Model Cars Magazine Forum

Dec. Issue

Mine arrived yesterday, too, as I posted in a stand-alone thread elsewhere.

Very good issue. I'm only part way through reading it, and it has already taken longer to read than the SA(no E) Febbhooairy '13 pamphlet.

B)

If you look at the number of pages, MCM and SA have close to the same. MCM is merely printed on heavier paper, making it appear thicker.

If you look at the number of pages, MCM and SA have close to the same. MCM is merely printed on heavier paper, making it appear thicker.

I did not say anything about 'thickness.' I was speaking of the quality of the substance (as David G. said). It did not take long to read through the elementary-level writing of SA(noE), but it takes longer to read, comprehend, and absorb the higher degree-of-difficulty material produced by MCM.

It takes longer to read the same number of Michener pages than Dr. Suess pages.

B)

Did Golden Press not realize that they would be short-staffed for the holidays or did a lot of their people call in "sick"...? And how far ahead do they start printing issues? I would think that the December issue would have been put to bed in November for shipment before December, but I'm not a publishing company. Whatever. The fact that the new issue is available just gives me another reason to get to a LHS asap (I'll still pick up SA and FSM at Barnes and Noble, too).

John- The printing company can't print a magazine until it has it to run. The problem tends to be getting the completed magazine into Golden Bell on time so it can be scheduled to print and shipped close to the date on the cover. It has been well documented here in the past as to why there are delays and if you want more information, contact Harry or Gregg as they are involved in the production of the magazine.

Not sure where or which LHS will have MCM, I have yet to find it in the Charlotte market since I dropped my subscription last year. I have hit several Barnes and Nobles' and they do not stock it. If you find it, let me know!

I did not say anything about 'thickness.' I was speaking of the quality of the substance (as David G. said). It did not take long to read through the elementary-level writing of SA(noE), but it takes longer to read, comprehend, and absorb the higher degree-of-difficulty material produced by MCM.

It takes longer to read the same number of Michener pages than Dr. Suess pages.

B)

Ah, I see what you are saying. I stand corrected. I would not say that SA has elementary level writing tho. The writing is just as good as MCM, just a diffrent style and approach. In fact, I've seen the same contributors in both magazines.

Edited by midnightprowler

John- The printing company can't print a magazine until it has it to run. The problem tends to be getting the completed magazine into Golden Bell on time so it can be scheduled to print and shipped close to the date on the cover. It has been well documented here in the past as to why there are delays and if you want more information, contact Harry or Gregg as they are involved in the production of the magazine.

Not sure where or which LHS will have MCM, I have yet to find it in the Charlotte market since I dropped my subscription last year. I have hit several Barnes and Nobles' and they do not stock it. If you find it, let me know!

Mike, try Hobby Town down in Monroe, on Dickerson Blvd, between 74 and... Old Charlotte Highway, I think. I have bought several issues there since we moved here in late '09. I think maybe the Hobby Stop in Rock Hill, exit 77 off I-77 has the magazine, too, but I would call them 1st. Thanks for the info re: printing.

Ah, I see what you are saying. I stand corrected. I would not say that SA has elementary level writing tho. The writing is just as good as MCM, just a diffrent style and approach. In fact, I've seen the same contributors in both magazines.

It's not necessarily the writing ... it's more in the editing.

If the editor cuts out half the pictures and eliminates the big, technical words (more than two syllables) and deletes half the original text, the contributor's article becomes "easier" to read for the snap-kitters and soccer moms.

It's called 'dumbing down' and the lowest common denominator demographic ends up dictating the end product.

My two cents and too sense(able) worth. B)

Yeah, and the 2014 cars got here about six months before 2013, too. :lol::D

It did....Feb '13 issue of SA w/ the blue '66 Mustang on the cover...I got it in the mail several days before the Dec issue of MCM which came Jan 8th.

Go Broncos! B)

Yes! Been a great season.

Edited by Rob Hall

I got SA and FSM at Barnes and Noble this weekend; didn't go to the LHS for MCM yet. I'm almost embarassed by the quality of SA, but at least it's reliable- I know it will be there on time, unlike MCM. My wife said I should get a subscription (or two or...) but whether to subscribe to a lesser quality or less reliable is a dilemma. Then again, I still like the thrill of the hunt. I wonder how Kalmbach can produce a magazines like FSM and SA that cover two very similar subjects yet have such different editorial quality.