Model Cars Magazine Forum

Time Machine 1967 Corvette

If you read the story, there are quite a few "questionable" claims made.

First it says "THIS CORVETTE WAS LAST DRIVEN REGULARLY IN THE FALL OF 1967!!! IT HAS BEEN DRIVEN ONLY 2,996 MILES FROM NEW ."

Then it says " THIS CORVETTE HAS BEEN STORED FROM THE TIME IT WAS PURCHASED NEW ON MAY 20, 1967 UNTIL APRIL 2012, IN THE TOTAL DARKNESS OF A ONE CAR, CLIMATE CONTROLLED GARAGE."

So... which is it? It was driven regularly until fall 1967... or it was never driven and stored from the time it was purchased? It can't be both!

Also... seatbelts never pulled out of their retractors? How in the world would you ever be able to prove that?

Car has never been driven by anyone but the dead owner? Prove it.

Car has never been in the rain? Never been washed? Prove it.

Only 3 people have ever sat in the driver's seat? Prove it.

Receipts for batteries "over the years?" If the car was in storage since the day it was bought and never driven, why would it need batteries replaced over and over?

Tires still filled with "1967 air?" Highly doubtful... they would have gone flat many years ago.

Lots of questionable claims there...

Guest Johnny

If you read the story, there are quite a few "questionable" claims made.

First it says "THIS CORVETTE WAS LAST DRIVEN REGULARLY IN THE FALL OF 1967!!! IT HAS BEEN DRIVEN ONLY 2,996 MILES FROM NEW ."

Then it says " THIS CORVETTE HAS BEEN STORED FROM THE TIME IT WAS PURCHASED NEW ON MAY 20, 1967 UNTIL APRIL 2012, IN THE TOTAL DARKNESS OF A ONE CAR, CLIMATE CONTROLLED GARAGE."

So... which is it? It was driven regularly until fall 1967... or it was never driven and stored from the time it was purchased? It can't be both!

Also... seatbelts never pulled out of their retractors? How in the world would you ever be able to prove that?

Odds are in 1967 he never used them, most people didn't.

Car has never been driven by anyone but the dead owner? Prove it.

They probably have confirmation from family people who knew him.

Car has never been in the rain? Never been washed? Prove it.

Didn't say that! Said never in the rain or washed "with a hose".

I know three people right now whose cars have never been out in the rain or snow. EVER!

Only 3 people have ever sat in the driver's seat? Prove it.

Prove it's not true! People knew this guy and knew his habits so it isn't that far fetched.

Receipts for batteries "over the years?" If the car was in storage since the day it was bought and never driven, why would it need batteries replaced over and over?

They never said it was never started after being parked. Just not driven. So there is always the possibility a couple batteries went bad from setting .

I know my grandpa would buy a new one if his ever went dead no matter the cause. Don't know why?

Tires still filled with "1967 air?" Highly doubtful... they would have gone flat many years ago.

Sorry Harry but I have the original spare tire from my 75 Cordoba I bought new and it still has 15 pounds of air in it. Just called and had my father-in-law check it after reading this.

They did say he had put aftermarket wheels and tires on it shortly after getting the car and depending on how they were stored you never know. But he may have kept them checked, in that case it wouldn't be technically correct but some 67 air might still be present! :lol:

Lots of questionable claims there...

Or not. ;)

Just food for thought.

We have seen many of these come and go and people will argue over them for years to come.

I just look at it and say "sweet looking Vette"! B)

I doubt alot of the claims as well, and the valve covers and alternator and air cleaner are not stock, but it it a beautiful car, and loads of great pics there for detail hounds!

A very nice car but the story smells funny.

He is the only person to drive it. How did the car get off the line ,onto the car hauler , off the car hauler ,moved around the dealership and other such before he bought it.

The amount of chrome doodads and geegaws under the hood make the untouched story a question . The story says this man was cheap as cheap can be yet the extras on the car ?

