Model Cars Magazine Forum

Peterbilt hood conversions

Guys keep in mind that Tim's convertion is about the short hood 379, doing it out of the 378 kit hood.

Very easy to do it and have an acurate 379 instead the 378.

I can't say if you can build the long 379 hood out of the 378 kit hood.

Contact Eric at P&P resin works he may can help you abou the 379 long hood.

http://www.ppvintagekits.com/index.html

Kostas.

How hard is it to convert the 378 to a 379 extended hood?

Just moving cab mounts, tanks, batt boxes, and cab back a little. Youll have to lengthen steering arm, exhaust, and air intake. Its not super hard with some planing, test fitting, and a lil evergreen strips and tubing. Its worth the work.

Oh! and the most important part is dropping in a V12!

to keep from moving every thing.I cut the frame just in front of the cab mounts rite behind the springs ADD about 3MM and lower the cab. Cut the cab mounts down too 2MM(I think) cut and fit cut and fit. the rear mount need too be reshaped. it is molded like a V reshape so it is more like a U. Cut a tad shorter. The hood hinges are not rite for a 379,but maybe they will work. too see the out come look for Dads 379( I think) it is.

GTG for now.

IMG_1400_zpsce1a4f2c.jpg

I have to agree with Clayton, he's way seems to be more easy.

But IMO this is all about the frame equipment and not the hood. Please correct me, but I think that there is no way to convert the 378 kit hood to 379 long hood. Its not only the hood lenght but also the front gril screen is wider.

Again such info can be found easyly at Tim's site www.timstrucks.com.

Kostas.

By lowering the cab, you section the back part of the hood to bring it down. It may not be to scale or at close look correct to 1:1, itll be close and look alright. At least thats how im thinkin

True. Tim's simple conversion technique, using only the 378 kit will give you a 379-119. However, the 378 grill is not quite tall enough for a true scale 379-119" or 379-127".

It may not be very noticable, but you will have a slightly squashed 379.

I ordered a Bill Drennen resin long hood conversion kit from P&P last fall. It took several months to arrive and afterwards the 379 wasn't on the P&P website anymore. So, not sure about it's current availablity.

It is a very nice kit and yes, the resin grill surround is taller than the stock 378 Italeri grill. The conversion instructions ask to lenghthen the frame rails by 1/4". Also, the driveshaft, and lower horizontal exhaust tubing needs another 1/4". Lastly, the hood hinges need to be modified to accept the resin hood and grill. Otherwise, the stock 378 components are used, unchanged.

I haven't started the build yet, but I'm planning it for late summer.

If anyone on here is looking for Bill Drennen's products Bill has a limited supply and you order from him direct by email.

drennen.bill@yahoo.com

Gary Wallace GW trucks also sells a 379 conversion kit you can contact Gary at gwtrucks@yahoo.com

I have purchased from both and have no troubles.

B)

Ive been emailing gary the last few days, im excited, he has the 379 conversion and just came up with a new 379 with custom fenders, those both come with the new cab mounts to lower the cab. He has day cab panels, he emailed a list of parts he does. I just emailed bill, see how it goes with him. Its my understanding that p&p no longer has the rights to sell bills products anymore, thats why the 379 isnt on the site anymore

Edited by Petetrucker07

sounds good,May get one this Fall. build the frame and mark off the cut with pen or so,flip over the frame and and glue on a brace(this half will be floppy). glue the insert too the rear half and let set over night. Build hood or mockup (I used revell 359 hinges). Set hood cab in place.tape cab too the frame. put dabs of glue on the end of inserts,before glue drys make the adjustments so hood and cab line up and keep checking by placing a ruler at the end of the steer axle and one of the drivers.

I be-leave the steering box will have too be moved as well.

to lower the cab(IF it need too be). look on the firewall cut the tabs down. keep them even I layered strips of plastic 1MM thick next too the cab mounts. As in 5 layers then 4 and so on too 2.with each cut test fit.

The intake made from ink pen and flat strips for detail.

handmadeintaketub_zps23dbb204.jpg

If anyone on here is looking for Bill Drennen's products Bill has a limited supply and you order from him direct by email.

drennen.bill@yahoo.com

Gary Wallace GW trucks also sells a 379 conversion kit you can contact Gary at gwtrucks@yahoo.com

I have purchased from both and have no troubles.

B)

Go with Justin's advice......Gary Wallace on the 379 hood conversion.....Eric at P&P I believe does not carry the 379 hood conversion any more due to the Bill Drennen (lisc) agreement..so the choices are slim.