Model Cars Magazine Forum

What size drill bit for spark plug wires or boots?

It seems I always needed more #80 bits for my wire holes. That or the higher 70 bits works for most spark plug wire sizes. It's easy to figure out .. get the size of the wire you use and use that to get a drill slightly larger. A #60 to #80 drill set is very handy for 1/25 models.

This is where you need a cheap set of dial calipers($10. to $30.00). You measure whatever wire you have and then grab the corresponding size drill bit. An index filled with bits is very handy to have. The x-acto index has the number size and the inch size printed right on it. An investment in tools is an investment in your modelbuilding skills and results.

Don't forget your spark plug boots! They can be easily simulated with a short piece of insulation from a slightly thicker piece of wire.

• 2 years later...

You can get a pin vise just about anywhere. Get a decent one though - the tiny bits are hard to hold if the chuck parts don't align well (the four metal parts that converge on the bit to hold it in place). X-acto and Tamiya both make nice ones.

As far as diameter, what diameter wire are you replicating? In scale wiring usually looks a little to small to the eye (8mm wire scales out to .012 in - a number 80 drill bit is .0135). Also, don't go big - I have seen models with "garden hose" for wires and that distracts more than adds to the look. I prefer 77 or 76 (.018 or .020), but that's just me.

Maybe I should have mentioned above I was and still am a Machinist for 14yrs now. I got plastic, digital(i dont like), mititoyo japanese steel linear calipers as well and inside/outside mics, bore mics, etc. See my avatar, Im sitting in the enine bay of my car, rebuilding the whole motor. I doubt im gonna break out any measuring tools for this model. Black and white knowledge isn't the same as experience!!! You guys put together some good scale stuff!!!! Thats what Im after :)

I was thinkin a distributor by parks or detail masters or if anyone knows any better ones let me know. Im building a Lincoln LSC pro street by Revell.

What size drill bits and whos got a good deal on those pen vices?

Morgan Automotive Detail make by far the better distributor

You don't know length of those by chance? This pro stock motor's Distributor is mounted horizontal as opposed to a regular V8, that sits vertical. It sits under the cold air intake, pointing towards the driver side. Base of dist is where it should be, up front, just sits sideways. To reach the passenger side plugs their gonna have to be super long.

You don't know length of those by chance? This pro stock motor's Distributor is mounted horizontal as opposed to a regular V8, that sits vertical. It sits under the cold air intake, pointing towards the driver side. Base of dist is where it should be, up front, just sits sideways. To reach the passenger side plugs their gonna have to be super long.

M.A.D wires are 2 1/2"

parts by parks are 2"

pro tech are 2 1/4 "