The paint on the exhaust has a funny burn off pattern.

Bolt heads next to each other under the car have different amount of surface rust. some are as shiny new others look like they came with the car.

Still a nice car.

HE ORDERED IT WITH BLACK WALL TIRES INTENTIONALLY AND AS SOON AS THE CAR ARRIVED, HE REMOVED THE BLACK WALLS AND PUT THE FANCY TIRE OF THE DAY ON THE CAR WHICH WAS A DOUBLE WHITE WALL WITH A BLUE STRIPE. It's obvious some modifications were made, even if they are not all listed NOT DRIVEN SINCE THE MID-1980S I interpret this as the car was taken out for late night bonzai runs so as not to be seen, and when the car was stored it was in the same place in the same way for all those years. If Bloomington has looked at the car they should be the ones to have verified the pedigree of the car. Makes for a great story regardless. The car is a low mileage mid year Corvette, in great survivor condition and all documentation. That could say enough. However if the car hadn't been registered for so long who is to say the speedo cable was not unhooked while he was out on those late night runs.

Under cover for 45 years but with a 1980's Olympic jacket placed on the seat? Did he climb under the cover just to put the jacket on a seat "nobody has ever sat in"?

The write up is embarrassing and full of hyperbole. They should delete all the stuff and just show pictures of the car.

Guest Johnny

Under cover for 45 years but with a 1980's Olympic jacket placed on the seat? Did he climb under the cover just to put the jacket on a seat "nobody has ever sat in"?

The write up is embarrassing and full of hyperbole. They should delete all the stuff and just show pictures of the car.

That does not mean he didn't ever uncover it to start it or in this case to place an item into it, now does it? It means just what it says. it sat under a cover in the garage for 45 years.

Any statement can be twisted into a negative as we have witnessed here in this thread.

That does not mean he didn't ever uncover it to start it or in this case to place an item into it, now does it? It means just what it says. it sat under a cover in the garage for 45 years.

Any statement can be twisted into a negative as we have witnessed here in this thread.

I was pointing out the ridiculousness of the writing - not really to be taken as I actually thought the cover never came off. The writing states that its been under cover for "45 years". You can't argue with exactly what the writing says. It's poorly written and full of exaggerations. If you like that style of writing, that is fine - but there is no need to try and defend it. Edited by Erik Smith

Exactly. The claims made are ridiculous, not provable, and contradictory. Among other silly claims made, the car can't possibly be both a low-miles car that was only driven occasionally until fall of '67 and be a car that was put under cover and into storage since the day it was bought new! (both claims are made in the story!)

And the chrome alternator and Offy heads make the claim that it is AN AMAZINGLY ALL ORIGINAL 1967 427/390 4-SPEED CORVETTE COUPE a little hard to swallow.

This car is NOT an untouched survivor, as the story infers. It may very well be a genuine very low mile, mostly original '67 Corvette... but the "story" is obviously full of holes, and I'm surprised the car is displayed with all of those dubious claims listed.

Here's my take on the guy and the car. He already had another car. He won money in Vegas and purchased this car. He didn't have to drive it unless he wanted to. At some point he was married either before or after the car's purchase. He drove the car only occasionally, hence the low miles. He loved the car and made little personal upgrades over the years. His wife felt he loved the car more than her (probably) and they divorced. The car has odd aftermarket thingies on it because those were what he liked.

a lot of this story does not add up to me , but i do have a story that is crazy ,, true story , back in 1962 this guy had just got married and just bought a new house , well he one day in August he drives home with a new 62 Vette , his wife went totaly nuts , and i mean totaly ,, so he said , ok fine i wont drive the car again , so with the top down and only 35 miles on the car he parked the car and never touched it again ,, a few weeks ago i thought about this corvette and i drove by the house , and sure enough there it still sits 51 years later and has never ever ever been touched a 35 mile corvette totaly destroyed