Model Cars Magazine Forum

Gratuitous...? Hell YES! God bless Mopar!

But if you think about it, if you buy any of new big 3 muscle cars and put the same amout of money into it for what say a new lambo costs, you'll have a faster car. It's just a better bang for your buck

But then there's the whole "I put enough money into my Mustang/Camaro/Challenger to purchase a stock Ferrari/ Lamborghini/ Porsche only to be able to beat a STOCK super car" argument. It all boils down to this: Get what you want with your money to make yourself happy, but don't forget there will always be someone with a faster car.

But then there's the whole "I put enough money into my Mustang/Camaro/Challenger to purchase a stock Ferrari/ Lamborghini/ Porsche only to be able to beat a STOCK super car" argument. It all boils down to this: Get what you want with your money to make yourself happy, but don't forget there will always be someone with a faster car.

Exactamundo! ??

If done right you can build a mustang/challenger/camaro that's quite a bit faster, better handling, and have overall better performance for thousands less, maybe it's just me, but IMO, a "super car" is just an overpriced price of junk that you're paying for the name and to brag "I have a ________. " Not to mention you're comparing apples to oranges, a factory muscle car and a factory "super car." For example, the 2012 Lamborghini Aventador LP700-4 runs 10.70's I'm the quarter mile, and it cost $379,700. For a quarter of that money you can have a 8.00 second street legal car, and you could build three of them for the price of one Lamborghini. Like I said, it's overpriced junk. Sorry for getting off topic, back to the OP...

Edited by Dragfreak

I think you totally missed my point. What I'm trying to say is your pouring all that money into it just to beat a stock super car, and most of the time the guys that buy them modify them right off the bat. So then you have a massive money hole that can compete with some cars in a a straight line (Which is not what super cars are built for) now take it on a road with lots of curves and if you want to be competitive you might as well go and replace your suspension, brakes, tires,ect,ect. Then at the end of the day is it really worth throwing all that money into it when you can just go pick one up for a little more? (By the time you make it as versitile as any super-car your going to have spent way more than you mentioned.) So best thing to do is compare stock cars to stock cars and then compare modified cars to modified cars, simple enough rule to follow.

You also totally missed my point, When I gave the example in terms of drag racing it was exactly that, an example so none of the suspension, brakes, or tires would need to be replaced, you would build a car made to be thrown into corners and handled hard with overall better performance, like a drag car, even though its not my specialty, I'm sure a better car can be built for less money. I'm not a genius, but I would rather throw all that money into building a better car that is cheaper than something else more expensive that doesn't perform the same. Unless someone wants a car based on style or personal preference, then a super car is just a waste of your hard earned money. Your simple to follow rule doesn't quite hold it's own either, you say stick to comparing a stock car to a stock car, a modified car and a modified car. Well that doesn't work. Let me present yet another example, Let's try your rule with two modified cars. Let's take a Toyota bodied Nascar, and a Toyota bodied IHRA/NHRA Top Fuel Funnycar. These are two modified cars as they're not stock. But is there a problem here? I see that you cannot compare these two because they're made for two different types of racing. Now, let's look at two stock cars. A 2012 Camaro and a 2012 Lamborghini. I notice that one is a super car. I also notice that one is a muscle car. These two types of cars cannot be compared because they were designed to do two different things. A super is a car with high performance, style, and limited production numbers. A muscle car is a performance car powered by a v8 engine at an affordable price. you can see two very different definitions to two very different cars. They simply cannot be compared because they are to different types of cars. Now for a rule that can't be beat and is very simple to follow, comparing the same type of car that's made for the same reason is fairly simple to understand and follow.

Best regards

Edited by Dragfreak

Don't worry, I was ignorant when I was young too. Feel free to stick to your guns but please at least don't contradict yourself in a debate. If you want to duke it out more lets do it via message so were not airing dirty laundry for all to see. :)

Dragfreak... You're entitled to your opinion. You're also entitled to purchase & spend money on a beater to try to be better than any super car, for considerably less money. You wouldn't be the first & you won't be the last to do something like that.

Take for example Peter Klutt's Super Cuda. Built to rival & compete against the Ferrari Enzo - A super car. I believe he spent well over $300K to build the Cuda. I'm a Mopar guy & I love that Cuda.... But... The Cuda, in 10, 20, 30+ years isn't going to be worth anymore, and probably less actually, than the $300+K he put into it. The Enzo, in today's market is worth well over $1 million. In 10-20-30+yrs.... It's going to be worth anywhere north of $5-10million. This my friend is the difference between a stock supercar & a custom made supercar wannabe.... ?

Dragfreak... You're entitled to your opinion. You're also entitled to purchase & spend money on a beater to try to be better than any super car, for considerably less money. You wouldn't be the first & you won't be the last to do something like that.

Take for example Peter Klutt's Super Cuda. Built to rival & compete against the Ferrari Enzo - A super car. I believe he spent well over $300K to build the Cuda. I'm a Mopar guy & I love that Cuda.... But... The Cuda, in 10, 20, 30+ years isn't going to be worth anymore, and probably less actually, than the $300+K he put into it. The Enzo, in today's market is worth well over $1 million. In 10-20-30+yrs.... It's going to be worth anywhere north of $5-10million. This my friend is the difference between a stock supercar & a custom made supercar wannabe.... ?

