Model Cars Magazine Forum

Question about where to post.

Tom, a lot of the things you mentioned are a function of the software we use, which is a commonly used forum software. We didn't create the software or have any control over its features or functionality. It's true that there are a lot of features and functions that are available to forum members that are not immediately obvious, but expecting the moderators to hold some sort of "forum software 101" class to explain every single feature or function is a stretch. It's not our job to teach people how forum software works.

However...if anyone has a question about anything forum related, we are just a PM away. I always answer every PM I get.

Harry are you that out of touch with your users? I'm pretty computer literate. I write fortran and hmtl faster than most folks can type. I have managed computer issues for Fortune 100 companies. And here's what I see as a few very simple issues...

Jacen, this is downright funny....

First, I have a major problem that the first topic under General is "Read The Rules First". Isn't that a bit heavy handed and intimidating? Maybe "How To Navigate The Board" would be more appropriate. Oh, yes! There is no instruction under the topic now! Only rules and threats! So....

I have to interject here. Tom, I was willing to go along with you a few posts back but no more. NOONE should even be allowed to post anything until after the rules, that govern fair use of the board have been read, and as far as i'm concerned agreed to as in a user agreement for a downloaded program. There are far too many folks, newbies and old timers alike that flaunt the rules here!

I never said that there shouldn't be rules, only that the headline was a bit heavy handed and the topic only stated rules, but nothing to help the users! Read the rest. I haven't criticized, only have given constructive input as to things that could be added (by the moderators who have said they understand it all, or anyone else who would volunteer)

What is missing is the navigation primer. Yes, a lot of it is IP Board's software, but you moderators can add posts that would explain stuff here! For instance, very basic. Every user is given a rank. Where is this explained? I haven't found it. I took a quick look through a few posts. For example I have found people called "member" with 10 posts. I see "regular" with 40 posts. "Friend" with 150 posts, I saw someone with 311 posts called an "Avid Poster" and I guess the top rating is "MCW Ohana" which I only know it means family because Greg said that in his editorial in a recent magazine issue. Why isn't there an explanation of the ranks and the plateaus anywhere on the site?

The mods DO try to add directive and helpfull posts here, just look at the pinned topics in nearly all sections. RANK's mean nothing, ab so lute ly nothing. They are just for fun and a general idea of how much a person has contributed to the forum.

I guess it's a secret then! A post that explains the plateaus is seriously missing. What's wrong with people knowing that when they hit, say 100 posts, their rank will change? It has to be written into the site for the terms to be posted so why not share it with the users?

Next... simple navigation. I posted previously that even as someone fairly well versed in the web, it took me a while to figure out that if I clicked on the topic, it took me to post 1, but if I clicked on the little dot or star, it would take me to the first unread post. I still haven't figure out the difference between the dot and the star. Why isn't there an explanation on the site?

Why no explanation? It doesn't really need one. You were smart enough to figure out how it works...weren't you?

For every one of us who has half figured it out, several have given up and left the board. Why not just create a post that explains it and give everyone the knowledge? Heck, if you know it all, why not write the post yourself?

Next... I saw someone post today that they wanted to modify the title of a thread they had started. A moderator responded and explained how it was done which is fine, but why isn't that in a tutorial? I know I stumbled on to it myself. But how many people on this board haven't been savvy enough to figure it out on their own?

That was me and it was NOT a mod who responded because the non computer programmer who helped...guess what...figured it out for himself.

Again, a simple few lines in a posted topic will cover it for all!

Simply put, there's a lot of positive things that the moderation team, that has the knowledge, could help the members with that would help their user experience!

Here I agree, but you are picking at personal points that not everyone here has the same issue with. You seem ro expect the mods to spend the bulk of thier time schooling everyone when it's just not feasable. They are members here too and as such have every right to enjoy the site as well, time permitting. What you are asking would require them to focus ONLY on running the board when they've already volunteered thier time to help police it. They just cannot be expected to do all of it. Police, school and change the format. It's been said many times. The board is set up so that it functions as best it can for the majority.

No problem at all! If a few simple tutorials were written and put into the top topic, it would help the board immensely! A bit of information would help them 'police' the board, making that job easier. I'm not saying to change the format, I'm merely asking that it be explained so all can understand it!

Edited by Tom Geiger

Well i think i have the problem solved....with this Board...Comments...where to post...This and All that and what have ya...

My Idea is to have a Dear Abby (may she rest in peace)....Really let's have a Dear abby...I know who would be just perfect for the postion....wont say who just yet....But we work on that later.....Perhaps a Vote...

Ok...let's get to the Point....Example:.....

Dear Abby.....I have just built my prized Model...a real beauty...i am so proud of it....Yet i don't know what to do with it....OMG Abby do i just go General....or should i go in the Big Boyz Club with it....Oh Abby Please Help....

Dear Abby....I have a Problem with a Moderator....What should i do....Please Abby Help......I have heard so much that i can no longer take it...Please Help.

Dear Abby...There is a Guy above me who is yelling...and just crying out loud....What should i do......

Dear Abby......A few weeks ago i lost touch with a Fellow Modeler.......I have Posted in the Where's Waldo section.....But i have heard nothing....i am so Hurt.....

Guess the point is......if you can't take it like a Man....Then write Miss Landers.....Cause Abby is Dead

Cheers...Don aka XJ6

Edited by XJ6

Well i think i have the problem solved....with this Board...Comments...where to post...This and All that and what have ya...

My Idea is to have a Dear Abby (may she rest in peace)....Really let's have a Dear abby...I know who would be just perfect for the postion....wont say who just yet....But we work on that later.....Perhaps a Vote...

Ok...let's get to the Point....Example:.....

Dear Abby.....I have just built my prized Model...a real beauty...i am so proud of it....Yet i don't know what to do with it....OMG Abby do i just go General....or should i go in the Big Boyz Club with it....Oh Abby Please Help....

Dear Abby....I have a Problem with a Moderator....What should i do....Please Abby Help......I have heard so much that i can no longer take it...Please Help.

Dear Abby......A few weeks ago i lost touch with a Fellow Modeler.......I have Posted in the Where's Waldo section.....But i have heard nothing....i am so Hurt.....

Guess the point is......if you can't take it like a Man....Then write Miss Landers.....Cause Abby is Dead

Cheers...Don aka XJ6

This trouble maker sSig_agreed.gifsHa_shakeshout.gifsSig_GoodOne.gif

Tom, at this point, I really have no idea what you , for the lack of a better word, are unhappy about at this point, but whatever it may be, you only have two choice's, either deal with it , and come to terms with how the forum is run, for better or worse, or not , and either stay or leave. I am really trying hard not to be a pickle with two nuts to you, I am really trying to be respectful to you, but thats I how see, stay and stop complaining about it here, or leave.

Edited by martinfan5