Model Cars Magazine Forum

what off road vehicles would you like to build?

off road vehicles  

136 members have voted

1. 1. do you have an off road vehicle you would like to build

For offroad machines:

Jeep XJ Cherokee - I cannot believe no one has ever done this in kit form. A full detail with the 4.0L inline 6 would be awesome.

Lamborghini LM002 - again, how have Tamiya or Fujimi never done this as a kit.

Ford F150 Raptor - A full detail version please. Not the simple curbside pseudo-toy kit. 

Jeep Grand Wagoneer - I would love this.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, iamsuperdan said:

Jeep XJ Cherokee - I cannot believe no one has ever done this in kit form. A full detail with the 4.0L inline 6 would be awesome.

Jeep Grand Wagoneer - I would love this.

Yeah! That and the newer JK and JKU also.😕 Is there some licensing issue with Chrysler that is preventing kits from being produced? With the popularity of the vehicles, you would think they would sell well. I have seen them in diecast.🤨

Edited by NOBLNG

1 hour ago, NOBLNG said:

Yeah! That and the newer JK and JKU also.😕 Is there some licensing issue with Chrysler that is preventing kits from being produced? With the popularity of the vehicles, you would think they would sell well. I have seen them in diecast.🤨

That would have been my first thought too. 

But Round2 have just released the new Charger kit, and like you said, there is a lot of diecast out there for Dodge/Ram/Jeep product.

So Stellantis is licensing their stuff.

Maybe their licenses are prohibitively expensive though?

7 minutes ago, iamsuperdan said:

That would have been my first thought too. 

But Round2 have just released the new Charger kit, and like you said, there is a lot of diecast out there for Dodge/Ram/Jeep product.

So Stellantis is licensing their stuff.

Maybe their licenses are prohibitively expensive though?

the cars sell better than truck/suv international. it makes more sense to cater for the bigger target market.

I can dream, can't I. Actual bike I had back in the early 80s. Shame I never took any pics of it. 1983 Yamaha IT 175. It was the first "big ticket item" I ever bought that required a payment book. Bought it as a leftover from the previous year. Never should have sold it. These are becoming popular again today. I would have gone with the bigger bore bike, but it was out of my price range.

R (5).jpg

Edited by Mike C.
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Jordan White said:

Seems like the Ram TRX would be a good kit then, since they do seem to be popular in some places in Europe.

it may appear that way but there are a lot of american military bases in europe and you guys like your own cars and the rest are owned by drug dealers and gangsters. we tend not to buy them as they just dont fit in many of our towns and we dont need anything that size

What a difference a decade makes . 

I'll have to review my list and photo what I actually have now vs then .  Affordable 3d printers and several releases from the model companies most of my list is doable . 

#1 Baja Bug. Had this when living near the Pismo Beach area. Working on a conversion from the Revell '68 Type 1 now.  #2 This was our '10 Jeep that we modified thru the years. Several trips to Colorado and a num,ber of Jeep Jamborees. 

IMG_1751 (2).jpg

IMG_1753 (2).jpg

IMG_1754 (2).jpg

IMG_0084 (2).JPG

IMG_0085.JPG

DSCN0115.JPG

• Like 1

On 7/30/2023 at 6:38 PM, TonyK said:

A truck from the Dakar racing series.

revell have done 2. the unimog is the easier one to find but there was another based on a road truck (possibly MAN) and airfix had one in their bobcat range also based on a road truck.

As for a real driver, I'd love to have a first generation International Scout that wasn't rusted out. For a kit, there are a lot I'd like to build, but I do wish AMT would redo their International Scout with a corrected hood and grille and then maybe tool up a nice first gen kit as a companion.

I'd also like someone to tool up a Ford Transit, both the smaller Connect and the full-size van, and also the Mercedes van as either a plastic or diecast kit. They could be produced as basic empty vans for delivery vans and also as a camper version. They could also be licensed to companies as marked delivery vans for collectors.

aacamperFOrd.jpg

aaCAMPERmERC.jpg

aacamperconnect.jpg

• Like 1

Been kicking around ideas to build something like this using the AMT Coke pickup and the MPC GMC Deserter pickup kits. some fireball tires and lots of off-road parts from the MPC kit, as well as some Texas 3D customs winch bumpers.Might even sand off the stainless trim to give it that more "down market" work truck look.

R (62).jpg

R (63).jpg

Edited by Mike C.