Model Cars Magazine Forum

Real names in your sig line!

Harry P.

Hi, my name is not Jeff Sauber but I am a plastiholic. :rolleyes:

Time to revisit a golden oldie:

"It's simple, the way I see it.

1. It's the rule.

2. I don't pay the bills to provide the forum.

3. Therefore, I don't get to make the rules.

4. Gregg pays the bills to provide the forum.

5. Therefore, Gregg gets to make the rules.

6. Gregg made the rule.

7. Therefore, it is the rule.

8. If I don't like the rule, I don't have to post here.

9. If I don't follow the rule, Gregg won't let me post here.

10. Because, it's the rule."

Quoth the raven.

ph34r.gifph34r.gifph34r.gif

According to Travelers Insurance only 14% of identity fraud is a result of online activity or data breaches. 78% comes from simple theft of personal property (wallet, purse, checkbook, etc...) As I've said before, if you're too afraid to use your real name on a model message board, you probably shouldn't leave your house. Ever.

I know this is all a big joke about identity theft but it's serious and can really screw you up even if you haven't had a wallet or checkbook stolen. It's not funny when it happens. I know there's information in databases and anything can get hacked into. It's still better not to add to all that. Keep laughing.

I know this is all a big joke about identity theft but it's serious and can really screw you up even if you haven't had a wallet or checkbook stolen. It's not funny when it happens. I know there's information in databases and anything can get hacked into. It's still better not to add to all that. Keep laughing.

Your fears of posting your full name here are totally unfounded. Seriously. Think about it. Your real name is no secret, is it? I assume you use your real name in your everyday life? Your boss knows your real name? Your bank? Your doctor? Your credit card issuers? The DMV? The IRS? Social Security? Your mailman?

See my point?

Posting your full name here does NOT put you at any increased risk of identity theft. It just doesn't, plain and simple.

The rule here is full name.

If you don't like that rule, or don't agree with that rule, or feel that rule is unreasonable, you have every right to not join this forum. The choice is yours... agree to our rules and become a member, or disagree with our rules and join another forum. Simple as that.

It doesn't get any easier than that, does it???

I really don't understand the problem people have with using their full name. In all honesty unless you shred everything, have a locked mail box, give out zero information about yourself and purchase nothing by credit card or through the internet, you stand a small chance of idenity theft.

Personally I'm not concerned about it, my name is clearly listed on my business cards, my phone number is available to whoever wnats it.

People know where I work, what time I leave for work, what time I get home and which of my cars I'm driving.

The powers of this forum want my real name;

No problem;

Donald R. Gardner.

But where does a name on a model car board fit into all that? Just because it's the internet does that make it different? Is the internet that scary of a place? We give our names to strangers in the real world all the time and never think twice about it. Just an hour ago I ordered a pizza over the phone, I gave the girl my address, phone #, debit card # and exp. date(never gave my name - turns out they don't even need it) That's what I mean, if using a real name on a message board is that big of a deal, then those folks should never get a bank account, buy a house, get a credit card, buy a car, get utilities, rent an apartment, etc... If they're gonna get you, they're gonna get you. Don't live in fear.

But where does a name on a model car board fit into all that? Just because it's the internet does that make it different? Is the internet that scary of a place? We give our names to strangers in the real world all the time and never think twice about it. Just an hour ago I ordered a pizza over the phone, I gave the girl my address, phone #, debit card # and exp. date(never gave my name - turns out they don't even need it) That's what I mean, if using a real name on a message board is that big of a deal, then those folks should never get a bank account, buy a house, get a credit card, buy a car, get utilities, rent an apartment, etc... If they're gonna get you, they're gonna get you. Don't live in fear.

well said.

I will bring up again why we require/request your name here.

We are an online family (ohana) of model car builders.

We like to know who or whom we are talking to online.

We are not lurkers, trolls, or other wanna-be's online prowling web sites looking for victims.

If you wish, I could require that anyone viewing the forum be registered and logged in to do so.

I would feel better about that myself, and that's one setting I have not implemented, yet.

I may, and if I get any feedback, negative of course, I would just ban you!!!

Just kidding, I would simply just delete your account..... B)

You stand a bigger chance of having your identity stolen from the doctor's office than from here. Your personal information is a public record- ever own a piece of property? apply for a loan? been admitted to a hospital? Think about all of the people who have seen that paperwork.

For about $25 a year, I have identity theft insurance as part of my homeowners' policy and they will take care of any issues that come about of theft.

For whatever reason, my seventh grade daughter brought home some paperwork from school today and they asked for her social security number. My wife wanted to know why they needed that information and I kiddingly replied that with all of the budget cuts, they must be planning on getting a credit card in her name to help pay the school bills! B):lol:

I will try for one week to not allow "Guest" viewing of the forum

That way, we all know who or whom is looking at who or whom.

And Danno, this one's for you!!!

post-3-12828869151579_thumb.png

LOL! Yup. Buh-bye! :rolleyes:

(Although that appears to be a small family. Only one truck.) :)

ph34r.gifph34r.gif

So far I've PM'd about 150 members who don't have their whole name in their signature. So far. (I PM them as I see them).

Apparently there are a whole lot of people who didn't bother to read the rules that they agreed to when they signed on! B)

I wonder if these are the same people that would sign a contract without reading it??? B)

A lot of chatter about nothing........if you own a 'puter and are online anywhere for any reason, guess what?

When you get right down to it even if you don't have a 'puter, you can be found and your identity stolen.

It's really simple folks (at least in my mind) if you don't want to post your name for whatever reason, you probably shouldn't be here, or anywhere else for that matter.

Even with a bogus name you still have an IP addy so what's the point you guys that don't want to use your name are trying to make?