Model Cars Magazine Forum

round 2 website...

towtruck

Does it have to be paired with the Kit Car to have those decals again??

But, We Are getting a Number of Petty re-issues lately, so I was wondering

if the LN Race car hauler would be one of them too??

Whether separately or teamed with the Kit Car makes No difference to me!!

I can't imagine the race car hauler would have Petty decals, it is a Ford... (wouldn't Petty back then have had a Dodge truck for a hauler?)

it's the way it was originally issued.

And word on the street is they're going to cook up something similar to this, too, out of the AMT C600 City Hauler...

http://www.rmauctions.com/lots/lot.cfm?lot_id=391409

Petty ran Fords for a while. That's why Polar Lights has a model of his Torino Talledega.

http://round2models.com/models/polar-lights/talladega-stock-car

One year, 1969, out of protest because Chrysler insisted he continue to run Plymouths while Dodge drivers got the superior Charger Daytona. Petty would get his winged Road Runner Superbird for 1970.

As for the hauler, you used whatever would get you from race to race to race. Brand loyalties didn't run that deep.

Edited by Brett Barrow

One year, 1969, out of protest because Chrysler insisted he continue to run Plymouths while Dodge drivers got the superior Charger Daytona. Petty would get his winged Road Runner Superbird for 1970.

As for the hauler, you used whatever would get you from race to race to race. Brand loyalties didn't run that deep.

Petty Enterprises ran Ford for one season after an argument with Plymouth. Richard wanted to switch to Chargers for 1969 and Plymouth said "No, you are a Plymouth driver". Richard responded telling them noone was going to tell him what he could and could not drive. He went across the street (as he put it) and struck a deal with Ford. Realising thier mistake, Plymouth created the Superbird for 1970 specially for Richard Petty. It worked and he came back to Plymouth in 1970.

As for the Kit car. No brand loyalties don't run that deep, bur Richard was all Chrysler in 1972 when they had the Dart. It was hauled by a Dodge truck. When AMT paired the Dart kit with the Ford hauler Lee blew his stack and made AMT pull the kit from production. This is why the combo kit is so rare. Being a very easy going sort Richard was just going to let it go, but his mother Elisabeth held the purse strings for the team and she urged Lee to take care of it (as if he wasn't already on it) and get the kit production stopped. If AMT does re-issue the combo Lee will be turning over in his grave.

Thank you , Rob and Steve !

I obviously assumed that , since AMT / MPC got married back in 1986 (that long ago already ?!?!?) , that all formerly-marked-"MPC" kits would be under the AMT banner .

Thanks again :)

At one time, they did that...but in the recent Round 2 era, reissues of MPC kits are generally boxed as MPC.

At one time, they did that...but in the recent Round 2 era, reissues of MPC kits are generally boxed as MPC.

I'll have to keep that in-mind for my future searches :D . It's certainly heartwarming to recognise that Round2 has seen fit to revitilise the coveted MPC moniker , and catalogue them as such :D .

Man oh man , I can hardly wait for the Demon and Dart Sport reissues ! Now , let's see if Round2 will reissue the late 90's 1971 Duster 340 (for obvious reasons) and , hopefully , the ol' MPC 1971 Road Runner (with the 1972 bumpers and tail lights , please !).

:D

Man oh man , I can hardly wait for the Demon and Dart Sport reissues ! Now , let's see if Round2 will reissue the late 90's 1971 Duster 340 (for obvious reasons) and , hopefully , the ol' MPC 1971 Road Runner (with the 1972 bumpers and tail lights , please !).

Why would you want a 1971 Roadrunner with 1972 bumpers? Wouldn't it be easier to just as for a 1972 Runner? :huh:

:D

Why would you want a 1971 Roadrunner with 1972 bumpers? Wouldn't it be easier to just as for a 1972 Runner? :huh:

I'm hoping that both sets of bumpers , etc. , would be included , that way one could build either a '71 or a '72 , or a combination thereof .

Yes , I'm aware of the intrinsic differences between '71 and '72 ; easy changes in-scale .

hopefully , the ol' MPC 1971 Road Runner (with the 1972 bumpers and tail lights , please !).

You just know this tooling exists. and has kept me from paying some of the ebay prices to get another one of these kits. I would buy a couple of them as either a 1971 or a 1972

Edited by gtx6970

Petty Enterprises ran Ford for one season after an argument with Plymouth. Richard wanted to switch to Chargers for 1969 and Plymouth said "No, you are a Plymouth driver". Richard responded telling them noone was going to tell him what he could and could not drive. He went across the street (as he put it) and struck a deal with Ford. Realising thier mistake, Plymouth created the Superbird for 1970 specially for Richard Petty. It worked and he came back to Plymouth in 1970.

As for the Kit car. No brand loyalties don't run that deep, bur Richard was all Chrysler in 1972 when they had the Dart. It was hauled by a Dodge truck. When AMT paired the Dart kit with the Ford hauler Lee blew his stack and made AMT pull the kit from production. This is why the combo kit is so rare. Being a very easy going sort Richard was just going to let it go, but his mother Elisabeth held the purse strings for the team and she urged Lee to take care of it (as if he wasn't already on it) and get the kit production stopped. If AMT does re-issue the combo Lee will be turning over in his grave.

The smart thing to do these days be to include the hauler's decals on the Kit car's sheet and issue the hauler separately with something different, that would avoid any cross brand licensing issues, but with Petty's team now running Fords I'm sure they wouldn't have as much of a problem with it now as back then.

You just know this toling exists. and has kept me from paying some of the ebay prices to get another one of these kits. I would buy a couple of them as either a 1971 or a 1972

Exactly ! I'm sick of seeing these original-paintings-from-the-Van Gogh-archives prices !! That's why I absolutely love it when certain kits are reissued : it drops the prices monumentally on epay !! Case-in-point : no more $50.00 + for the AMT 1975 E-100 van kit !!

I'm very much looking forward to paying $20 - $25 for a brand new ( including the freakin' decals !!) 1971 Demon reissue as opposed to feeling like I'm at Sothbey's holding-up a sign with a number on it during a bidding war !!