Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

The odd wheelcover is AMT 1961 Ford; the others are 1960 Ford fullsize (vintage AMT shallow ones). Correct wheelcovers are the same as on 1959 Ford and should be available through Modelhaus.

Second, that's no gluebomb - it's got no fenderskirts, louvers, scoops or fins added! :lol:

Thanks Chris!

So I could also use the wheels from the Revell Skyliner?

These came in today's mail.

001_zpsqb6qte2a.jpg

010_zps3omeoqt9.jpg

Both are very clean. The '61 has glue burns from the boot cover. No matter as it's getting the roof and chassis from an AMT '62 Bel Air. The Skylark will get a '67 Chevelle chassis.

NICE...! been after the Skylark one to build a family replica for years.

Just came today. One of my "Holy Grail" kits!

I've always been a huge '61 Olds fan & now I can finally build one!

This is the Flintstone resin kit. It includes the body, interior tub, dash, chassis, front & rear bumpers, & a set of pewter tail lights.

I'm on my own for the glass, wheels & tires, & the steering wheel. I have a resin '60 Olds steering wheel that should work nicely, I'm hoping the glass from an AMT Belair kit will fit & I'll just have to figure out what to use for wheels & hubcaps.

It's a beautiful clean casting! Almost no blemishes of any kind, zero pinholes, & straight as an arrow!

I'm very pleased!

Steve

DSCN4097_zpsefdl5ggb.jpgDSCN4100_zpstjx39nta.jpgDSCN4098_zps4zqqxtmg.jpg

This is the Flintstone resin kit. It includes the body, interior tub, dash, chassis, front & rear bumpers, & a set of pewter tail lights.

I'm on my own for the glass, wheels & tires, & the steering wheel. I have a resin '60 Olds steering wheel that should work nicely, I'm hoping the glass from an AMT Belair kit will fit & I'll just have to figure out what to use for wheels & hubcaps.

It's a beautiful clean casting! Almost no blemishes of any kind, zero pinholes, & straight as an arrow!

I'm very pleased!

Steve

DSCN4097_zpsefdl5ggb.jpgDSCN4100_zpstjx39nta.jpgDSCN4098_zps4zqqxtmg.jpg

That is nice Steve..! I have the old 4door version model...love it and its styling of the body.

It's not a model car........but if it was it'd be among the rarest.......

RENO-vi.jpg

A Rivirossi AHM 1/48 scale plastic model kit. I wanted on of these back in 1972 but they sold for $20.....a HUGE sum back then. Took me this long to find a extra mint kit.

Edited by Dave Van

I'm very pleased!

Steve

Looks really good. I purchased the 57 Ford 4d wagon the other day and now it looks like i will have to get this one too.

62 Bel Air might be a good donor for glass,or maby Modelhaus have replacement glass for the 61 Invicta hardtop,from

the looks of they share the same/similar roof design. If the casting isnt too thick,maby it can be open up for engine as

well.

Looks really good. I purchased the 57 Ford 4d wagon the other day and now it looks like i will have to get this one too.

62 Bel Air might be a good donor for glass,or maby Modelhaus have replacement glass for the 61 Invicta hardtop,from

the looks of they share the same/similar roof design. If the casting isnt too thick,maby it can be open up for engine as

well.

The casting is pretty thick Tommy, but that's what a Dremel is for. :D

I've already tried the glass from the '62 Belair, the windshield from the '62 Catalina & the Lindberg '61 Impala & the glass from the AMT '61 Invicta. No luck!

I could probably make one of them work but I'm not sure how the final appearance would be.

I think it would bennefit from vaccu-formed glass mostly because of the flexibility of the material versus rigid kit glass.

I have a line on a set from a fellow modeler who has offered to make a set for me.

Steve

The casting is pretty thick Tommy, but that's what a Dremel is for. :D

I've already tried the glass from the '62 Belair, the windshield from the '62 Catalina & the Lindberg '61 Impala & the glass from the AMT '61 Invicta. No luck!

I could probably make one of them work but I'm not sure how the final appearance would be.

I think it would bennefit from vaccu-formed glass mostly because of the flexibility of the material versus rigid kit glass.

I have a line on a set from a fellow modeler who has offered to make a set for me.

Steve

Steve, I think Modelhaus did this body too (as a complete kit) perhaps his "glass" would work for you too....but you may have to wait awhile..

