Model Cars Magazine Forum

´77 Monte Carlo- seventies style lowrider

Antikainen

Not my style, but great attention to detail! In fact, I believe yours is the first build of this kit that I've seen with the bumper rub strips done correctly in gray, including the white accenting in the grooves. Seems like everyone just paints them black, but this is the way they actually looked on 1:1 77 Montes, it was one of the few differences from the previous model year.

Thanks guys!

Doobie:

I painted body with tamiya sprays. First I layed titanium gold, then lame flake ( which is really intented for lexan bodies but works on polystyrene also. You just have to remember it dries really slowly ).

Next step was masking. Then I shot pearl white from greater distance to sides and hood, top and trunk centerline areas. Some masking job again and champagne gold areas were painted.

I used formaline chrome tape to outline different painted areas.

Next I grabbed my ink pens and started making lines and patterns, designing them on the flow ( and it shows I think. ) :rolleyes:

Next It was time to shoot some more lame flake, following with few coats of regular clear.

Of course some careful sanding was some between all coats of paint.

Robberbaron:

Yeah I noticed that those bumper strips should be gray, it´s always useful to do your research when starting with new kit.

I also separated headlights and grille from front bumper to make model look less toy - like.

One thing that effects to the whole appearance was painting upper surfaces of bumpers body color as they are in 1:1 car.

Here are some work - on - progress pics from interior:

12-vi.jpg

I used instruments from hasegawa ´66 Caddy decal sheet:

13-vi.jpg

Of course there should be full custom, long hair upholstery on a lowrider from this era but I thought I´ll make it more stock looking to make a contrast to custom paint on the body.