Model Cars Magazine Forum

57 chevy gasser

71drolds

heres a new project im starting on. i was looking through a Hemmings Muscle Machines mag and this picture of this chevy just struck me as really cool. i bought the black widow kit for the 150 body and got a old "spirit of 57" gasser kit minus the motor to use the flip front end and rear wheel wells along with some other stuff. i was warned that they wouldn't match up and sure enough, they dont. so i glued the hood shut on the 150 and cut off the front clip. i also trimed away all the inner structure. i swapped the lower quarter panels from the gasser to the 150, and thats where im at right now.

gasser002.jpg

57gasser030.jpg

57gasser031.jpg

57gasser032.jpg

57gasser033.jpg

57gasser034.jpg

57gasser036.jpg

Oh yeah, that is cool! I like how, instead of just radiusing the 150 quarters, you used the MPC quarters with the fenderwell lip.

Looks to me like the rear wheels are American "Daisy" mags (aka 200-S) and fronts are American mags.

Keep up the good work!

I agree completely, the build looks great. The rear wheels are "Daisy" mags (aka American 200S Racing wheels), you can get some resin ones from Competion Resins (I bought a few a while back and they are great).

The fronts could be American racing torque thrusts, and the rears are the 200-s as others have said. 200s were used on the TwoLane 55! The Badman 55 chevy gasser kit has the 200-s wheels for the rear. Maybe you could even use some of those parts to make your gasser if you can find one of those kits.

Edited by W117monte

57gasser031.jpg

Wow! That's a big difference between the two frontends! I knew they were off a little,but I didn't think it would be that much! Aren't both kits supposed to be 1/25 scale?

my thoughts exactly on the wheels. i knew the rears were daisy's, but i wasnt 100% sure the fronts were torque thrust.

on a side note. ive been scouring the net to find more picts of this car so i can get decals made for it. it ran from about '68-'70 around the midwest. the picture was taken at U.S. 30 dragway in indiana. the name of the car is copperhead. the sponsers were Mikes Pit Stop in lansing IL and i think A&W Engineering. does anybody know of this car?

I don't know much about the car you're asking about but I do love me a Tri-5 Chev gasser. The pics of the original car and the progress pics you've posted so far puts me in the front row with a bag of popcorn for this show. I'm looking forward to watching you put this one together!! It's gonna be sweet for sure!

I'm really concerned about the difference between those kits though. I have both of these kits and wanted to build both of them but not if they're that far off. I know the Black Widow kit is one of (if not the best) '57 Chevy models done so far. Anyone have any experience with the ol' MPC flip-nose kit?

yeah, both kits are 1/25! i couldnt believe the difference.

The Spirit of 57 if it was a real drag car could have a scaled down body to cut the weight and aero. They did it all the time including in NASCAR until that was put a stop to. So it may very well be in scale. Something you'll have to research.

The Spirit of 57 if it was a real drag car could have a scaled down body to cut the weight and aero. They did it all the time including in NASCAR until that was put a stop to. So it may very well be in scale. Something you'll have to research.

That wouldn't have been legal in the gas classes, or in any classes where a full-bodied '57 would likely run. It's just the usual variation you see in scale from one kit to another. Compare the AMT '57 from the '60s to the one from about ten years ago - vast size difference, similar to the MPC vs Black Widow.

That wouldn't have been legal in the gas classes, or in any classes where a full-bodied '57 would likely run. It's just the usual variation you see in scale from one kit to another. Compare the AMT '57 from the '60s to the one from about ten years ago - vast size difference, similar to the MPC vs Black Widow.

Well it sounded good when I typed it ... lol.

Well it sounded good when I typed it ... lol.

It's much more practical on a NASCAR car because it's got a completely non-stock chassis. Same with the "7/8" scale Top Sportsman cars like Christine and others - they were all tube chassis cars. To narrow something with a stock frame and interior, you're talking about a mountain of work, only to end up with a car that's not legal for much of anything, classwise.

It would be nice if there was a sort of "industry standard" for models, so if you bought four different 1:25 scale '57 Chevys, for instance, they'd all be pretty close to the same size. Unfortunately, that's not the case. I'll bet it's not nearly as big a problem with aircraft and military stuff.

thanks for the words of encouragement. well the firewall has to be totaly scratch built. the stock stuff wont work now that the front clip is removed. i used a piece of styrine to go across the top of the cowl. the sides were really giving me trouble. i just couldnt get the right shape to match the doors. then it hit me. since i butchered the "spirit" model anyway, i could cut up the flip front end (im sure someone will hate me for that)that perfectly matches the shape of the doors. so here is the front fenders mounted to the inside of the doors on the 150. i'll put up more pictures when i get the whole firewall scratched up.

firewall002.jpg

firewall003.jpg

Lookin' Good ... seems " great minds , think alike " !

Atco20571-vi.jpg

If anyone can appreciate the amt. of work that takes , it's me .....

This is the Base POST 210 57 Chevy :

*Brought back to Stock wheel wells in the rear

*Removed the 57 steel ribs between the side trim

*Reworked the front clip , so it fit's the body ( better ) & filled in the hood hole

*Also reworked the interior w/ a larger drive tran hump ( so it works w/ other amt kits chassis ), bumped the rear inter. back corners out, to allow for larger tires up under stock wheel well's i.e . Cheater Slicks

*Then smoothed out the entire interior , from that "dated pleated look" from the Disco era.

What's nice about this piece , it offers various options for builds , one can create a Stock , by cutting hood from frt. fenders, & attach the fenders to the body. ETC....

My personal plans are to create a weekend warrior Gasser & jack up the front w/ my "Big Boy Springs " w/o the front bumper.... just love that look

Have a few minor details to dial in & *should have this in Rubber by weeks end !

57ChevyFlipFront3-vi.jpg

suggested donor : the re~issue Spirit of 57 , or any amt/Ertl 57

57Chevyflipfront1-vi.jpg

57Chevyflipfront2-vi.jpg

Edited by Reliable Resin