Edited by mike 51

A Rivirossi AHM 1/48 scale plastic model kit. I wanted on of these back in 1972 but they sold for $20.....a HUGE sum back then. Took me this long to find a extra mint kit.

Nice. Rivarossi is supposed to make some good quality stuff. I'll be buying my first HO set later this year (I hope).

RENO-vi.jpg

Awesome. :D

There's not enough model train kits; a few 1/35th but that's another discussion on it's own.

Edited by Relic_Models

Awesome. :D

There's not enough model train kits; a few 1/35th but that's another discussion on it's own.

I have the 1/35 German locos too.......1/25 General and some HO static kits.

I also have a bunch of 1950's era loco kits in various scales.

Steve, I think Modelhaus did this body too (as a complete kit) perhaps his "glass" would work for you too....but you may have to wait awhile..

That was my first thought as well Mike. I'm guessing the Modelhaus ones would probably be the best bet. But in light of what's happened to the Holthaus family, I'm not banking on the fact that they'll ever start producing any parts again.

They may just decide to end it now, & I can't say that I would blame them. If I were in their shoes, I may find it difficult to get back into making parts after such a traumatic experience. Especially being as a retirement was planned in the next couple of years anyway.

Steve

Saw this pile of stuff amongst the photos for an estate sale in Westchester. One of those boxes intrigued me; it looked like a Cox gas-powered car:

17416704436_b2c1556d6a_b.jpg

So I went over there at 5 AM to be fourth in line when they opened at 9; made a beeline for the basement, and sure enough:

17440745112_0600539afc_c.jpg

I'd forgotten Cox made a Riviera; in fact this is the first one I've ever seen. Luckily they weren't asking much for it.

16820179694_2fc3b5f027_c.jpg

Ick. After cleanup and reassembly:

17416690346_206a1d0321_c.jpg

17442352131_d9fcda4e6a_c.jpg

Rear bumper's missing (and I scoured the basement to no avail; hello Modelhaus...?) but the taillights, dashboard and steering wheel were in the box. Parked it next to my '64 promo for size comparison, 1/25 vs. 1/20:

17442349791_5571425c16_c.jpg

17442708435_1171bb4017_c.jpg

I also got that old Tru-Scale International pickup since it was cheap and solid, and cheap... it cleaned up well.

16822461013_f3c4c673b1_c.jpg

17255153930_fb08aa248e_c.jpg

Now a heads-up: They also had a Mattel Vac-U-Form in the original box; they were asking $45.00 for it. I passed, but if any of you Chicago-area modelers need one, the sale starts again this morning at 9:00 AM and if it's still there you can probably get it cheaper.

1.jpg

Here's the address:

11141 Shakespeare

Westchester, IL 60154 (just off the NE corner of Cermak Road and Wolf Road).

Good luck!

Edited by ChrisBcritter

As I wrote before, I love the '69 - 72 Pontiac G/P. I have a copy of all of the MPC kits to be restored.

AugustProjects007_zpsd3b98584.jpg

AugustProjects008_zpsa7f3bafa.jpg

I was the original builder of this one back in 1970. I stripped it down, and it is ready for primer and paint.

AugustProjects010_zps20f2af12.jpg

AugustProjects011_zps463a0db1.jpg

2010_0320mamameetingmarch20100195.jpg

I may not go with the Honeycombs, but I am definitely going with the whitewall tires.

I have not photographed either of the '72's I have, but one will be a Hurst SSJ, as I have removed the vinyl roof from it, and the other is a pretty clean one moulded in Brown, which I may leave alone, as I like the color the kit is moulded in.

We seriously need a new one of these. The annuals are going into orbit.

Charlie Larkin

That was my first thought as well Mike. I'm guessing the Modelhaus ones would probably be the best bet. But in light of what's happened to the Holthaus family, I'm not banking on the fact that they'll ever start producing any parts again.

They may just decide to end it now, & I can't say that I would blame them. If I were in their shoes, I may find it difficult to get back into making parts after such a traumatic experience. Especially being as a retirement was planned in the next couple of years anyway.

Steve

I'm sorry to say that that thought has crossed my mind a few times, as well. I do hope that isn't the case.

If it does become the case, and I can certainly understand why, I hope someone takes over the business; it's too valuable a resource to lose.

If I had enough money to make an even halfway sane offer if they decided to sell, I'd seriously consider doing it.

Charlie Larkin

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...