Model Cars Magazine Forum

A Couple Of My Drawings...

W-409

I've seen great drawings here, and I think, I post something, I've been trying to draw... I'm not good at this, but I'm getting better slowly. I usually draw cars from the side, but this '59 Cadillac was something different...

IMG_0674.jpg

And now I'm trying to draw Futurliner Bus, let's see how it turns out...

IMG_0672.jpg

As I said, I'm not good at this, just wanted to share these. :rolleyes:

Edited by W-409

That Caddy looks GREAT, Niko!

You ARE good at it. Just gotta keep on drawing man!

Before I was a teenage boy, Everyone in my class said I was awesome at drawing...and it was true (for my age). I gave up on it around 8th grade though, and wish I didn't.

Keep on drawing stuff and you WILL keep getting better and better. One of my friends, who I met in middle school, was way behind me as far as art skills at the time, but he kept on drawing and is now one of the best tattoo artists around my area (He is very well known in my town).

Like anything else, the more you practice, the better you will get. Also, consider getting yourself into art classes in high school (IMHO, it will help you tremendously). Just, make sure it's something that you REALLY want to do and keep trying your best and taking your instructor's advice.

If you keep going with it, you will be AWESOME at it one day. I promise! I'll even give you my address so you can come over and punch me in the nose if I'm wrong. The only conditions to this "deal" LOL.. is you have to give it your ALL for 10 years first. :)

These are good drawings and demonstrate some great potential.

My advise for anyone wanting to learn to draw or to improve their drawing skills is to pick up Betty Edwards book entitled "Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain." It will greatly improve your ability to understand what it is you're looking at. After all, its the brain that draws, not the hand or the eyes so getting your brain to understand what its looking at will make all of the difference in the world.

My copy of this book was so ratty that I picked up another one at a used bookstore and only spent around $4. Well worth the investment. Let me know if you pick one up.

Thanks, everyone! Sometimes I draw very much and sometimes I'm not doing this for an week maybe. But I'm trying to get better... I'll keep an eye of those books, if I find them, needs to buy if I have money. And now I could continue that Futurliner bus. Thanks all! :)

Futurliner is finished, not too great but with my skills it turned out OK. It was too hard to draw those Parade Of Progress textes to the side of it, so I left them off. Maybe I try to draw somekind of Front Engine Dragster or HotRod.

IMG_0959.jpg

• 1 month later...

It has been a while now. But today I had to draw '70 Audi 60. This is just like my grandfather's car, he owned on the 70's. Once rear spring got broken and other little problems, but anyways it was pretty good car... :lol:

This isn't perfect, far away from it. But I didn't have enough time to draw it. I'm pretty happy about it anyway.

PB130295.jpg

Ok, here we go again... Just finished drawing '64 Dodge Dart, it's built like 80's style... High rear end and some important equipment, like that L88 Scoop. I'm pretty happy about the end result, but it's not perfect. I tried to make this just like "period correct". :lol:

PB130297.jpg

Edited by W-409

I finished '67 Mustang Super Stocker. I must say that I'm not happy about this one. Body shapes aren't perfect and those tires and wheels don't look good. I must try again, but this time Mustang will be year model 2011... Let's see how that one turns out.

PB180319.jpg

If I wasn't happy about that '67 Mustang, I'm pretty happy about this 2011 Mustang Super Stock. It's not perfect, but Ok. I hope it turns better after some colors, and finishing. But body shapes are pretty good, I think. With my skills, this is quite good

PB180322.jpg

Hey the concept is there. Keep it up. I got a thread here somewhere but I have been drawing cars for about 23 years now since I was somewhere between 10 and 12. Been drawing since i was 6 or 7. I always learn new stuff. Until last year I always did a good job on them but they were never in perspective. I sent a sample to Thom Taylor (Yes the Thom Taylor of "How to Draw Cars Like a Pro") and he told me to trace cars from magazines to train my eyes to start putting everything in perspective and it was some of the best advice I have had. It worked. Now I am forced to draw them in perspective by my eyes or they don't look right. My first good drawing that I can still draw from the back of my mind is a 77 Chevy 4x4 Long Box with a lift. The reason is during one Christmas a family friend sketched out his 77 and gave it to me. I traced it over and over until the drawing was pretty much shot until one day I could draw it free hand. Stock up on rulers, french curves and templates. I freehand my drawings but refine them with these utensils to get that sharp edge automobile look. I am self taught and taught myself about 2 years ago to use art markers and oil paint. Any questions PM me and I will do my best to answer them. I am also using Google Sketchup to design my shop and various vehicles which can be found under dios since I plan to use the plans for a scale diorama.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, Billy! I'm pretty happy about the Mustang too, but I can't be happy about the coloring. Marker pens didn't work as I wanted. Now I might draw something again. This week we had exam every day of the week, so I had no time for drawing.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, it has been a while since the last drawing... :rolleyes: I had to try, if I still can do them... It didn't turn as good as I wanted, but hopefully next one turns out better. I've been thinking about making next one as good, as I can. I can see few problems on this Chevelle, but maybe next one will be better.

PC260445.jpg

• 5 months later...

Then I had to draw few concepts how my 1:1 car would look in the future, when I can get one... These are the possibilities and how they would look.

Iroc-Z Camaro

P6250046.jpg

Fox Mustang

P6250047.jpg

Chevy Corvette

P6250048.jpg

Firebird GTA

P6250049.jpg

And Chevy Fleetside

P6250050.jpg