Model Cars Magazine Forum

Family interest in models?

Cool beetle in the background Ron :) ...and your helping Hand in front? I think, she is PROUD - take a look in her eyes!

My father was building loooong time ago after teh WW 2 planes of papersheet. As we (my brother and me are twins) were born, he stopped building.

My own family? i will comment this...

My wife shows no interest in the hobby herself, although she is my BEST critic. She completely appreciates the time, effort and skills that go into what I build and gets upset with me if I am NOT building. She looks over my finished builds and can and does point out the little flaw that I may have missed or just didn't or couldn't fix.

...sounds like my girlfriend. And he is my biggest fan :)

She is the one, who brought me back to the hobby as i was sick. Also she give me her ideas, if i show her (always she want!) updates, what i am building. Often, when i start a new kit, i ask her, in wich direction i will build and what she is thinking about. Colorchoice, interieur etc. Take a look at my last built, the 57 Chrysler - i was "only the builder" of it. Could say, her hands to make her idea truth ;)

I often tried, that she grap a kit to build it herself...

My daughter? NO interest.

My brother is also in the same hobby. Over 300 miles difference of our homes, we meet and great via mobile or german forum.

Edited by Dominik

My wife and daughter have an interest in my modeling. Just when I get to a hard to do phase they will come in the room and start talking to me, moving things around and the worse case thing my wife did, bumped the table I was trimming BMF on causing the blade to slip across the model toward my hand. When I yelled she got mad at me. I think if I were to go to another country to build my models, they would follow me to share in the building experience.

Edited by Johnt671

My wife and daughter have an interest in my modeling. Just when I get to a hard to do phase they will come in the room and start talking to me, moving things around and the worse case thing my wife did, bumped the table I was trimming BMF on causing the blade to slip across the model toward my hand. When I yelled she got mad at me. I think if I were to go to another country to build my models, they would follow me to share in the building experience.

That unfortunately, has been the experience with me and a lot of my friends. They'll come over, or if I want to make progress on something, I'll bring it with me, and it becomes "oooh, look at that!" very similar to Dee Dee in the carton Dexter's Laboratory, in which Dee Dee innocently destroys everything in sight.

Yep, I feel your pain.

Charlie Larkin

No one in my family is building models or is interested in it. But ever when I finish a car they say "wow, this looks nice" and like my models. They find them cool but aren't interested in building self.

I built as a kid. I introduced models to both my boys. They both built some but when the girls showed up ....they gone! Funny thing was, it reminded me of how much fun I had...so it kept me in the hobby to this day. Now, when I do grandpa daycare, I usually take a kit I'm working on with me and go after it when my grand daughter takes her nap. When she awakes she always wants to help build and plays with the wheels. She's almost 3 and we recently built the Scooby Doo Mystery Machine together, which she always plays with!

My wife is supportive always suggesting we buy new display cases for the models and will make nice comments like... that's cool...nice paint...that's clever...wow that's really good! I think I'll keep her!! lol