Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/32 Garage Diorama

wkennerley

Not trying to steal your thread but........ re Charlie's post......

Here's the Airfix 1/32 scale 1905 Rolls Royce that I built and photographed in 2010. Not one of Airfix's best...... but better than most.

1905+RR+left.jpg

1905+RR+right.jpg

All my reference pictures show 1905 Rolls Royces with a more bulbous body and other different details, but as each body was handbuilt on a Rolls Royce chassis, anything is possible.

Tony

Edited by GTMust

Hi Tony, If I recall correctly the Airfix 1905 R-R is of the 20hp chassis #26350, see second car on this page - http://www.rrab.com/rpsg.htm

- It doesn't look too bad to me but maybe once seen in the flesh one can see more issues - I know the line of the seats is wrong, not sure how easily that can be fixed

Wayne

The first pic is a completely different car its a 10hp so ignore it as a reference (the top body is a Roi des Belges body whilst the lower one is a T.T. Body) - Bear in mind as well that the body on #26350 was built in 1953 and is a replica body so may not match original bodies.

Roof trusses temporarily in place, they now need to be cut back to the brass support running diagonally across the diorama

Wayne

IMG_3487.jpg

Edited by wkennerley

The Airfix Darracq is actually closer to 1/25 scale... not 1/32 as stated on the packaging. And it's a pretty basic kit with almost no accurate detail. It will need a lot of scratchbuilding to get it to look like the real car. Check out the movie "Genevieve" to see what it should really look like.

Tony

Good tip on the 1/25 scale. Thanks, Tony. I did think it was a tad big.

As to the accuracy...I can see the issues, but honestly, I'm not going to worry about it too much, as the scracthbuilding required is way beyond my pay-grade to do, so I'll build and enjoy as it is. After some rather complex projects lately, I'm enjoying something fun and simple for a change.

Charlie Larkin

Thanks Tony, Was playing around with bits I had from old christmas decorations, the first is a set of four flat top LEDs set out an inch apart, very good for workshop lighting i think, the other is larger domed LEDs with very centralized light which I think would look good as outdoor security lighting.

Corrugated sheeting has arrived so I hope to get onto making the roof tomorrow - Depends on what the wife expects me to do around the house!!

Thanks for your comment on the 250LM, it is definitely a better build than one I did around 1990

Wayne

I never gave the 1/32 scale much thought. But thanks to your great project, I googled to see what type of model cars are out there in that size. I was surprised. I like the size in particular, because it keeps the dioramas relativley small, but not too small. Thanks for sharing you project with us!