them.

I then decided to work on the blower by drilling out the holes for the bolts since the paint had built up in them. Got them drilled and installed the socket head cap screws. Now I just need to tack them in with a little glue.

Then I started to go back to work on the body tin work. I have really beem dreading this but I know the work will be worth it when done. I first need to drill out all of the holes for the rivets again on the tins to open the holes up from the build up of paint. Then I need to cut and trim close to 200 rivets. That is the part that is going to be the pain in the butt. Once all the rivets are trimmed I can shoot the semi gloss clear over the tins and then glue in all of the rivets. I think the rivets may test my patience just a little...lol

I will have to post a few pics of the body support structures in primer and the bolts on the blower when I get home from work today.

Paul... thanks for the reminder on the blower studs... I have a nit n stud simulated bolt from scale hardware I was thinking of using for it. I do have a individual threaded rod and flange nut from tuner model factory that I may see if it will work but I may not have room for the flange nut on the blower. Thats great news to hear you got the usb.

Ok Fellas as I mentioned I was going to get a couple of pics up to show some progress so here goes....

Well this one is actually a rework picture...lol.... SO originally the cross bar on this front body support structure was glued with super glue and while I was sanding it for primer.... well I broke it. So I thought let me solder it back together and try to use some alligator clips as heat sinks so I wouldn't undo all of the other joints that were soldered. IT worked like a charm. I forgot to take pics of it when it was done before I sprayed primer on it:

DP-Army-Vega%207328-1_zpso7fvt1eo.jpg

Here are all of the body support structures in primer. I need to do some minor body work on them to fill some pin holes and stuff like that. so I will get them fixed and some more primer on them so I can get them in paint:

DP-Army-Vega%207333-1_zpsfsywbdd0.jpg

I have to apologize for the next two pictures because they didn't turn out worth a darn. I couldn't get the camera to focus on what I wanted. But here is the blower with the bolts on the front and rear plates:

DP-Army-Vega%207347-1_zpsasxdtkdr.jpg

DP-Army-Vega%207343-1_zpslpes2zni.jpg

over the last 3 days ive flicked thru this thread from page 1 till now,

all i can say is wow.

truly inspiring mate, congratulations on getting it to the point in which it is, cant wait to see it finished.

ive got the 1/16 Hawaiian Charger on the way, cant see it turning out like this however lol.

Brent... Welcome.. and thank you for taking the time to go thru all of the pages on this build. I know there is alot to go thru...lol. I can't tell you how much I want to see this finished as well. It's getting closer but I am still a ways away.

I'm dying here!!! Oxygen, I need oxygen. Tooooo Freaking Phunny. Normally I would ask why I didn't get included as like a mascot or sumthin'. However, I'm gonna' let it slide this time.

Oh, right. The model. I should prolly say something nice about the model. HEY CHRIS!!! NICE MODEL!!!!!!!!

Are we good now? (Breathe Zilla, breathe.)

Tom... the Blower is painted with alclads polished aluminum and then I cleared it their Aqua Gloss which looks like a milky clear. I also used House of Kolor black base and cleared it with urethane clear for the base. I found that using the HOK black base and urethane clears I get a better finish than using alclads black base. But that is just my experience

Joe... thank you. Hey any news on the house front for you??

Dave... thank you. I am still cracking up at that pic.

Tim... thank you very much. I can't tell you how important the prep work is. The better its prepped the better the results. You are best off to primer and block it out with 1000 grit or finer paper. The smoother the base the better the finish.

Ray... thank you very much

Edited by Mooneyzs

Thanks for thinking about me Chris. So far, so bueno on the house. I have a home in escrow after missing "The Perfect Home", due to a cash deal vs. my VA loan. The inspector and the bug guy came yesterday to do their thing. Should be another week or so before I close. If I have to give the finance people one more piece of ancient paperwork from the 80's I'll scream. It sure is slowing down production on the Super Bee body, but I should have an update today on it.

Tom... the Blower is painted with alclads polished aluminum and then I cleared it their Aqua Gloss which looks like a milky clear. I also used House of Kolor black base and cleared it with urethane clear for the base. I found that using the HOK black base and urethane clears I get a better finish than using alclads black base. But that is just my experience

THANKS CHRIS,

I WENT BACK TO PAGE 200-201 & CHECKED IT OUT. DO YOU SAND OR RUB OUT THE CLEAR BEFORE THE ALCLAD?