Model Cars Magazine Forum

Florida car/truck builders

Brian, dude if you haven't already, you gotta get involved in this 40 Ford pickup "build off thing"....great fun.

Making the meetings is one thing.......heck, I showed up 15 minutes before it was over last go around.

If you can't make it to the meetings...no worries....build a truck and I'm sure between now and the finish date we can figure out some way to include your model if you can't be there.

After-all, that's what F.A.S.T. is all about........good folks having a good time.

Anyway.......here's the kit everyone is building their own version of.

No rules other than the Nov. deadline.......build it any way you want, (probably) should use something from the kit, LOL.

We're supposed to keep what we are doing as individuals to ourselves until the unveiling.......Arrrrggggggg!

A40002.jpg

A40004.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The Mongram 1/24 '40 Pick-up is a venerable old kit, There are fit issues with the hood and the firewall. The engine is a disappointment. The holes the hinges poke through are over-large. I wouldn't recomment the kit, especially due to the fact that it's 1/24 and hard to do parts swaps with the AMT '40's. My $.02

It's pretty much like the box art Jim...what you see is what you get.

It does however have some rather cool decals for the wood bed planks and metal strips. There are also decals for the side boards.

I like the rolled and pleated molded in headliner......not sure about the button tufted bench seat and door panels though.

• 2 weeks later...

It's been a while since we (F.A.S.T.) members picked up our 40's.

After doing the touchy feel thing with this kit and formulating a cocktail napkin sketch of what I plan to do with mine.....I have a bunch of parts left over.

About all I'm using from the kit is the cab, hood and front fenders.

I really have no use for the rest of it and no desire to save any of it....that includes the flathead & pick-up box.

Soooooo, to get to the point, if any of you F.A.S.T. members (building a '40) needs any of those parts for your build.....let me know and I'll bring them to the next meeting........no cost or anything owed.

I'll also be bringing a tool with me that I wouldn't be without....it's called a nibbler. It's cheap to buy (mine was under 10 bucks) and durable as all get out. I'll bring some scraps of sheet plastic so that anyone interested can give it a try........use it once and you'll come up with all sorts of uses for it.

I opened the box last week and took a quick look at it. I won't be using the flathead either. If you want to get rid of parts, I'd be more than happy to take them off your hands, Don.

That nibbler sounds interesting. Don't forget we have the BMF workshop.

For anyone in the South Florida area

this Sunday Model Car Creations will be at the Festival Flea Market car show April 1 doing a club display. Last year there where over 600 real cars, and they say this year will be larger. So if your in the area come on out and stop by our tent and say hi. The Event is Completely free and there will be alot to see. For more information on the event click the link below

http://www.festival.com/DiscoverTheFestival/FestivalCarShow.aspx

• 3 weeks later...

I know we have plenty of time.....but how many of you guys have started your F.A.S.T. club '40 build?

Just curious.

It would be kinda cool (if we manage to get our horsepower show together) to display them at the Castro Farm.

I've started mine.....but man, I just have to say I've worked with better kits.......it's going to take some serious head scratchin' to turn this one around.

Edited by GrandpaMcGurk

Neal and I are going to meet with the Castro Farm people on Wednesday morning and we'll what happens. Bear in mind that the Castro Farm show is the end of October and our '40 Ford build is due at out November meeting.

I've started it and am not impressed with the kit. Goodbye hood louvers.

• 4 weeks later...

Table Top Nationals 2012 Announcement...

Today we can officially announce the 11th annual Table Top Nationals will be held at the

First Church Of The Nazarene

916 NE 4th Street

Pompano Beach, FL 33060-6416

Saturday October 27th

We have already announced our 3 themes

Build a Moebius Hudson Hornet (Must be based on the Moebius hudson)

Drive or Pilot (Open to all models cars, planes, boats, etc.) Model must have driver or pilot behind the controls.

Humor in modeling (Make us laugh)

This will be our first ever all Viewers choice show.

Later this month we will have the full listings of all of the classes including, the non automotive classes. Sponsor and vendor table costs. so look for that announcement.

I hope to see all you guys from Fast and the other clubs make the trip south

Now spread the word..

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Here is a link to pictures from Saturdays June club meeting for FAST, in Ocala at the regular meeting place, Hobby Lobby. Another great meeting with excellent turnout. Not so many projects and completed builds on the table but everything there was superb and interesting.

Took a little side trip after the meeting to check out the personal collection of one of the fellow members and was blown away by the sheer number of models (built and unbuilt) Nascar and other car memorabilia and his 1:1 mint condition Trans Am Pace Cars stored in the garage. I should have brought the camera in to document but was so overwhelmed by everything to see that I totally spaced that.

http://public.fotki.com/1320wayne/fast-club-meetings/june-2012-fast-meeting/