Model Cars Magazine Forum

What does it take to make a correct Little Red Express?

I know I've seen this discussed before, but I am failing on a forum search so it must have been sometime ago.

Apparently there are some issues with the AMT Dodge Little Red Express kit as it comes from the box. I picked up several of these back when they were $7 at Walmart, for general Dodge truck projects, but will probably do one as a LRE.

If I can at least get the big issues I can stick a note in the box to help me out when I finally get to it. I'm sure I'm not the only one that could use the information as it is just a matter of time before Round 2 re-pops this one.

Here, Aaron, read through these, they may help.

http://www.dodgeconnection.com/LilRedInfo.html

http://www.dodgeconnection.com/NALRETO_Rules.html

The rules you have to download, but there are a couple of sections that explain differences between the 78 that the kit represents and the 79 that could probably be built with a donor and/or modified grille out of the Revell Ramcharger from the "Gone Fishing" set. It does appear to me, without digging out the kit, at least one main issue between the kit and the 1:1 is that it appears the 1:1 only came with an automatic, and I'm pretty sure the kit has a manual.

Yup, the engine and trans are the main issue. The kit has a 440 B block engine and an A833 4 speed, rather than the 360 LA small block and Torqueflite 727 that the 1:1 has. There is also an issue with the rear ride height, it sits way too high. Seems that the rear springs are holdover parts from the original long bed version of the kit, and are for the 4x4 option. That one is an easy fix, simply shave down the area where the axle mounts to the spring flush with the lowest leaf. That'll correct the height issue.

For the LA small block I believe the recently reissued Dart Sport has the right engine. To make a 79 Little Red Express you would need the decals from the 78 kit and the Pumpin Iron kit; the box art shows a 78 but the contents are a 79 LRE without the decals.