Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ebay tonight

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251192416917?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

I just scored this MPC kit on Ebay along with a bunch of other new and unique kits and parts lots. I just thought this one was one of the best scores for the price. In 25 years, or more in the modeling hobby, this is the only one of these I've ever seen. So I bid on it and sniped it in the last few seconds before the auction ended.--- Nick

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251192416917?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

I just scored this MPC kit on Ebay along with a bunch of other new and unique kits and parts lots. I just thought this one was one of the best scores for the price. In 25 years, or more in the modeling hobby, this is the only one of these I've ever seen. So I bid on it and sniped it in the last few seconds before the auction ended.--- Nick

So your one of those pay to subscribe to www.bidnapper.com which basically cheats to win a listing on ebay or do you mean you bid in the last few seconds manually and won the listing in the last couple seconds ? It's very frustrating when your an honest person trying to win a auction and have someone using a service like bidnapper (which is against Ebay policies) to win a auction.

Edited by hooterville75

Automated shipper or not I've never lost an auction I HAD to have. I have lost them with less than 2 seconds left but only because it went over my absolute max I was willing to spend. If you bid the absolute maximum amount you are willing to pay you will win or get beat by someone willing to pay more....which is OK with me.

On the kit it's the MPC Ford Mk IV chassis with a new body. Decent kit that did not have a real long production run.

So your one of those pay to subscribe to www.bidnapper.com which basically cheats to win a listing on ebay or do you mean you bid in the last few seconds manually and won the listing in the last couple seconds ? It's very frustrating when your an honest person trying to win a auction and have someone using a service like bidnapper (which is against Ebay policies) to win a auction.

I fail to see the problem, one guy bids $10 the other $20 but puts his bid in the last few seconds, so the second guy wins.

Another example, the first bidder bids $20, but the items stays at the opeing bid of $5, the last few seconds another possible buyer bids, $15, so who wins now?

First of all bidding 37 minutes before the auction ended is hardly what I call "last second" or "sniping" for that matter. The auctioned opened at .99 cents, and two people proxy bid the thing from the opening bid up to $17.75 & $20.99 respectively, and then the last max proxy bidder had the remaining 37 minutes to outbid Nick. But like Dave said some people rather bid that way than baby-sitting the auction in the last 5 minutes. Bid your max and let the chips falls as they may.

Depends on the auction, if it something I want, and there doesn't seem to be a ton of interest in it (aka 0-2 bids during the run) I will wait until the last minute hoping that some people tossed a couple of cheap bids, and I can get it for the next bid increase (or opening price) which is the el cheapo method. If it's a kit with a bunch of bids where people are nickel and diming up the price the entire time I will wait until the last minute because erupting a high priced proxy bidding war just runs the price of the item up days before the auction ends which gives everyone time to consider whether or not they want to bid more. I will toss out my max bid with about 20 seconds left, cause yeah, I don't want the other people to have a chance to bid again. Besides if their proxy bid wasn't high enough to outbid me in the automated raise/call system on eBay they didn't want it as bad as I did anyway. The concept of bid snipping/auction stealing software is no different. Sure it bids at the absolute last possible second, but you still have to set a max bid for it to stop at, and it's not really any different than having the auction staff run your bids doing a phone bid in a live auction. If you get outbid on eBay it's nothing to be annoyed about. You either need to open your wallet further or accept the fact that people have bigger wallets than you do.

With 75k model kits on eBay on any given day the vast majority don't even sell, and that's not taking into account the people who seem to think they're cast in platinum. It's sorta that gag-line the auctioneer on "Storage Wars" says before every auction "Whoever has the most cash in their pocket can win it today!" That's the truth with any auction

Good for you.Just like that . if it's an item I really want , I wait til the last 3 or 4 seconds and put the max I am willing to pay in . Sometimes I win, sometimes I don't .

Doesn't make any difference when the winning bid was put in, be it in the first 10 seconds or the last 10 seconds. But I wait til the last few seconds to keep shill bids from running it up just for sport.

I fail to see the problem, one guy bids $10 the other $20 but puts his bid in the last few seconds, so the second guy wins.

Another example, the first bidder bids $20, but the items stays at the opeing bid of $5, the last few seconds another possible buyer bids, $15, so who wins now?

The person who bid $20.

I am fairly sure that is not cheating. It is no different than waiting until the auctioneer is about to call sold in a live auction and bidding. It is just another tactic to winning an auction.

You didn't over pay for the kit, might be slightly under market value for the H&M version but it was reissued in a regular box in the last 10-15 years. The reissue would go for no more than $30 now. While it is a cool kit, from what I understand the fit is very bad. I have one of the reissues from a few years back but haven't started it yet.

Umm.. I don't call bidding with thirty-seven minutes to go "sniping" or "last second". Sniping occurs in the last five to ten seconds, not in the last thirty-seven minutes. You simply paid more for it than anyone else who saw it was willing to pay.

Because of the time difference and the end time of most auctions on eBay I place my bid a couple of hours before auction end. I place my maximum bid and hope for the best. Earlier this week I won an AMT 1932 Ford Sedan with my maximum bet of $ 36.01. There was another bidder that placed a few bids to $ 35.00 not realising that he was very close, but he obviously decided that $ 35.00 was his maximum. Some you win, some you lose!

Edited by ChrisR

Cool Kit, good for you! Hope you build something equally as cool out of it.

I see nothing wrong with bidding in the last few seconds of an auction, I don't use a sniping program either. Just like a live auction where someone bids at the last call. Happens all the time. Bid late, bid with your max amount you are willing to pay.

I've been shill bid on twice on ebay that I could prove, first time seller tried to give me second offer even told me that he was "demonstrating" how the system works and bid over my max. Told me he would give the item to me at my highest bid, nope at the point where you shill bid or we go to ebay, got the item at that price. The other was more dishonest, turned it over to ebay he disappeared within a week of the complaint. Bidding early only tempts t dishonest sellers to shill bid and breeds the "Gotta Have It Fever" where the bidder blindly drives the item to crazy prices.

I don't see how sniping could ever be viewed negatively. The auction last x number of days or hours, ending precisely at y o'clock. The person making the highest bid in that time period gets the item. It's that simple, and there should never be a hard feeling, win or lose.

There's nothing wrong with using a sniping service! Nor is it expensive. I have used eSnipe.com for years. You schedule your bids when ever you want and I have mine set for a six second snipe. I buy the 'bid points' about once a year and I spend $10 at a time. You only pay if you win an auction. Average cost is about 25 cents per won auction. It's a no brainer for me!