While I do not wish to continue this conversation leaving the original post, I am not going to try to explain and go anywhere near the idea of how easily a car can be built to out perform a super car, I'm not sure why you are talking about the value because the builder who built it to his taste is the only one who sees the true value in the car. Cars are money pits, and once you modify them to your own taste it does not retain that value to another person with different tastes. I think the builder of that Cuda doesn't care at all about it's future value because of the satisfaction the car gives him every time he drives it, it takes his mind off of the 300k he put into it. Edited by Dragfreak

Dragfreak imho you hit the nail right on the head the person that builds the car is doing it for themselves and he/she is all that matters it all comes down to ones personal preference

There's no denying that. Each to his own. Different horses for different courses.

I specifically mentioned Peter Klutt because he owns Lengendary Motorcar. He actually built the Cuda to perform & go as fast as the Enzo.

Anyway... Figures just released have the Hellcat Challenger doing the 1/4 mile in 10.8secs ( drag radials ) 11.2sec on street tyres. Fastest Muscle car ever. Most powerful muscle car ever.

We shall see. That was dodges own testing on a pre production car. The 13/14 Shelby's have been proven to be mid 10 cars on drag radials...

Plus, 15 challenger order banks opened mid last week and the hellcat was supposed to be on there. It's nowhere to be found and the word on the street is that it's delayed because of drive by noise standards and a couple other EPA related things. I sure hope it comes out as I think it will look good in my garage..

Quarter mile times were NHRA certified.....so it does not matter who did the testing....10.8 with drag radials, 11.2 on production tires with a car that weighs 4400 pounds. This car posted ET's faster than the GT500 and the ZL1...puts out more horsepower than either one....simple facts. To date...this is the most powerful PRODUCTION musclecar built....first Supercharged HEMI ever....!!!!

Edited by dieseldog1970

Quarter mile times were NHRA certified.....so it does not matter who did the testing....10.8 with drag radials, 11.2 on production tires with a car that weighs 4400 pounds. This car posted ET's faster than the GT500 and the ZL1...puts out more horsepower than either one....simple facts. To date...this is the most powerful PRODUCTION musclecar built....first Supercharged HEMI ever....!!!!

I hear what you are saying. The times are not in question. They are what they are. What I am saying is this was not an off the lot production car. They are having issues now bringing it to market with the Feds. I also have a 14 gt500 and know that pretty much anyone can make it go faster than motor trends 11.6 on stock tires. It takes practice but low low 11s can be had. Drag radials and mid 10s are point and shoot. I can't wait to have one of these too : )

Check this out!

For many, the Challenger looks outdated and border comic-eqsue, especially when opted with 1970s-style flamboyant colors, flashy pin stripes and decals, but no one can deny that its flagship edition, the 707hp 2015 Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat is one helluva fast machine.

How fast? How about a National Hot Rod Association (NHRA) certified quarter-mile time of 11.2 seconds at 125mph (201km/h) with stock Pirelli P275/40ZR20 P Zero tires, which drops to just 10.8 seconds at 126mph (203km/h) with drag radials?

Just to get an idea of what kind of 1/4 mile times we're talking about here, with regular road tires, the Hellcat not only trumps its direct competition like the Camaro ZL1 that does it in 11.96-second at 117 mph (188 km/h), but it's also faster than the 2014 Viper SRT GTS (11.4 seconds) and the last Corvette ZR1 (11.4 seconds)!

After these results, Dodge's well-oiled marketing machine touted the 6.2-liter supercharged V8 Challenger Hellcat SRT as the "fastest and most powerful muscle car ever"

"It wasn’t long ago that a 10-second car, was a full-on race car. The new 2015 Dodge Challenger raises the bar to a level some of us never thought we’d see,” said Dodge boss, Tim Kuniskis. "Not only can Challenger run 10s on the drag strip, but you can also fit your family and drive cross country. This new 2015 Dodge Challenger is the ultimate GT muscle car."

We wonder how Ford and GM will respond…

By John Halas

Article about how the new Challenger ran the quarter in 11.2 seconds on stock tires and a 10.8 on better tires. MUST GET SOOOONNNNN

2iabf9i.gif

Article---> http://www.carscoops.com/2014/07/707hp-2015-dodge-challenger-srt-hellcat.html

Edited by DynoMight

I feel as if this is very appropriate here.

10414926_714353761953735_455041586947697

Also at :40 is that a blow off valve I hear?

So Dodge gets bought "buy" a European company....hmm

Did he mean:

So Dodge gets bought, buy a European company, or...

So Dodge gets bought by a European company..

;^)

Edited by Luc Janssens

I'd love to see this car kitted...would be nice for Revell..yet they are doing a '13 instead, inexplicably.

Typical of Revell... 5yrs+ to finally re-do the 70 Cuda... It's no wonder the Japanese companies are over-taking Revell/Amt.

So Dodge gets bought "buy" a European company....hmm

Did he mean:

So Dodge gets bought, buy a European company, or...

So Dodge gets bought by a European company..

;^)

At this point when it comes to finding stuff on the internet, I'm almost impressed to see European, bought, or even company spelled right............