Model Cars Magazine Forum

1972 Hurst/Oldsmobile Convertible Is Finished!

mrmike

Thank you guys! The dash and console woodgrain are decals! I have yet to try the woodgrain painting process and I may try it someday. As long as there are woodgrain decals in the kit, I'll be using them.

Charlie, why do you need the uptop for a convertible? Isn't the idea behind a convertible is to have the top down and to see the interior? I have yet to understand why many modelers want to have a convertible kit, but to have the uptop to cover everything up. Nothing wrong with having the uptop in the kit, just don't understand the need to have it when you want to show off the interior.

I happen to love my new Nikon L310 camera with its 21X zoom and 14.1 megapixels, but it shows all the little flaws in my work. Especially with the small decals being off-centered. Even small dust particles show up and it is starting to annoy me. I guess I'll just have to try harder and do a better job.

I know of at least 2 others that offer separate Engine & Tranny.

AMT's 66 Fairlane GT/GTA has both Manual (GT) & Automatic (GTA) Tranny/s

so the Engine & Tranny are separate assembly's. Also the MPC 67-72 GTO's

have the Tranny separate from the block. At least all the 67's & 72's I have do.

And YES the 2 pc tranny is separate from the engine.

Does that mean the other version of this kit has a Different Tranny??

I know of at least 2 others that offer separate Engine & Tranny.

AMT's 66 Fairlane GT/GTA has both Manual (GT) & Automatic (GTA) Tranny/s

so the Engine & Tranny are separate assembly's. Also the MPC 67-72 GTO's

have the Tranny separate from the block. At least all the 67's & 72's I have do.

And YES the 2 pc tranny is separate from the engine.

Does that mean the other version of this kit has a Different Tranny??

Don't forget the Ford T Bolt kit has a seperate manual 4 speed and auto tranny.

Later-

Edited by Modlbldr

• 4 weeks later...

This Revell kit does have two transmissions, a 4-speed and a Turbo-Hydramatic along with two consoles for each trans. I like the choice offered to me as a builder since I can build one like I am here and another later using the 4-speed. I have found a resin front 442 grille online should I want to build 442 instead of a Cutlass convertible.

After the last coat of paint went south on me, I put this one back in the box for a little bit until recently. I have been thinking about repainting the Olds by stripping the paint and starting over again. I can only blame myself for the mishap with the paint and I know I can fix it by starting over.

• 1 month later...

Well, the Hurst/Olds is back on the bench! I have decided to strip the MCW paint and start over again using Tamiya TS-7 Racing White. I have heard of others using MCW white paint and having various issues with that paint and I guess it happened to me as well. I need a new start with this one so I can finish it and get it off the bench.

After giving the body a very liberal coating of Easy-Off and leaving it alone for a while, I have removed about 98% of the MCW white paint. A little sanding is required to remove the remaining paint and then I can prep and repaint the body. This time I'll be using Tamiya TS-7 Racing White.
Hurst34.jpg
Hurst35.jpg
Hurst36.jpg
More to come...

This afternoon, I plugged Gabriel Iglesias' DVD Aloha Fluffy into the DVD player and spent an hour and a half foiling and laughing. A truly talented and very funny comedian!

Hurst40.jpg

Hurst41.jpg

Hurst42.jpg

More to come...