Model Cars Magazine Forum

59 Original AMT El Camino Gluebomb restoration

I bought this one off ebay for $16.00. It was brush painted testors met. red enamel. I keep forgetting to take pictures of these gluebombs before I strip them. :( It soaked in Purple Power for 2 days when I found out it was the original release, molded in the light blue plastic. So it was a good buy. Next I painted it Tamiya pearl light blue and bright white roof and top of rear fenders, followed by 4 coats of Testors wet look clear. I lightly tinted the windows with Tamiya clear blue. All paints were applied out of rattle cans. BMF and The Detailer black wash where needed. Added a set of AMT's Firestone Deluxe Champion late 50's wide whites. I wanted to open the tailgate, but the previous owner epoxied it shut and it's not going anywhere.

All in all it came out pretty good.

Let me know what you think.

Al

Edited by Porscheman

Sure looks good to me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Your choice of colours is my favorite for the '59 Chevrolet and your colours look fairly close to Crown Sapphire and Snowcrest White. It's nice to see one of the built stock but being a "rescue kit" only serves to make it better!! I'd like to build one of these as a base line six cylinder car complete with the small hub caps in your colours. There were no other trim options aside from the front fender "airplanes", rocker panel mouldings and accessory hand rails just like the ones in the model kit. COntrary to rumours, there was never an Impala version of this truck marketed. I have owned a few of the real 1:1 in my day and still have several here. They are IMHO without a doubt, by far and away, the prettiest pick up ever produced by any manufacturer. If you want to see something really unuausal and attention grabbing, do a Google Images search for 1959 Pontiac El Catalina. It is almost as pretty as an El Camino - but my tatstes lean more towards the fins and cat eye taillights on the Chev.

Nice restoration work .

As others have noted...great color combo.

Wished you had some before pixs...maybe next time.

I picked up the gold build up in a trade..soaking it

revealed gold , green and some white paint.

The best part was the baby blue styrene under all that.

This is the "as is" pix next to my burnt orange '59 .

DSCN3027-vi.jpg