Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16 1970 Snake and Mongoose Resin "Hot Wheels" Dragsters: new project 3/24/13

Hello.......thanks guys for the kind comments........I really do appreciate them........I got both frames painted .......H.O.K. True Blue Pearl and Dupont Jarrett Red........I also made some extra roll bar padding......the chrome wheels were stripped and painted Alclad.......I made some valve stems.........and weathered the tires........I will work on the engines tomorrow......thanks for looking.

DSCF7255_zpsf2cdd375.jpg

DSCF7260_zps39553f24.jpg

DSCF7263_zps159def31.jpg

DSCF7265_zps5388b2f9.jpg

DSCF7267_zpsbeb40ee8.jpg

DSCF7269_zps71bc4026.jpg

Great work John... Those chassis look great in paint. Nice work. The rims look killer too. Keep up the great work.

I forgot to mention how good the tires look too. I know it's not easy to sand these rubber tires down that perfect. You knocked them out of the park.

Edited by Mooneyzs

Great job with the frames, the paint is looking incredible. I'm taking notes on these, since I have that 1/25 Don Garlits' Rear Engine Dragster, which has quite similar engine and suspesion etc... The wheels and tires look very good too, they need to be 1:1 scale. ;)

Chris is right, those tires are amazing and I know they're a bit of a challenge. I also like how you spot color marked them for the chassis they go with. Nicely done. Carry on...

Will we be seeing these in a few weeks at DSC9?

I think John should bring these works in progress to the DSC. I would love to see them in person at this stage.

Hello.......thank you all very much for the kind comments........I started to assemble the engines.......all chrome was stripped and painted Alclad........the engine blocks painted H.O.K. True Blue Pearl and Dupont Jarrett Red.......I dressed them up with "Pro Tech" : fuel line,spark plug wires and nut and bolt ends.......all fittings I made with styrene hex rod that I drilled out ,cut and sanded........then I airbrushed them with Tamiya Clear red and Blue.......I will finish up the engines tomorrow.......thanks for looking.

DSCF7292_zpsfa37cec8.jpg

DSCF7270_zps2fd7ef91.jpg

DSCF7271_zps40e66f2a.jpg

DSCF7272_zps661c435a.jpg

DSCF7273_zps00ef646e.jpg

The realism you get with metal finishes, tires, hardware and lines...STUNNING. I love that you chose to build these cars, John- it just blows me away that your taste in subjects totally mirrors my own! But holy BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH, my 1/25 avatar cars are NOT WORTHY!!!

I agree with Brad - killer stuff. What paint did you use on the red blocked engine's blower front to make it look like light gold/dirty chrome?

Hi Dave.......I airbrushed Tamiya Gold Titanium over the chrome Alclad........then I gave a light wash with "Folk Art" Acrylic Dark Gray........thanks.