Model Cars Magazine Forum

Touchy, Touchy Terms

Greg, that bug could have had the "automatic stick shift" in it instead! :lol:

No, it had the standard 4 speed box with the gearlever on the floor, VWW1 is actually part of the V.W UK heritage collection, it was there when I was working for them back in the early 90's, and this thing it like new, but it does get driven on the road from time to time, they have some pretty nice examples in their collection.

I

saw that coming. How many of those did they make?

Greg, I worked on VW's on and off over 25 years and I have only seen 5 or 6. We used on setup on a trike we built for a paraplegic customer.

one i am really getting sick of is "minty". the correct term is mint.unless we are talking about a mouthwash? another one that really bothers me is "canopy" for snug-top or camper shell. or "murdered out" for a vehicle on which everything has been painted black including trim and wheels.there are hundreds more,but these came to mind right away.

OK here we go. When a fellow modeler tells me I have to do this or that to my model. No I don't! That is like chalk squeaking on the board. When someone in my club (no names) always criticizes my model and I look at theirs I want to scream at them. I don't. I just think, "Did you come all the way here to tell me that?" When someone asks a question as an opening to talk non-stop to you and continues to talk over you every time you try to get a word in after that. OK, that's my rant. ....On another note, when you are dining out and they bring you the check isn't that the bill?

Edited by rmvw guy

Yeah, I hear you on that.

I cannot count how many times I have been told (I'm sure it is usually well intentioned) that I NEED to build a such and such.

No, sorry, I NEED to build what I want; unless you want to hire me to build what you think I need to build.

Nevertheless, it does come across as nails on a blackboard to me too.

Channellocks - a term used for almost all generic slip joint pliers, but a term that is registered as a trademark by Channellock, Inc., my employer for the last 31 years. incidentally, the blue color on Chabnnellock tools is also a registered trademark, and has been proven in court, refering to a certain shade of blue in the color spectrum, and extending to several shades on either side of it. Incidentally, when I started at Channellock in 1980, just about all hand tools sold by Sears (Craftsman) were manufactured by Channellock, until the business went to China....There is NO 'Sears' factory, they have ALL their products 'farmed out' so to speak.

Actually that is only partially true. Channellock made most of the griping tools(pliers etc.) For the 15 years I have worked at Sears, most of the forged Craftsman tools like wrenches and sockets had a source code from Danaher. It is unfortunate that in the last few years they have been outsourced to China. Darned shame too. The old Craftsman tools had a quality feel to them that you couldn't get from China. Just another way our great leader Eddy Lampert has put his stamp on Sears. Taking a great name and tool and trashing it for a few cents more in his pocket. When I first started working at Sears we use to get a lot of people from Europe and Asia come in a buy "Made in USA" tools. You have to wonder how much it costs Sears to sell a wrench that costs a little bit less because it is made some were else. Sad.

It is more of a situation but it really rattles my cage when someone invents a word that is kind of like another word just to make them sound smarter or know more than they do. Example: On a number of home improvement shows I have noticed that when someone is gluing something togeather rather than saying " I am going to glue these two boards togeather with adheasive." there are a couple of people that have started saying " I am going to adheed these two boards togeather." as is adheasive adheeds things. Just makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up. Brrrrrrrr!

" I am going to adheed these two boards togeather." as is adheasive adheeds things. Just makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up. Brrrrrrrr!

What makes it worse is that an adhesive "adheres" things together, not "adheeds". I agree that people who use big words incorrectly to sound smart actually sound dumb!