Model Cars Magazine Forum

HUGE problem please help!

1957dodgeregent

Guest Sickfish

You can spray esy-off in the house but just use a Tupperware container so you can seal it tight and you can leave it for acouple days then pull it out and scrub it with a tooth brush.. :unsure: .OOOOh and don't use hers they get real upset about things like that, and use ruber gloves .

f5131803.jpg

Walt I'm sorry mate but I DEFINITELY gotta disagree with you.... Easy-Off should NEVER be used indoor's, for the purpose of stripping a model. For the oven fine, that's what it's really for. But this stuff is lethal to your lung's!!! Anyone with a breathing disorder could keel-over after inhaling this s**t! It's fine if you want to do it, just don't tell other people it's safe to do indoor's or without a mask at the very least!

As far as brake fluid goe's... It's more expensive, it's messy & it doesn't strip every type of paint as easy as Easy-off... Trust me... I've tried. Easy-off at $2-$3 a can is a way more cheaper alternative... Particularly if you're a regular paint-stripper... As I can be sometime's ;-) Lol!

Anyway cheers, Cliffo.

I've never had too much sccess with Easy Off myself except for stripping chrome. For me, it's brake fluid for the hard stuff that Simple Green doesn't touch. You don't need to toss the brake fluid after just one use. Seal it up in a Tupperware container (As was already commented on above, get your own - Do NOT, under and circumstances, use your wife's/girlfrie\nd's/ signifigant other's!) and you can use the same stuff for years!

(BTW: I can tell you one thing... I'M not "that Jimmy kid"! :P )

I use Purple Power or Westley's Bleche White to strip paint. Castrol Super Clean also works well. No harmful fumes,but you do need to wear rubber gloves when using it. I tried oven cleaner once and didn't really care for it.

Guest Sickfish

EZ Off oven cleaner? WOW

Thought that would damage the plastic.

Stupid question..How long is too long?

Yep Oven Cleaner... Doe's nothing at all to the plastic.... Doesn't matter how long it's on there. Depending on how "fresh" or "stale" the paint is, couple of hrs for fresh paint, overnight for older/staler paint.... You may need to re-apply if it's really old paint. The oven cleaner actually cake's the parts.... Just as it doe's when it clean's your oven.... I use it because it's cheap as chips & a hellava lot less messier than brake fluid :-)

Cheers Cliffo.

Walt I'm sorry mate but I DEFINITELY gotta disagree with you.... Easy-Off should NEVER be used indoor's, for the purpose of stripping a model. For the oven fine, that's what it's really for. But this stuff is lethal to your lung's!!! Anyone with a breathing disorder could keel-over after inhaling this s**t! It's fine if you want to do it, just don't tell other people it's safe to do indoor's or without a mask at the very least!

As far as brake fluid goe's... It's more expensive, it's messy & it doesn't strip every type of paint as easy as Easy-off... Trust me... I've tried. Easy-off at $2-$3 a can is a way more cheaper alternative... Particularly if you're a regular paint-stripper... As I can be sometime's ;-) Lol!

Anyway cheers, Cliffo.

Well I have to say that doing an oven and shooting a car for two seconds and sealing it up isn't bad at all , if you have a breathing problem they should be smart enough (NOT) to be using costic chemicals anyways.