Model Cars Magazine Forum

Cleaning the Purple Bath

After using the Industrial purple for a couple of cars it got pretty dirty.

Here's my solution.

Also on a separate note: While soaking a car I put a heavy piece on aluminum on the car to get it submerged. A day later after pulling the car out, it had almost dissolved the Aluminum.. Learn everyday..

P1050829_zps36708e29.jpg

I bought a Mesh Colander and some Coffee Filters, grabbed a Funnel from the garage. Used them to pour the Goo back in the jug..

P1050834_zps4cc761aa.jpg

P1050836_zpscce8a368.jpg

This is what was left over...

P1050838_zps9edbbf57.jpg

Edited by pandamonium2112

Nice tip. Simple, effective, and cheap. What's not to like?

And to make it even simpler and cheaper, you don't really need the sieve. Just put the coffee filter in the funnel!

That's what I do. Works fine.

Nice tip. Simple, effective, and cheap. What's not to like?

And to make it even simpler and cheaper, you don't really need the sieve. Just put the coffee filter in the funnel!

The problem that I've had is when you put a coffee filter in a funnel and pour liquid in, it presses the filter to the sides of the funnel and it is no longer an effective straining area. By using the strainer, I get more usable surface from the coffee filter. The panty hose tends to follow along the same line at times although I still use that method in my garage with oils and gas.

• 2 weeks later...

Great tip, but I have question to the community and I hope you don't mind Steve. I have had a pond for several years now and it seems to be less effective. It is in the garage does freeze in winters and has been well used. My question is does it have a shelf life or use life, or needs to be stirred. This is a question I have wondered and hope to get some others experience on the matter. Thanks

I filter mine every time I use it. I usually pour it back in the jug so I filter it. I would imagine that it's power will dwindle over time, but for $10.00 I think anyone could replace it every 2 years. As far as freezing, you should read the label but I'm almost certain you should try to avoid it. Freezing can make some pretty drastic changes in chemical compounds.

Hope some of this helps out..

BTW..Good to see a fellow Idahoan posting. Keep at it my friend...

Great tip, but I have question to the community and I hope you don't mind Steve. I have had a pond for several years now and it seems to be less effective. It is in the garage does freeze in winters and has been well used. My question is does it have a shelf life or use life, or needs to be stirred. This is a question I have wondered and hope to get some others experience on the matter. Thanks

If you keep it sealed and you're not using it, the shelf life is probably quite good.

When you start using it, it diminishes some from each use.

Filtering it after each use doesn't take much time but will extend its usable life considerably.

As it degrades, it will become less effective ~ taking longer and longer to strip paint.

Thanks for the response guys, your thoughts and experience are what I am starting to see but I wasn't sure. I guess it's time to refresh the pond. Thanks Steve, your right not many of us on here but I do hope to contribute. I have lots of WIP over the last few years that will start showing up in under glass as the ideas and inspiration come to fruition. In short, I'm addicted to styrene again. :rolleyes: